Original/aftermarket Mud Flaps

I am looking for some mud flaps for my 89 Comanche. From what I read, my only bet is the junk yard or ebay if I want mud flaps? I don't know anything about mud flaps for the Comanche, so is there anything specific I need to watch for? Is there any place out there that sells aftermarket flaps for the MJ or XJ that can be adapted for a Comanche?

Thanks for the help!

I've been looking for originals for years and have only come across maybe two sets, both times I was beaten to the punch at buying them by someone who jumped as soon as they were posted. I've never found any aftermarket ones meant for the MJ, but can't say I've looked too hard since I'm picky about what goes on my rig.

I was always thinking about just taking some material I have meant for industrial conveyor belts and cutting some out of that and just making some kind of bracket. I could live with plain black ones like that.

I've always liked the old-school state mudflaps, and just found an organization that started reproducing the Keep Oregon Green flaps. Picked up a set and used the fender flare to mount them to with some self-tapping screws, but had to get creative deeper in the wheel well on getting them mounted. Pic when it's light out.

I have an original set I might be willing to sell... They were going to find there home on my 87 but if they're that desirable ill sell them

How about posting some good photos so other folks can see what they look like and try to figure out how to replicate them?

• 3 weeks later...

I just got my hands on these...

NOS front and rears along with all mounting hardware in original and stainless plus instructions. If you want templates I could make some before I modify them by adding the AMC logo above the word Jeep like they were in '86 and sticking them on my truck.

I will say they are basically a thick plastic rather than reinforced rubber like semi mudflaps or even a lot of aftermarket ones in this style. The back side (or the side that faces the tire) has grooved channels that go about halfway through the mudflap.

I just got my hands on these...

NOS front and rears along with all mounting hardware in original and stainless plus instructions. If you want templates I could make some before I modify them by adding the AMC logo above the word Jeep like they were in '86 and sticking them on my truck.

I will say they are basically a thick plastic rather than reinforced rubber like semi mudflaps or even a lot of aftermarket ones in this style. The back side (or the side that faces the tire) has grooved channels that go about halfway through the mudflap.

I'd love to have exact dimensions (or the best you can do) with lots of photos at different angles. Details about the front/rear flaps, plus hardware would be most appreciated. Even if you traced the outline on paper and mailed it to me, that would be an option. Thanks for your time!

Yes, this is some good info that shouldn't be lost.  You should get the tracings to someone with CAD so they can draw them up to scale for archiving all the pieces along with the instructions.

Here's those mudflaps, don't drool too much! These actually came off cherokee_chiefs truck when my other friend owned it. The owner before him must've cut them to fit because I don't think they came that way?

Pretty sure these flaps are the way they are supposed to be. They look like true Comanche flaps have to go out to the garage and compare to mine. GirsMJ are yours listed for the Comanche or Cherokee?