Where Do Ya Buy Your Tires Online?

redwolf624

Bridgestone owns Firestone and it is a Japanese company.  Bridgestone was a copy of Firestone, like many post-war japanese products, and now they own Firestone and have for 25+ years. http://www.bridgestonetire.com/about/who-we-are

Goodyear merged with Sumitomo Rubber Industries Ltd. of Japan in 1997 and have headquarters in both countries.  Sumitomo previously bought out Dunlop. So is Goodyear American? That is a tough call.

Cooper is the most American of all of the major brands and makes a dandy product.

Many private label tires are made by others and most are made in China. Cooper does make a few under the Mud Claw & Wild Country brands but I don't know where they are produced.

Bridgestone owns Firestone and it is a Japanese company.  Bridgestone was a copy of Firestone, like many post-war japanese products, and now they own Firestone and have for 25+ years. http://www.bridgestonetire.com/about/who-we-are

Goodyear merged with Sumitomo Rubber Industries Ltd. of Japan in 1997 and have headquarters in both countries.  Sumitomo previously bought out Dunlop. So is Goodyear American? That is a tough call.

Cooper is the most American of all of the major brands and makes a dandy product.

Many private label tires are made by others and most are made in China. Cooper does make a few under the Mud Claw & Wild Country brands but I don't know where they are produced.

ok that bein said, how bout BFG and General? are they american or over seas?

Redwolf

Depends on what you mean by American. There are a bunch of foreign companies that make tires in the US.

This site may be useful to you. I did a bit of fact checking, though. The deal with the Indian company for Cooper fell through, so Cooper is still a US company. Everything else seems to check out, though.

General Tire is owned by a German conglomerate (Continental Tire). The General Grabber AT/2's may or may not be made in the US, depending on size. My 235/75/15's were made in Mexico. Other sizes are made in the US, Mexico, the Czech Republic, or France. Some sizes are made in multiple countries. Clicky, "country of origin" under the specs is where they're made.

BFGoodrich is owned by Michelin, a French company. The Total Terrain T/A KO's are all made in the US with the exception of the smallest size (Some of those are made in Mexico.)

Since TireRack.com carries just about every tire imaginable, you should be able to look up where any tire you're looking at was made. Or, you know, read it on the sidewall if you're buying from a brick and mortar store.

In terms of tire quality, though, it doesn't really matter where the tire was made. No tire company wants the bad rap that a class-action lawsuit for terrible tires would bring them, so they have pretty strict quality control at every plant. Everyone still avoids Firestone tires, right? Even though the Exploder-specific tires were discontinued a pretty long time ago, and it wasn't even entirely Firestone's fault that the tires failed and the Explorers rolled. Ford specified they should be run at 26 psi as a band-aid because they didn't want to redesign the suspension, which their own tests revealed was flawed before they started selling the vehicles. Also, most of the problem tires were manufactured in Illinois. Bad reputations are bad reputations, and they do stick with you.

The only advantage to buying American tires is exactly that... buying American.

Depends on what you mean by American. There are a bunch of foreign companies that make tires in the US.

This site may be useful to you. I did a bit of fact checking, though. The deal with the Indian company for Cooper fell through, so Cooper is still a US company. Everything else seems to check out, though.

General Tire is owned by a German conglomerate (Continental Tire). The General Grabber AT/2's may or may not be made in the US, depending on size. My 235/75/15's were made in Mexico. Other sizes are made in the US, Mexico, the Czech Republic, or France. Some sizes are made in multiple countries. Clicky, "country of origin" under the specs is where they're made.

BFGoodrich is owned by Michelin, a French company. The Total Terrain T/A KO's are all made in the US with the exception of the smallest size (Some of those are made in Mexico.)

Since TireRack.com carries just about every tire imaginable, you should be able to look up where any tire you're looking at was made. Or, you know, read it on the sidewall if you're buying from a brick and mortar store.

