wheel spacers need help

well i'd be concerned about my 31s tuckin up in my fender if i had some, i'm currently on 30s and i never fully flex (not that i can anyhow) but my wheel tuckin up aint really a concern for me at this point, my main concern right now is stickin that tire out so i can fit 31s on the MJ (come income tax time) without rubbing, i want my tires to stick out atleast an inch past my fender,

Redwolf

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well i'd be concerned about my 31s tuckin up in my fender if i had some, i'm currently on 30s and i never fully flex (not that i can anyhow) but my wheel tuckin up aint really a concern for me at this point, my main concern right now is stickin that tire out so i can fit 31s on the MJ (come income tax time) without rubbing, i want my tires to stick out atleast an inch past my fender,

Redwolf

From what I know about you I wouldnt be worried about tucking the tires up into the fender. I think you are more into splashing through mud holes than climbing over obstacles. As far as using spacers to clear 31's you will probably be trading rubbing the control arms when turning for rubbing the back of the fender when turning. Either way you will probably rub a little but not that much. If you just want it for the look of the tires sticking out go for it. If I was in your shoes I would order one set of 2" spacers and try them on the front first if its too much stick them on the back and order 1.25" for the front. If you like the 2" on the front order anouther set for the rear. You said your friend was going to get them for your birthday or Christmas why not one set for each occasion and if you realy want to sling mud try taking off your fender flares I don't think florida cares if you have any tire coverage, but someone with chipped paint or cracked window may.lol

Redwolf

From what I know about you I wouldnt be worried about tucking the tires up into the fender. I think you are more into splashing through mud holes than climbing over obstacles. As far as using spacers to clear 31's you will probably be trading rubbing the control arms when turning for rubbing the back of the fender when turning. Either way you will probably rub a little but not that much. If you just want it for the look of the tires sticking out go for it. If I was in your shoes I would order one set of 2" spacers and try them on the front first if its too much stick them on the back and order 1.25" for the front. If you like the 2" on the front order anouther set for the rear. You said your friend was going to get them for your birthday or Christmas why not one set for each occasion and if you realy want to sling mud try taking off your fender flares I don't think florida cares if you have any tire coverage, but someone with chipped paint or cracked window may.lol

i do like goin through mud holes but splashing through is all that happens, VA doesn't have really go mudding spots (well atleast not the hampton roads area). and i'd rather rub the fender that's melted some than the control arm, but i see what you're sayin about buyin one set and if i like it buy another,

Redwolf

Redwolf

i do like goin through mud holes but splashing through is all that happens, VA doesn't have really go mudding spots (well atleast not the hampton roads area). and i'd rather rub the fender that's melted some than the control arm, but i see what you're sayin about buyin one set and if i like it buy another,

Redwolf

and I knew you were in va not florida I don't know what I was thinking about. Not sure about va and the wheels sticking out.

VA really doesn't have a fender/tire clearance law.  The only part of the Code that addresses it is that on any vehicle, if any part of the vehicle extends more than 4" from the edge of the fender it must have a clearance marker/light.

That said, there are certain parts of the Commonwealth that I would NOT take a chance in, regardless of how the code is written.  Local LEO's can and will ticket for "illegally" modified vehicles.

Jeff

VA really doesn't have a fender/tire clearance law.  The only part of the Code that addresses it is that on any vehicle, if any part of the vehicle extends more than 4" from the edge of the fender it must have a clearance marker/light.

That said, there are certain parts of the Commonwealth that I would NOT take a chance in, regardless of how the code is written.  Local LEO's can and will ticket for "illegally" modified vehicles.

Jeff

actually it's 3" past the fender flare, just found out today from the state trooper at my inspection station, he also said i'd be fine with 2" past the flares  :banana:

Redwolf

so i can't really find 2" so i'm steppin it done to 1.5" in the rear and found these http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-5-inch-5x4-5-Jeep-Hubcentric-Wheel-Spacers-1-2-Studs-XJ-KJ-KK-ZJ-MJ-TJ-/380972451618?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2002%7CMake%3AJeep&hash=item58b3ba4722&vxp=mtr but i don't really know what i'm lookin at messurement wise, also that says for 02 wranglers and libertys but would they still work for the MJ? i also found a set of black 1.25 that i'm not sure about http://www.ebay.com/itm/2pc-1-25-HUBCENTRIC-Jeep-5x114-3-to-5x127-Black-Wheel-Adapters-Spacers-with-Lip-/151488643095?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Year%3A2002%7CMake%3AJeep&hash=item23456d4017&vxp=mtr

Random facts;

all factory XJ & MJ 15" wheels steel & aluminum were 5.25" back spacing,

even the narrow steel 15x6 wheels were 5.25"bs.

Some ZJ steel 5 star 15"x7's were 5" Backspacing,

but they didn't come stock on XJ's

YJ (Renegade)& TJ 15x8's were 5.5" back spacing, and they fit nicely on XJ/MJ's but those were never stock on XJ/MJ's.

As far as what tucks into the fender flares,  how much lift you have comes into play with this too.

The more lift,

the greater the angle the tire (and the whole axle) will be at when the tire reaches the edge of the flare.

I could tuck in narrowish 33's&35's on 15x8's with 4.75" bs & 6" lift,

but switching to 4" Backspacing forced me to move the ft flares way up to gain back the travel.

Tucking in the stock wheel well really only works for 9.5-10.5-11.5" tires anyway,

by the time you get to a 12" wide tire, you're pushing the flare and fender out most of the time to get it inside the ft fender.

and you're rubbing the spring tower on the inside.

Last point,

widening the rear track width to match the body width is more pleasing to the eye,

but costs turning radius if you get carried away.

A nice narrow rear axle helps maneuver around all the trees we have here in the northeast.

Random facts;

all factory XJ & MJ 15" wheels steel & aluminum were 5.25" back spacing,

even the narrow steel 15x6 wheels were 5.25"bs.

Some ZJ steel 5 star 15"x7's were 5" Backspacing,

but they didn't come stock on XJ's

YJ (Renegade)& TJ 15x8's were 5.5" back spacing, and they fit nicely on XJ/MJ's but those were never stock on XJ/MJ's.

As far as what tucks into the fender flares,  how much lift you have comes into play with this too.

The more lift,

the greater the angle the tire (and the whole axle) will be at when the tire reaches the edge of the flare.

I could tuck in narrowish 33's&35's on 15x8's with 4.75" bs & 6" lift,

but switching to 4" Backspacing forced me to move the ft flares way up to gain back the travel.

Tucking in the stock wheel well really only works for 9.5-10.5-11.5" tires anyway,

by the time you get to a 12" wide tire, you're pushing the flare and fender out most of the time to get it inside the ft fender.

and you're rubbing the spring tower on the inside.

Last point,

widening the rear track width to match the body width is more pleasing to the eye,

but costs turning radius if you get carried away.

A nice narrow rear axle helps maneuver around all the trees we have here in the northeast.

didn't know about the backspacing and as far as lift and tucking wheels i gathered that; however i did not know my turning radius will be effected, but i i still don't know how hubcentric spacers work on drums, i thought the hub was under the drum,

Redwolf

How about this.....The center hole of the rear drum is were the Hub is.....The center hole on the front rotor is were the hub is......They want you to find spacers that fit snugly over these hubs.

Now if you want to get serious.....you need Bi-centric spacers to really rock and roll

Have been running 1.25" Spidertrax now for about 5K miles with no worries.  When I bought the truck the 31x10.5's on stock wheels were rubbing everywhere.  I've had to get the angle grinder out and barely trim the front fender liners.  Depending on the lift and tires you plan, try to stay with the smallest offset that works.  Your front end will thank you.  All the best.  

if you send him a msg he will make you a pack that has 1.25 and 2in

thanks but i do got 1 question before i buy spacers tomorrow. yall say i need hubcentric how do that work with drums on the rear axle?

Redwolf

They'll sit on the axle shaft flange. It sticks out a little from the drum.

thanks guys, that clears a lot up, i'm just tryin to do some research before i buy the wrong spacers but now YXMJ throw a monkey wrench in the mix with bi-centric, should i still stick with gettin hub-centric or try to find bi-centric,

Redwolf