Xj Parking Brake In A Mj?

I am sure this has been covered previously, but I could not find it.

First, my parking brake pedal is finally giving out. When I push down, the pedal lifts up a few teeth.  Once it popped up completely when I closed the door.

I DO NOT trust it to hold the truck.  I ALWAYS leave it in gear when I get out.

Has anyone made the conversion to the hand brake in the console?  Besides the handle, is there any other parts to get from a donor?

How is it fastened to the trans tunnel?  Are the holes/bolts prefab in already?

What cable length is needed?  The long bed and short bed are too long.  The XJ cable may be too short. 

When I took out the interior to check floor boards, clean carpet and tear into my dash to replace the evaporator and heater core, I put in a xj e-brake lever in my '88.  I just located it on the tunnel relative my center console and drilled some holes thru the tunnel, fastening it down with cap screws and nylock nuts.  I measured the length of cable I would need and found the one I needed at local parts store.  Don't recall where I got it but it doesn't have to be exact length.  Had it been useable, I could have used the existing foot pedal cable, it was long enough to snake back to the tunnel area to mate with the e-brake lever I was using.  You do need to watch for extreme lever positions, meaning the e-brake pulled up all the way and the manual shifter in reverse.  Mine touch in those positions, so I have some tweaking to do to fix that because it irks me every time I pull up on the e-brake and my shifter is in reverse.  Just take your time and think it through.

if you can't find an XJ donor easily about any will do. Just find a stand-alone handbrake with a mini console or boot so that the mechanism doesn't show & grab the cable from the handbrake. Measure and get cables that will run from your brakes to the front cable.  Last one I put into a CJ was from a Rabbit IIRC

All you need is the lever mechanism  - Been covered here on CC a few - http://comancheclub.com/topic/32740-alexias-1987-to-1997-comanche/  comes to mind - also on NAXJA & Pirate - Anyway I used Alexias build IIRC - Is simple - Don't need new cable - existing cable just makes a big loop under seat & done - Worst part for me was removing foot assembly - After that just a matter of cutting the cable anchor/attachment thingy offa the FB bracket -  attach to lever - grind/cut btm of L assembly flat- ck position/alignment of lever & console & bolt/fasten everything - I used a 97+ console & lever - took approx 2 hr - I'ma no so fast or care to be anymore

:wrench:

All you need is the lever mechanism  - Been covered here on CC a few - http://comancheclub.com/topic/32740-alexias-1987-to-1997-comanche/  comes to mind - also on NAXJA & Pirate - Anyway I used Alexias build IIRC - Is simple - Don't need new cable - existing cable just makes a big loop under seat & done - Worst part for me was removing foot assembly - After that just a matter of cutting the cable anchor/attachment thingy offa the FB bracket -  attach to lever - grind/cut btm of L assembly flat- ck position/alignment of lever & console & bolt/fasten everything - I used a 97+ console & lever - took approx 2 hr - I'ma no so fast or care to be anymore

Do you remember where it was? I can't find it.  :hmm:

Do you remember where it was? I can't find it.  :hmm:

http://comancheclub.com/topic/32740-alexias-1987-to-1997-comanche/page-4?do=findComment&comment=352849

I got the idea from someone else on here.

Thanks. I understand the cabling, no problem there, but the floor mounting of the hand brake lever assembly is what I have questions over. I have a full length console so I'll need the older 96 and below hand brake @$$'y.  I also have two plates on the floor, pic below looking up. There are not pre-drilled holes for the hand brake, so what do I do? I can cut in some nutserts for the hand brake studs, but what about the floor plate(s)? I'm 2WD; no t-case. Will they help or just get in the way. Wish I still had one of my old XJs here so I wouldn't need to ask these dumb questions........

OP Tim, sorry for stealing your thread, but figured it would help both of us. Found this writeup - it will answer your questions. It did for me.    http://comancheclub.com/topic/38053-early-xj-hand-brake-in-mj/

Thanks for posting that Ed.  :cheers:

No problem.

After the long thread re: 86 park brake recall, I started experiencing the issues.  I figured I wasn't the first.  I was curious if someone had made the switch to a hand brake.

Sadly, I too think I'm going to take this route.  The dealerships likely have no parts and to be honest, I've got some other crap going on in my personal life that I just don't have time to bicker back and forth with Chrysler, and their stealerships to make them do right by the safety recall that is still in affect on my '86.  And I was really looking forward to making that section of my center console into cup holders... :fs1:

Sadly, I too think I'm going to take this route. The dealerships likely have no parts and to be honest, I've got some other crap going on in my personal life that I just don't have time to bicker back and forth with Chrysler and their stealerships to make them do right by the safety recall that is still in affect on my '86. And I was really look forward to making that section of my center console into cup holders... :fs1:

97+ console upgrade :D