In terms of tire quality, though, it doesn't really matter where the tire was made. No tire company wants the bad rap that a class-action lawsuit for terrible tires would bring them, so they have pretty strict quality control at every plant. Everyone still avoids Firestone tires, right? Even though the Exploder-specific tires were discontinued a pretty long time ago, and it wasn't even entirely Firestone's fault that the tires failed and the Explorers rolled. Ford specified they should be run at 26 psi as a band-aid because they didn't want to redesign the suspension, which their own tests revealed was flawed before they started selling the vehicles. Also, most of the problem tires were manufactured in Illinois. Bad reputations are bad reputations, and they do stick with you.

The only advantage to buying American tires is exactly that... buying American.

thanks for the link, i'll check into that more and i completely forgot tire rack told the location of where the tires were made, i'm ok with everywhere but china,

Redwolf

What's wrong with things made in China? Beyond the corrupt government, the fact that they own half the known world, and that wages are low unless they're really high, and there's always someone willing to do the job so employers don't need to worry about their employees?

The tire quality will still be there. It has to be, or we'll have another Firestone issue. In fact, there are quite a few regulations in place preventing bad tires on the roads. Might want to give this page a read.

What's wrong with things made in China? Beyond the corrupt government, the fact that they own half the known world, and that wages are low unless they're really high, and there's always someone willing to do the job so employers don't need to worry about their employees?

The tire quality will still be there. It has to be, or we'll have another Firestone issue. In fact, there are quite a few regulations in place preventing bad tires on the roads. Might want to give this page a read.

i just don't support china, i never have and never will, i'll go as far as payin way much more for somethin if i know i can get it made in good ol USA,

Redwolf

Made in the USA does not equal American or supporting America. A Honda assembled in Ohio is no more American than a GM car assembled in Germany is German a car. Toyota may assemble cars here but if asked will they say that they are an American company? Of course not. Who considers BMW an American brand because they assemble some cars here? No one. So why did people think that it applies to Honda? 

I have no simple link to show it but Japan has been exploiting our trade rules for decades. Some have called it "economic warfare." Their markets are extremely protected against the importation of our products and for us to apply the same rules they have regarding imports and foreign ownership would destroy their economy. We would do to Japanese agriculture what they have done to our auto industry but they limit our imports. Rice and beef are two commodities where we would all but wipe-out their home production if they allowed us equal access. They are very ruthless in trade and have been repeatedly censured for manipulating markets.

Sure cousin Jed may have a spiffy $12/hour job making widgets that are sold to Honda to put on cars here. But that is only because Uncle Jeb lost his $20/hour job making a similar widget for Ford. Citing the number of people employed by Toyota and Honda here is worthless without subtracting the number of jobs lost by other companies in the process. I assure you that the loss is greater than the gain.

Is a product America? I look first to where the company is from. GM is American. BFG is French. General is German. Honda is Japanese. 

Sorry for the "Is it American" off-shoot to a post about what is American. But to echo something I previously posted and Gogmorgo seconded: A quality company will require high quality standards for their products no matter where they are produced. Most International companies like Goodyear make tires in many countries. Buying a Michelin made in China is not like buying a Chinese home grown brand made there. Both may meet the minimum safety standards for importation here but the longevity and performance is probably worlds apart. Where Michelin has a reputation to defend the pure Chinese company will not care because there will always be people buying crap at cheap prices no matter what.

• 2 months later...

Onlinetires.com

Or

Treadwright.com

thanks, i'm lovin the tread wright site, just not lovin the out of stock,

Redwolf

x2  I'm looking at getting the gaurddogs in 34s or of whatever it is lol 315/75/16. I just wish they had them in true 35's with a 15" rim.

And on the Cooper ST Max... it's midway between an all terrain & highway tire. There is nothing MT about that at all lol

I buy my tires from Discount Tire direct usually, but I'll still check around for a closeout. Tire Rack sometimes has really good deals. For quite some time I'd been able to mount tires at work but next time I'll be going to my buddy's place and sliding him some cash since I work alone.

cooper a/t 3s are great tires i put them on my wifes liberty 60k and counting... if you wanna go to 18in wheels cooper zeon atz were the best tires i ever had on my dodge.

i think i paid 560ish installed for my wifes but i had them trued and balanced on the truck 

Another advantage I just discovered (and took advantage of yesterday) to buying tires online at Canadian Tire is that they patch tires you bought from them for free. Probably that's typical for many chains, but you never know.