Dodge Slant-6 Engine.

Has anyone ever put a Dodge Slant-6 engine into an MJ or XJ?  Just curious because the Slant-6 is even more bulletproof than our beloved Inline-6.  Also, would it be possible to make it Multiport fuel injected and use the Renix or HO system to run it?

Low RPM low compression, thick cylinder walls, just like the 4.9L Ford inline 6.

Eh, I cringe at the sound of Dodge. I've owned/driven Neons, caravans, conversion vans and even the new Chargers, they break when you look at em wrong. I'm intrigued by what you say, however. What makes the /6 so reliable?

Low RPM low compression, thick cylinder walls, just like the 4.9L Ford inline 6.

Eh, I cringe at the sound of Dodge. I've owned/driven Neons, caravans, conversion vans and even the new Chargers, they break when you look at em wrong. I'm intrigued by what you say, however. What makes the /6 so reliable?

And a long stroke and low revs.

They're one of the few good engines Dodge ever built.  My dad has one in an old Dodge A100 van (the van that inspired the Scooby Doo Mystery Machine).  Anyway, my dad, on several occasions ran the engine with little to no coolant for a 15 mile trip from work (radiator hose blew off a couple different times) will no ill effect.  Also, he let it sit for about 10 years and decided one day to start it.  Got some fresh gas and turned it over, and it ran like it did the day he left it.  That's pretty remarkable for an engine that's 48 years old.

I've contemplated it, I had a free Ford 4.9, but it just physically wouldnt fit, and I wasnt up to the fab work required with nothing to really gain, aside from the kool factor. But I imagine it just wouldnt fit.

Funny thing... I was just thinking about the slant six in my buddies '83 D150 today... I know an internet search would show me this, but the one thing I never knew was the liter/CI of it... Since the topic is here, anyone know off hand?

Rob

The 225 slant six was probably one of the best engines built. When I was in high school, my parents bought a old plymouth four door for my sister.

Then it was passed on to my little brother. It had over 300,000 on it when they bought it. It was normal maintance, every 150,000, rebuild the head

at 300,000 new rings and bearings. My brother ran the piss out of it, drag racing it. He tryed to blow it up, 1st time it ran out of gas, so he filled it up

and tried it again. Took three days before it ran the tank out again. Mom and Dad came home the next time he tried it. Made him sell it, he had to walk

for awhile. The things just run and keep on running even with no water or oil. Smoked alittle after that, so I would like to hear if it is possible two.

Funny thing... I was just thinking about the slant six in my buddies '83 D150 today... I know an internet search would show me this, but the one thing I never knew was the liter/CI of it... Since the topic is here, anyone know off hand?

Rob

It came in three different sizes, with the 225 cid being the most notable since it was the best one.  I'd love to do a swap like this, convert it to MPFI and use the Renix ECM to run the whole set up.  Only problem that I have seen in my little research finding a suitable transmission to run behind it... AX15 is out of the question without heavy modification/custom adapters and anything 4x4 would be a ton of work.  But, with a 2bbl carb, I've heard people were getting 30 mpg back 40 years ago on some of these.  I imagine with some level of EFI, you could get at least the upper 20's for mpg for sure.

Thanks for the info. I can't attest to what kind of mileage my buddies' truck, but he did have the "Miser package" which included the slant six, 2wd, and a special overdrive stickshift. All I can remember was that instead of the final gear, it had od in a green circle. It was his high school truck, and he did work on it himself. It never ran quite right, so I couldn't tell you what it was capable of.

Rob

But, going back to my original question, nobody has heard of this kind of swap in a Jeep?

Interesting - - - Lot's of Googled slant swap info - Most of it BS/Daydream type - - - Had a Valiant comuter/war car once - Slant & push button auto that could be rolled/push started - othern having a weak battery fora while; no probs - solid no rust r damage - just ugly - wife refused to drive/ride in it - - only reason it was sold after a few yrs - - bought it from a friend after he found a low miles 4x4 plymouth pickup with a slant6 for his DD - He drove that thing for maybe 20 years wi no trouble - - - - - Anyway while looking at Jeep slant swap stuff I came across the willys jeep OHV inline 6 swap - - - It's been done - parts are out there - performance parts are out there - military blocks with the side motor mounts are out there - - Don't need another project right now, but.....

