Moab Pow Wow 2013: Sept. 13-15!!

johnny quest

25 members have voted

1. 1. when could you make a trip to Moab happen?

• May 2013
    • June 2013
    • July 2013
    • August 2013
    • September 2013
    • not this year :(

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no rear bumper....so that will help.

Haha, Not having a bumper will not really help. I would rather drag a solid bumper than sheetmetal that will fold, tear, and genrally hang up. Trust me, you want a bumper....I know.

Good to hear some are staying a while. I live close so ill hang with those who stay for some camping fun. I camp more than anything so its my fav thing to do. :)

If i remem right there is a campground up there with showers, or we can all pitch in for a motel room for one night mid week and go shower it up.

Nothing worse than a showerless week. Once you start gettin sticky and stinky, wheelin isnt as fun anymore. lol.

how long are the polls going to be open?

and how long are you guys wanting this trip to last?

i can't see driving all that way for a weekend, so I'm going to try to make a week out of it.

i'll leave the polls open for another month or so, but the length of the trip is totally up to each person. I figure we'll have an 'official' pow wow thatll last 2-3 days (most likely a friday-sunday), and those everyone will be encouraged to be there on those days, but i feel that there will be people in town both before and after the pow wow, trying to get the most out of their trip.

Good to hear some are staying a while. I live close so ill hang with those who stay for some camping fun. I camp more than anything so its my fav thing to do. :)

If i remem right there is a campground up there with showers, or we can all pitch in for a motel room for one night mid week and go shower it up.

Nothing worse than a showerless week. Once you start gettin sticky and stinky, wheelin isnt as fun anymore. lol.

yea the campground that i posted towards the beginning of this thread has public restrooms and showers. I thought about having someone be incharge of reservations for everyone, but decided that itll be easier for everyone to handle their own accomidations. With people coming from all over, it'll be impossible to keep track of who will be in town when, and for how long. Also, some people like myself will want to camp, where others would rather have a more solid roof over their heads. Either way, there are plenty of options. There are campgrounds right in the middle of town, and a few that are a bit further out. Some have amenities, some don't.

DATES

ok so it looks like september is the most popular option so far in the poll. the weekends in Sept of '13 are:

Sept 6-8

Sept 13-15

Sept 20-22

Sept 27-29

looking at the Moab events calendar (http://www.discovermoab.com/calendar.htm) we will be sharing the town with musicians on the first weekend, (which i believe closes down part of area BFE), artists on the 2nd weekend, cyclists and runners on the 3rd weekend, and skydivers, tourists and rug collectors on the last weekend, as well as ATV's/UTV's.

thoughts? right now, i'm leaning towards, the 13th-15th, or the 20th-22nd.

both dates are fine. I'm kind of liking the 20th but either one would work. ill also be camping 95% so yeah showers are a must haha.

i don't know how active the town gets but a campsite outside of town might be nicer to have. especially if theres something going on. which also means booking early might be a smart thing to do. but if somebody picks a site and books, might as well book with there to. after all this get together and wheelin' in general is about coming together having a good time. campfire included :yes: :group beer:

anyone else have any input on dates before we set dates (somewhat) in stone? I know we're dealing with something 7 months out, and that alot of people (including myself) my have to change plans between now and then, but its always good to get a date on the calendar.

Also, I feel that minimum rig requirments should be discussed. I'm not too worried about modifications (as long as theyre done safely and properly). My short list is recovery points front and rear, first aid kit, and at least one fire extinguisher. Thoughts?

I can agree about some requirements. All of those I'll have covered.

Anybody looking to do anything else while out there besides crawling? Looks like theres tons of rock climbing spots near by, I'm thinking I might give it a go. Theres also rafting/kayaking thats not too expensive. Its just a thought but hell its not like your out there everyday.

I'm thinking I can make it out there in Sept. no problem. How much in advance will we need to make the reservations for camping with access to showers?

I don't really want to install a locker, so I may just bring the Rubicon since it is set up already for crawling.

I can agree about some requirements. All of those I'll have covered.

Anybody looking to do anything else while out there besides crawling? Looks like theres tons of rock climbing spots near by, I'm thinking I might give it a go. Theres also rafting/kayaking thats not too expensive. Its just a thought but hell its not like your out there everyday.

the climbing in and around Moab is unreal, there's a spot called Wall Street that is a massive wall right on Potash road, so like 10 minutes outside town. I've belayed right from the back of a truck before. There is also river running and mountain biking all right there, with places in town to do guided tours, or to rent equipment and head out on your own.

I'm thinking I can make it out there in Sept. no problem. How much in advance will we need to make the reservations for camping with access to showers?

I don't really want to install a locker, so I may just bring the Rubicon since it is set up already for crawling.

not sure about campsite availability, but we just reserved a spot last night for the end of this april. it depends on how busy the weekends are. ES week goes quick, but the slower ones might even have walk ins available. i guess you could say that the sooner you know, the better.

lockers, while helpful, are not necessary down there. We got to some amazing places in an unlocked vehicle. but its all up to you.

the climbing in and around Moab is unreal, there's a spot called Wall Street that is a massive wall right on Potash road, so like 10 minutes outside town. I've belayed right from the back of a truck before. There is also river running and mountain biking all right there, with places in town to do guided tours, or to rent equipment and head out on your own.

so your in for going with then right :D

do you know how the KOA is down there?

• 2 weeks later...

gonna bump this up to the top before setting a date in stone. the 'slower' weekends in september are looking to be the 13-15th, and then the 20th to 22nd; is anyone strongly in favor of one over the other? if not, we can just flip a coin  :thumbsup:

I wish I could make two trips out there. I'll be out there in October for NAXJA's big event.

I've never been so I'm really looking forward to the trek. Even if it is about 1700 miles one way for me.  :eek: