Original/aftermarket Mud Flaps

I just did a test fit, my rears are most definitely meant for an XJ. They will not work at all without me hacking them up pretty good and then I'd still have to figure out how to mount the things. If I had a template of the factory MJ rears I'm sure I could create a DIY write up for turning XJ rears into MJ rears since I'm sure they are easier to come by. If any of you with true MJ rears would be willing to send me a template shoot me a PM and we can figure this stuff out for others.

I was sure those were for a XJ dam ebay sellers misrepresenting stuff. Mine shown above are true my rears I was thinking of having a a few sets of brackets made at a local shop I was also just looking at a small metal brake for bending angles maybe I should just buy it. Its a old USA made 3 foot for under 100.00 bucks. Either way we could fiqure something out. Mine are off right now due to getting the truck painted. You might want to email the guy above with the rears then all you would need is the brackets.

Nah not interested in buying factory MJ ones, I'm sure I can just hack up the XJ ones against my better judgment if I just had a cardboard template. Don't care about the brackets either since I can figure out how to mount them on my own. I just meant if I got a cardboard template I could do a write up with pics and a pdf download and stuff so others can modify XJ ones.

I'm likely headed to the York, PA all breeds Jeep show this weekend. Maybe I will find some for sale, if not, I'm headed to the junk yards to find some. All I need is a full set of factory flaps with hardware, and I will be able to recreate them and post up dimensions for others. Making my own shouldn't be overly difficult, its just that I haven't a clue about how they should mount.

If you get a template together, keep me posted.

Nah not interested in buying factory MJ ones, I'm sure I can just hack up the XJ ones against my better judgment if I just had a cardboard template. Don't care about the brackets either since I can figure out how to mount them on my own. I just meant if I got a cardboard template I could do a write up with pics and a pdf download and stuff so others can modify XJ ones.

• 3 weeks later...

I've not had any time to mess around with mine. If someone has a set of factory ones and could send me a graphite rubbing of them or at least a tracing of the shape, send me a PM for my address and I'll get to work on things.

Wilbur had mudflaps when I first got it. And yes, not knowing the rarity, they ended up going in the trash.

Actually, I just saw one of them in the basement yesterday. Got me starting the think the other one might be down there as well. All it had was front ones, never had any on the back.

If I can find both they might go on the Purple People Eater to keep road salt off my rockers this winter.

Here's those mudflaps, don't drool too much! These actually came off cherokee_chiefs truck when my other friend owned it. The owner before him must've cut them to fit because I don't think they came that way?

Pretty sure these flaps are the way they are supposed to be. They look like true Comanche flaps have to go out to the garage and compare to mine. GirsMJ are yours listed for the Comanche or Cherokee?

Don't think so. My '88 XJ came with mud flaps from the factory, and both front and rear had metal attaching brackets as shown in the photos provided by GirsMJ86 and Sinkrun. Also, they were taller than the ones you have. Yours appear to have been cut down in height and attached directly, with no hardware.

Those are actual MJ rear flaps, Eagle. I did a test fit of the XJ flaps that I got and they plain and simply will not work on the rear of an MJ without modification. They could be trimmed down to the shape of the MJ ones, but that is not something I am willing to do without a template of MJ ones to overlay on them first. Plus I would not have the bracket so I'm still not sure they could be rigged up to work without that. If you compare those ones you quoted above to the ones sinkrun showed off above, you'll notice they are the same but are missing the metal bracket. Then when compared to the XJ ones I have, they are totally different (flaps and brackets).

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...