Branching Out From Eliminators..... My Metric Ton Dually Build.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Getting the last of the odd pieces ordered today........ the front axle 5 on 4.5 to 8 on 6.5 dually wheel adaptors!

For some reason, the company Drachir used isn't answering their phones....... so I had to go surfing..... and ended up with what I believe will be an equal if not better product.

Motorsport Tech    www.motorsport-tech.com

Sparks Nevada

$350 shipped for the pair! 

They said 2 weeks.  I'll hopefully post up a pic with them test-fitted ....... if we're not buried in snow by then....... :D

• 4 weeks later...

Well the front wheel adaptors arrived. Beefy..... Like TOO beefy. They weigh 13.5 lbs each. I'm a little disappointed in the lack of machine work done..... Meaning they seem like they should be whittled down to save on rotating mass. Dunno.... I may hit up a local shop and look into having that done. Although I guess its safe to say these should never break huh? Lol!

• 1 month later...

More parts success......

Picked up a decent set of wheels today.  16x6.5 and lug-centric so no worries with them fitting the front adapters and rear axle.

The tires are junk, so I'll have them dismounted then have the wheels polished.  Hoping i can still get center caps.....

Thanks! Yeah I'm not into the chromed/polished "XD" or funky 19" + sized wheels even on the full sized trucks. I think a 16" wheel will look proportional on the MJ.

I considered stock steel wheels painted black or a light gray with chrome trim rings but damn those steel wheels are heavy. These aluminum wheels are easily half the weight.

As far as this goes, it only seems to be the ones t hat attempted to use an XJ rad to cool down the V8. Novak makes one that works. There are meow a few people over at naxja that are trying different setups as well. A cowl hood and or hood vents will help. 

LS swap sounds nice until you realize that the vast majority of people who put a V8 in either a Cherokee or Comanche end up battling cooling issues. The nose of our vehicles is not designed to flow enough air to cool a V8.

Figured I'd better mock these dually wheels up using the 235/85/16's on them and see how they fit/look....... I like!

They're almost a 32" tire and all appears to be a good size when paired with the 3.5" suspension lift up front.  :thumbsup:

Unfortunately....... I'm gonna have to send the spacers back for modification.  The holes for the mounting lugs aren't large enough to get any sort of socket inside to tighten the lug nuts....... :banghead:

Figured I'd better mock these dually wheels up using the 235/85/16's on them and see how they fit/look....... I like!

They're almost a 32" tire and all appears to be a good size when paired with the 3.5" suspension lift up front.   :thumbsup:

Unfortunately....... I'm gonna have to send the spacers back for modification.  The holes for the mounting lugs aren't large enough to get any sort of socket inside to tighten the lug nuts....... :banghead:

Oh boy, send them back and get them made locally.  A good machine shop can knock that out, and make them lighter. 

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...

The sickness continues....... Just acquired another pair of uber-rare dually fenders..... 'cause I needed 'em.  No really.....

Adam, (Strokermjcomanche) was kind enough to go grab them off a truck found in a UPAP in Cleveland.

Rather than pay the retarded fees associated with this new form of UPS and FedEx robbery called "Dimensional weight", I tossed an ad up in the Youngstown Ohio Craigslist Ride-Share listings.  A youngster moving from there to Denver was kind enough to give them a ride for a respectable fee for his troubles and fuel.  Thanks Adam for wrapping them up so nicely! Worked out very well! :thumbsup:

The other set I have:

Interesting thing is...... they look the same, but the dark blue ones are heavier, seem to have more layers of fiberglass and they have a lip in the wheel opening where the red ones do not.  The dark blue ones feel much sturdier.  Unfortunately, the dark blue ones have some fairly significant cracking to the gel coat.   Not sure which of the pairs will be the ones used on my truck - depends on the advice I get from someone with fiberglass experience.  The red ones have cracks/tears in the fiberglass and bits broken off that need repaired/built back up at the edges.  I like the wheel opening lip of the dark blue ones.  Seems to add rigidity.

Wheel well openings:

Cracks:

Dully Comanches are, well, kind of dull.

Dually MJs however are very cool. I'd love to have one also.  :cheers:

Hey, your right! they would have been dull. So that may be why they can't be seen as often. But I like Dually Comanches too!  :)

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Nothing real exciting to report other than I received the fenders a couple days ago.  No real surprises - a couple chipped edges, a crack and some gel coat damage where the fork lift moving the truck around the yard musta banged up against the fenders.  Massive thanks to Lurch for doing an excellent job of wrapping/boxing these...... coulda sustained further damage otherwise.

I'll get with a body guy buddy of mine when I get the project truck and have them fitted, then get the edges and damage fixed. :thumbsup:

The gas filler door is an MJ OEM piece, but you can see how the fender makes a bit of a bend... the door has about a 1/4" of bondo piled on top of it to build the contour to match.  I'll have to see what a body guy might suggest to make a custom door for it to keep from having to duplicate that bondo'd one.....

I'll also have to figure out a way to stiffen up the wheel opening edges and come up with an inner fender liner of sorts.  Looks like there used to be some sort of fender liner..... wood wedges were glued along the inside edge where something was screwed to the wood.  The wood has since rotted and gone, but you can see where the pieces had been epoxied.

I want a set!!

• 2 years later...
On 7/22/2014 at 11:16 PM, yellaheep said:

The sickness continues....... Just acquired another pair of uber-rare dually fenders..... 'cause I needed 'em.  No really.....

Adam, (Strokermjcomanche) was kind enough to go grab them off a truck found in a UPAP in Cleveland.

Rather than pay the retarded fees associated with this new form of UPS and FedEx robbery called "Dimensional weight", I tossed an ad up in the Youngstown Ohio Craigslist Ride-Share listings.  A youngster moving from there to Denver was kind enough to give them a ride for a respectable fee for his troubles and fuel.  Thanks Adam for wrapping them up so nicely! Worked out very well! :thumbsup:

dc1e8fc3dcc3b7e5141ee8f9ee7f1d99.jpg
9d7382c0d6935a3c3e304ac17523caf8.jpg

The other set I have:

8fce623757803be9b3d604e840614d3f.jpg

Interesting thing is...... they look the same, but the dark blue ones are heavier, seem to have more layers of fiberglass and they have a lip in the wheel opening where the red ones do not.  The dark blue ones feel much sturdier.  Unfortunately, the dark blue ones have some fairly significant cracking to the gel coat.   Not sure which of the pairs will be the ones used on my truck - depends on the advice I get from someone with fiberglass experience.  The red ones have cracks/tears in the fiberglass and bits broken off that need repaired/built back up at the edges.  I like the wheel opening lip of the dark blue ones.  Seems to add rigidity.

Wheel well openings:

d3b765a625f2fc4de3c8ededd61729a7.jpg

Cracks:

b10f8ea9350429392115a1686bf16251.jpg

Want to sell a set?