Moab Pow Wow 2013: Sept. 13-15!!

johnny quest

25 members have voted

1. 1. when could you make a trip to Moab happen?

• May 2013
    • June 2013
    • July 2013
    • August 2013
    • September 2013
    • not this year :(

Pack your bags; we're goin to Moab! . :MJ 1: .

Sometime this summer, we're gonna be getting as many Comanches together as possible one of the most amazing four wheeling destinations in the country: Moab, Utah. The legendary slick rock is home to some of the most famous and scenic trails around, and since the trip isn't for at least another few months, everyone has ample heads up to take time off from work, flip the couch cushions for change, and start planning your route!

edit: Sept 13-15th, 2013

There is NOT a set date: the attached poll is to get a better idea of what month works for the majority of people. Keep in mind that it will be rather warm down there; summer temps in the 80's and 90's are expected, and there is little to no shade on the trails. There are a few swimmin' holes around town that we can hit up when it gets unbearable, and if you want to take time to explore the area on two feet or 2 wheels, Moab is perfect.

My general thoughts on this trip are very loose and laid back. I envision camping as opposed to hotels, camp fires instead of bar crawls, and BBQ potlucks in place of eating out every meal. I've heard of some people doing a full week on the trails, and depending on where your coming from, that might be your best option, as this could be a once-in-a-lifetime kinda trip. For others that may be a bit closer, a long weekend might be a better fit. If you're interested, chime in; the more the merrier! :rock on:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As of right now I'm voting for September so the heat isn't as bad and people won't have as many problems keeping their trucks cool out on the trail all day :thumbsup: I'll be driving from NY so if anybody wants to tag along somewhere on the road I'm fine with that! I'll also be camping for a majority of the trip. Hopefully a few of you guys can make it!

campground info:

http://www.canyonlandsrv.com/

we've stayed here in the past and they are very 4x4 friendly (unlike some places in town). the tent spots we usually try to get are in the top right section of the map, on the other side of the creek (yes, there's a mandatory water crossing to get to the campsites).

map: http://www.canyonlan...nds Sitemap.gif

tent sites are like $30 a night and i believe you can have 2 vehicles per site. showers, running water, and all that jazz are close, and main street is walking distance.

Why not have it coincide with NAXJAs 30th anniversary of the XJ. If you did, you'd get a better turnout.

that is another option. However, I've found that the 'bigger' events can be overwhelming; trails get very congested, and end up taking much longer than if its just a smaller group. Also, on a personal level, I go wheeling to get away from the traffic jams and tons of other people. That being said, I'll probably be there for the NAXJA event and possibly for EJS as well.

September? Some of us are in school... Not that I think I'll be able to make it out anyhow, as much as I'd like to go. Already got a trip down to Nebraska planned for June, and the two probably couldn't be combined (logistic challenges, apart from the geographical). Moab is definitely a bucket list thing for me though. I'll keep watching this space.

I'll just be watching this for now. I really doubt I'll be able to embark on an epic journey this year... which is a real drag if this thing happens! Depending on what works for everyone else, my school schedule only puts me off work for about four weeks. Late July into early August would be my dates.

my local club is planning this same trip. most want to go in june, i say september. its about a grand in fuel alone for me to get there and back and maybe a few tanks in MJ for the whole trip. camping plus grilling out is what id be doing to try to save some cash.

id also say stay away from other planned events. way too many people to actually get in some decent trail time. i want to say I'm in but in all honesty, ill know probably a month in advance if i can make it.

I could do Aug, Sept. prefer sept.

I would not go during the Xj event. These trails are way to awesome to spend your time sitting in line waiting for obstacles. If you wanna go show off your jeep go there for an event. Wanna wheel it? go offseason and event free times. You will probably not get to hit all the trails you want in a weeks time even if you have 0 breakage and make 2 trails a day.

We went for 3 weeks and only ran 1 trail twice, and that was because its a great trail. (we wheeled 18 days out of 21)

I also agree with sept cause i hate wheeling when its hot. I have AC and i live in vegas, no biggy. But i like all windows open and leaning out and checkin stuff out etc. Plus camping isnt camping without a campfire and bbqing. neither of which anyone wants when its 90 out at 10 at night....lol.

But my rig WILL be ready for this THIS year. My goal is to have it at stage 1 by my birthday may 11. :)

Ill still have a toothpick D30 but ill make it for a while till i can get my d44 done.

sounds like people are leaning towards the end of the summer/early fall, which is a great time for Moab, PLUS, since its so far away, itll give people more time to save up gas money, PTO, and work out all those little issues that our rigs so often have. If you don't fix it before Moab, the slickrock will make you regret it.

By then my truck will have basically everything new that could fail and be fixed on the trail/side of the highway :wrench: so far I know I definitely wanna do elephant trail and metal masher! I've been watching videos for days and greatly feel the need to finish my truck!!!! I even went out and bought a spool for my 60 today and bought BD motormounts from a member on here the other day ahah MOAB here we come wooooooo

Also just realized I'm gunna have to change my oil before I leave and at some point during my trip :D

when i did my MA -> UT drive, I did 2 oil changes in 4 days lol.

as for the 'trail list', thats gonna depend on the ability of the Jeeps that show up. As i make more trips down there, i'll get to know the trails better and figure out what looks good. I'd like to do at least one trail that everybody at the Powwow can do together; possibly top of the world?

edit: here is Red Rock 4 Wheelers trail descriptions for the upcoming UJC, so not all trails are listed. but read up and see if anything sounds good http://www.rr4w.com/trails.cfm

I would love to get out there to meet up, but I would just still to flat trails since I would not want to hurt something I just spent a year working on. :(

totally understandable. and believe it or not, it pretty hard to do damage on alot of the trails out there. most trails consist of 90% dirt road, 10% rock section with bypass, OR are completely slickrock which dispite the name, is like driving on sandpaper; the traction is unbelievable. some trails like prichett canyon are pretty much guarenteed damage, but many are very low risk.

i know its a ways off but it'd probably be a good idea (for those coming or considering coming) to post up your rigs specs so (whoever) is making the trail list can get an idea of what to do and where to go. i don't know how the trails are out there and if there are bypasses on the extreme stuff because id hate to have to sit out a trail because of a few sections. i really don't care what trails we run as long as their fun and not insanely difficult that we're all going to have a hard time making it.

i can go on and say now that ill probably still be on 33s and locked at both ends. d30/c8.25. nothing really special just your standard wheeler kind of rig. i don't mind pushing mine and its limits though.

edit:

i typed all that, then you posted which answered some of my concerns in this post. so ignore those parts ;)

while i havent been down there in my MJ yet, (as its still being built), I have wheeled my GF's TJ down there. its got a 2" budget boost and 32's, and we had an absolute blast. There were obviously places we could not take it, but those were few and far between. Even in a bone stock comanche, there would be plenty of fun to be had.

Most of the popular trails are right outside town, but there are hundreds if not thousand of miles of dirt roads that are seldom traveled. Moab also has a rich history of mining, and some of the old mines are still somewhat intact and can be checked out, (although i don't recommend entering the mines themselves).

yea, there is plenty of intense stuff to run, but don't feel like you need to get body damage to have fun down there. Moab is a great place to truly test the abilities of your vehicle without going overboard. However, if you want to go overboard, we can arrange for that as well, just make sure you bring a trailer ;)