Where Do Ya Buy Your Tires Online?

redwolf624

i've been needin new tires since i got my mj inspected and with taxes right around the corner i'll be able to afford em without spendin my whole paycheck on a set of 4, i've looked at tire rack, 4wheelparts, 4wd.com and jcwhitney and it all comes to around 650 after shippin, just lookin for options cause i can always have my tires mounted and balanced anytime by my buddy, just tryin to find the cheaper route and yes i've checked around town at tire shops,

Redwolf

Discount tire direct and get the tire warranty too. Although most places will price match so really it's who gives free shipping. Which they all do LOL

Edit: just looked at 4wd and they are offering price match and 50 dollar rebate on tires right now.

I've been a Discount Tire customer for at least a couple of decades.  They've had a "beat any advertised price" policy for as long as I've been doing business with them.  They beat magazine advertised prices for my first set of Super Swampers back in the days when that was the only tire Interco made and online tire sales were still someone's dream on their 386 computer... LOL

I bought some snow tires through tirerack and had them mounted at a walmart.  worked out great for me. :D  my local discount tire would not match their price, even with shipping and mounting costs.  told me they only match brick-n-mortar prices. :fs1:

mostly I just keep an eye on craigslist and local 4wd forums for screaming deals on practically new tires. :yes:

thanks yall, right now i got my top 2 picks for AT tires, either the general grabber at2 or the bfgoodrich all-terraom t/a ko, but my list is a total of 5 tires, bridgestone duel a/t revo 2, firestone destination a/t, and goodrear wrangler armortrac and the general and bfgoodrich i listed as my top 2 picks, does anyone have any feedback on these 5 tires?

Redwolf

I bought my General Grabber AT2's online from Canadian Tire, but I doubt they'd ship them to you... unless there's a Crappy Tire down in VA. It's a pretty good tire, even in snow and on ice. Only times I've been stuck in snow, I've been pushing it with my bumper and had the frame and cab sitting on top of it with the wheels off the ground, and that's with open diffs. They wear pretty well, don't make a huge amount of noise on the highway, and look pretty aggressive.

Before I put the Grabbers on, I had the BFG Total Terrains. Or at least three of them... it was like that when I bought it. Don't remember what the other once was, some cheap thing, originally on the back but I swapped it to the front. All four were at about half tread. They sucked even in the wet. After the first snow we got, I knew I needed something better, and replaced them with the Grabbers. The difference was amazing. It was snowing while I was having them installed, and they honestly felt better in the snow than the BFG's did on pavement. The Grabbers also hang onto gravel roads a lot better than the BFG's did as well, although they do like to throw rocks.

I had KOs on my Dakota for a while. hated them.

why didn't ya like the bfgoodrich pete?

The general grabbers have almost the same tread design as the BFG and are cheaper.

that much i know blue, my dad has had the grabbers untill ya couldn't get em locally here so now he has the bfgoodrich

I bought my General Grabber AT2's online from Canadian Tire, but I doubt they'd ship them to you... unless there's a Crappy Tire down in VA. It's a pretty good tire, even in snow and on ice. Only times I've been stuck in snow, I've been pushing it with my bumper and had the frame and cab sitting on top of it with the wheels off the ground, and that's with open diffs. They wear pretty well, don't make a huge amount of noise on the highway, and look pretty aggressive.

Before I put the Grabbers on, I had the BFG Total Terrains. Or at least three of them... it was like that when I bought it. Don't remember what the other once was, some cheap thing, originally on the back but I swapped it to the front. All four were at about half tread. They sucked even in the wet. After the first snow we got, I knew I needed something better, and replaced them with the Grabbers. The difference was amazing. It was snowing while I was having them installed, and they honestly felt better in the snow than the BFG's did on pavement. The Grabbers also hang onto gravel roads a lot better than the BFG's did as well, although they do like to throw rocks.

thanks for the feedback and story,

Redwolf

Treaddepot.com is where I bought tires for my focus and I also bought the same cooper AT3 31X10.50's that Jeep Driver bought.  Mounted and Balanced for 82$ less than he did.

That is why you shop online.

They are on the wife's TJ.  We love them.  Much more aggressive looking tread than the BFG TA KO's.  More modern design.  They ride smoother.  Wife thinks her TJ is a Cadillac now.  We'll see on the tread wear.

I bought some snow tires through tirerack and had them mounted at a walmart.  worked out great for me. :D  my local discount tire would not match their price, even with shipping and mounting costs.  told me they only match brick-n-mortar prices. :fs1:

mostly I just keep an eye on craigslist and local 4wd forums for screaming deals on practically new tires. :yes:

Thats weird cause my buddy just ordered mud terrains tires through Discount and they actually told him to go home and find a better price so they could match. When he went back they actually found a cheaper price on the web for him when they were price matching lol. 