:idea:

Why go to the hassel of doing the MPI?  Check this link for the exhaust, intake etc for a Chrysler/Dodge slant 6.   http://www.cliffordperformance.net/index.html   Probably they only motor more bullet proof than the slant 6 or Ford 300 is the old Chrysler flathead six used in fork lifts and industrial useage.  It is still being made today(the flathead I mean) and used in fork lifts etc.

I'm a huge Slant 6 fan and would love to build a "Slantmanche" or "Slantokee".  Some of the Cherokees and Comanches ran the Chrysler 904 in them. I've been thinking about finding one with the 904 and seeing what it would take to rebuild the tranny with the front mating up to the "Leaning Tower of Power" and the back being standard Cherokee/Comanche...

Check out www.slantsix.org for all of your Slant 6 info... And then some! :-)

i got a rusty dodge dart with a 904 and a slant six with 65k on it sitting in my front yard i get 24mpg with that sucker and besides the oil leak that i need to fix the thing is great (engine not the car. car is pos lol)  these engines can't go wrong i know someone with a old d100 with a /6 that has over 300,000 on it runs great. and on the multi port check this out.http://www.slantsix.org/articles/dibiase_efi/efi-conversion.htm he uses all junk yard parts basically. its a gm setup but I'm sure you could do something similar with the renix like u say. since i got my jeep ive always wondered about swapping a /6 in that sucker. just way to long(for my 86 that is)

Has anyone ever put a Dodge Slant-6 engine into an MJ or XJ?  Just curious because the Slant-6 is even more bulletproof than our beloved Inline-6.  Also, would it be possible to make it Multiport fuel injected and use the Renix or HO system to run it?

I beg to differ with you. There is NO American production in-line six cylinder that's more bulletproof than the AMC six that eventually morphed into the 4.0L Jeep engine. Never has been one more bulletproof, and in all probability never will be simply because today everything is "optimized," to the point that there's virtually no reserve strength to provide that "bulletproof-ness" we used to take for granted when I was young and thought I was immortal.

Back "in the day" (and I lived in the day when the slant six had its reputation), when everyone else was running Offenhauser engines at Indy, there was one racer who came year after year with a modified I-6 street engine. His name was Barney Navarro, and the engine was NOT a Dodge slant six. It was the AMC (the 232 version, I believe).

When I was in the Army I spent a year stationed at Edgewood Arsenal in Maryland. At the time I was driving a Rambler American with the smallest available version of the engine -- 199 cubic inches. One of my good buddies had a Dodge Dart with the famous slant six, and he made the mistake of challenging me to a drag race. So, late one night, we snuck off to a back road in a remote corner of the post where we hoped the MPs didn't patrol regularly, put out a couple of friends as starter and finish line judge, and we duked it out.

Turns out we didn't need the finish line judge, because the race wasn't even close. I stomped him. And this wasn't even with the "hot" version of the AMC engine. My little 199 only had a single-barrel carburetor. The more famous 232 had a 2-barrel, and was a LOT faster.

I can't imagine putting a slant six in an XJ or MJ. Sacrilege. (Not to mention a horrible waste of time, energy and money.)

(because the Slant-6 is even more bulletproof than our beloved Inline-6.)

really?  ha ha  well everyone has an opinion....   the slant 6 was ok engine ( low profile)but it was nothing special. and very low HP, please come to your senses and don't try to graft that ancient engine into anything. :doh:

I have though about this many times and I would consider it if I didnt have other projects on the side and if I didnt live in smog pesky California,I'm a huge Mopar fan and have a lot of respect for the /6 but like others have mentioned  time,money,energy  spent is a bit discouraging besides the 4.0 is a GREAT engine and can have an o/d aut tranny readily adapted  as well as other manual trannys I just don't see "it" on this one.