On Board Air Systems....?

Hey guys, Ive been looking into adding OBA to my Blue truck in the near future and just wanted to see if anyone has any tips, references or opinions on any kits to steer clear of or recommend. I'm leaning towards the Viair Medium Duty kit. My truck currently has no A/C (from factory) but am not sure what all id need to aquire a compressor and go that route. Just purchasing a kit seems to be more logical and cost effective for my scenario. I only intend to use it 1 couple times a year and have for emergencies as well.

All opinions and tips are welcome! 

I've got a Co2 tank and love it. :D  maybe have 100 bucks into it with a 10? pounder steel tank and fixed 100psi regulator.   I have GOBS of continuous flow and it can separate from the truck to provide air anywhere I want.  the size tank I have has more than enough to last a weekend of wheeling and refills are $13.  I recently splurged on a cheap harbor freight pressure regulator with quick-connects so I can tone down the pressure for use with my brad nailer.

absolutely.  it's stored as a liquid and so there's WAY more volume of gas in there than a compressed air tank can hold. :thumbsup:

Ayup - almost 400 times more once you expand the liquid into a gas. Density of liquid CO2 is 770 kg/m3 , but gaseous CO2 is only 1.977 kg/m3  (at STP [standard temperature and pressure]).

Hey guys, Ive been looking into adding OBA to my Blue truck in the near future and just wanted to see if anyone has any tips, references or opinions on any kits to steer clear of or recommend. I'm leaning towards the Viair Medium Duty kit. My truck currently has no A/C (from factory) but am not sure what all id need to aquire a compressor and go that route. Just purchasing a kit seems to be more logical and cost effective for my scenario. I only intend to use it 1 couple times a year and have for emergencies as well.

All opinions and tips are welcome! 

Well compressor choice aside....if you are not married to the idea of the tank being portable ......google bumper air tank. 

It is the route I took years back with my YJ and have been using it and been happy with it all along. 

I had fabed my own front and back bumpers from some 6x3 rectangular 3/16" wall tubing.....tapering the ends and making them look styling & profiling just like the smitty built and other brands you see for sale.

After the fact I just simply drilled a hole in the bottom for a drain bung and another on the top back side (trying to keep it safe and out of the way) Were i mounted a tee with an air coupler.......coil up a chunk of hose and store it out of the way and done deal.

For refilling I can do many things without an actual motor driven compressor.....Fill the tanks (bumpers) at home before I leave......stop at any service station with air and fill up.....or now just recently i picked up one of those little 12v compressors with a digital control so I can pump up at my convenience anywhere.

Just another view.....I am happy with it ( and so are the long line of people I have aired up over the years.   . :MJ 1: .

I dunno why, but the DC 12 volt compressors are EXPENSIVE.

For that reason I am thinking of just using a small AC 110 volt that can be had cheaply at Harbor Freight. Though my general rule is "don't buy anything with moving parts if it is made in China", their quality seems to be improving, and duty on my truck will be light, so it may be OK. (I do have a use for an on-board inverter already, so that part of it will not be a cost directly applied to having on-board air.)

....if you are not married to the idea of the tank being portable ......google bumper air tank. 

BJ, not sure if you're thinking about this idea or not, but the way that yours is welded together won't allow you to hold air in it. It isn't totally sealed up in an attempt to let it breathe. Just like our trucks that rust from the inside out, I've repaired too many structures that destroy themselves from within. Even condensation builds up over time. Your bumper was coated with as much weld through primer as I could spray in there before all the pieces were welded together. (I bet you didn't know that... surprise!!!) Were it would leak is at the tow points were the 1/4" mount and the 3/8" reinforcement are welded together as the inside of the hole is still open. Bliet clamped very, very tight together but still open.

383261_169146026517602_1883197631_n.jpg

Besides that, I was asked a couple years ago about the capacity of this bumper... it really isn't all that much. Sorry to burst any potential bubbles, but your petite little bumper is best used as just a bumper.  :thumbsup:

I also use a CO2 tank, I bought a 20lb setup from Ultimate Air before they went under. I have also converted my AC compressor to an on board air setup too. I have a couple air chucks mounted and a small tank underneath, both setups work good, but the CO2 is portable and the Jeep doesn't have to be running to use it.

The problem of using any ol' tank is the pressure that it can hold. A portable air tank, or a propane tank for that matter, really aren't designed for about 200 pounds, max. A CO2 tank will hold 2200+. That's the beauty of them! They last and last but one has to use a proper regulator otherwise you'll destroy anything you plug into them.

I've run all three types.

The electric compressor (I had a Viair) is small and fairly simple to install.  Even with a tank, it was pretty weak .... couldn't really run air tools and took a long time to fll 35s.  They do make bigger and better compressors, but they get expensive.

I also had a Co2 tank .... portable, lots of pressure, lots of volume .... but heavy, bulky, and it gets annoying having to fill it every few months.

Belt driven York compressor mounted where the AC compressor would go.  AWESOME AWESOME AWESOME.  Plenty of endless air with enough volume and pressure to do everything I needed.  But, it was a pretty complicated install so I paid a shop to do it.  

Do you have to use a CO2 tank? Or can you have a propane tank filled?

I don't have any CO2 tanks. I do have a couple dozen propane tanks. :hmm:

every gas has its own rules and regulations so, no, the shop won't fill an unapproved or inspected tank.

Anybody got an empty 20lb tank to sell?

Got the hose and reg set up, just need a tank.

don't forget that tanks need to be inspected every few years.  I bought mine used from the welding supply shop.

Like this?

4v4gt-4231827452@sale.craigslist.org [?]flag [?] : miscategorized prohibited spam best of

Posted:

3 days ago co2 tank and regulator - $80 (24th and Grand Avenue)
00505_apKQrzgy7Yl_600x450.jpg
© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap
grand at 24th
Co2 tank in like new condition. Along with the co2 regulator.
Asking $80 or best offer.

grand at 24th (google map) (yahoo map)

• do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers

Posting ID: 4231827452

Posted:

3 days ago

Updated:

a day ago

email to a friend

Avoid scams, deal locally! Do NOT wire funds (e.g. Western Union).
Beware cashier checks, money orders, and shipping. More info

Like this?

:thumbsup: Looks just like mine! Jim, you seem like a crafty kind of dude... to say the least  :D ... Check around at local beverage distributors. I picked up a couple of these tanks a number of years ago that came out of carbonated beverage dispensers. Still had to get them checked before my local welder's supply would fill them, but the tanks were free anyhow.

Like this?

CL pueblo all for sale / wanted farm & garden - by owner4v4gt-4231827452@sale.craigslist.org [?]flag [?] : miscategorized prohibited spam best of

Posted: 3 days ago co2 tank and regulator - $80 (24th and Grand Avenue)

© craigslist - Map data © OpenStreetMap

grand at 24th Co2 tank in like new condition. Along with the co2 regulator.

Asking $80 or best offer.

grand at 24th (google map) (yahoo map)

• do NOT contact me with unsolicited services or offers

Posting ID: 4231827452

Posted: 3 days ago

Updated: a day ago

email to a friend

Avoid scams, deal locally! Do NOT wire funds (e.g. Western Union).

Beware cashier checks, money orders, and shipping. More info

That's more or less what mine is. I get mine filled at a welding shop. I usually just do an exchange bottle, that way I don't have to work about tank certs. I am able to fill all 4 of my 35x12.5's from 5-35psi about 5 or 6 times per tank.