Treaddepot.com is where I bought tires for my focus and I also bought the same cooper AT3 31X10.50's that Jeep Driver bought.  Mounted and Balanced for 82$ less than he did.

That is why you shop online.

They are on the wife's TJ.  We love them.  Much more aggressive looking tread than the BFG TA KO's.  More modern design.  They ride smoother.  Wife thinks her TJ is a Cadillac now.  We'll see on the tread wear.

One of our trainers at the gym swears by the cooper at tires. He loves them and recommends them to everyone.

i'll check out the coopers, i've heard of em but never really seen em in person, round here don't really sell em,

Redwolf

I've been a Discount Tire customer for at least a couple of decades.  They've had a "beat any advertised price" policy for as long as I've been doing business with them.  They beat magazine advertised prices for my first set of Super Swampers back in the days when that was the only tire Interco made and online tire sales were still someone's dream on their 386 computer... LOL

So why would you do business with a tire company that is admittedly screwing you by overcharging unless you can find a better deal to force their hand? If they can sell at a lower price why don't they? Because they stick it to anyone without a comparative price. If that is who you want to do business with fine. I prefer folks with more integrity. 

Walmart is the cheapest place to mount and balance tires near me, too. They are often about 1/2 of what the tire places charge. If you are going over-sized you will need to take the tires and rims in while off of the vehicle. They are not supposed to install non-factory sizes onto vehicles. The "newer used" is a great way to go because many people buy a tire size they do not like, a tire type the do not like, and the hard-core guys swap them out quickly as the tires are best when new. 

bridgestone/firestone = crap chinese tires.  i prefer bfgoodrich personally

Bridgestone is a Japanese company that owns numerous brands and makes tires all over the world. It is funny because those of us who are old enough remember that the Japanese got their start ripping off everyone they could. Bridgestone began as a Firestone rip-off and now they own Firestone. Your Goodrich's are also foreign owned by Michelin ( France.) Both Bridgestone and Michelin ( remember them? The owners of BFGoodrich?) manufacture tires in *China* as does Goodyear and probably 90% of international labels. MAXXIS, which has a large following, is an entirely Chinese owned company the Cheng-Shin Rubber Ind. Co.,Ltd.  

​As to the question at hand: I have bought tires locally, from TireRack, and I  bought 4 mud tires for the MJ Tuesday 2/4/14 from NTWOnline.com. They were delivered today 2/6/14. I have had things I like and dislike about them all. If you buy a Chinese made tire try to stay with one made by the big companies and not a home-grown Chinese brand. Michelin, Bridgetone, etc... have their own plants in China and control of the product as well as in interest in maintaining their quality. Testing has shown the higher end Chinese-made tires to equal their rivals made elsewhere while the cheapest all-Chinese tire, like home brands in Eastern Europe for example, suck. 

So why would you do business with a tire company that is admittedly screwing you by overcharging unless you can find a better deal to force their hand? If they can sell at a lower price why don't they? Because they stick it to anyone without a comparative price. If that is who you want to do business with fine. I prefer folks with more integrity. 

Walmart is the cheapest place to mount and balance tires near me, too. They are often about 1/2 of what the tire places charge. If you are going over-sized you will need to take the tires and rims in while off of the vehicle. They are not supposed to install non-factory sizes onto vehicles. The "newer used" is a great way to go because many people buy a tire size they do not like, a tire type the do not like, and the hard-core guys swap them out quickly as the tires are best when new. 

bridgestone/firestone = crap chinese tires.  i prefer bfgoodrich personally

Bridgestone is a Japanese company that owns numerous brands and makes tires all over the world. It is funny because those of us who are old enough remember that the Japanese got their start ripping off everyone they could. Bridgestone began as a Firestone rip-off and now they own Firestone. Your Goodrich's are also foreign owned by Michelin ( France.) Both Bridgestone and Michelin ( remember them? The owners of BFGoodrich?) manufacture tires in *China* as does Goodyear and probably 90% of international labels. MAXXIS, which has a large following, is an entirely Chinese owned company the Cheng-Shin Rubber Ind. Co.,Ltd.  

​As to the question at hand: I have bought tires locally, from TireRack, and I  bought 4 mud tires for the MJ Tuesday 2/4/14 from NTWOnline.com. They were delivered today 2/6/14. I have had things I like and dislike about them all. If you buy a Chinese made tire try to stay with one made by the big companies and not a home-grown Chinese brand. Michelin, Bridgetone, etc... have their own plants in China and control of the product as well as in interest in maintaining their quality. Testing has shown the higher end Chinese-made tires to equal their rivals made elsewhere while the cheapest all-Chinese tire, like home brands in Eastern Europe for example, suck. 

so what are the american companys cause i thought bridgestone and firestone were american,

Redwolf