I dont know wtf is wrong...

So for a while now my truck would randomly act like its running out of gas, like sputtering. I would just give it some gas and it would get over it. Now it is at the point where it does this but won't get over it. I just had to limp it home going 5mph making all kinds of popping sounds but then right when I got nearly home it came out of it. It has got to be a fuel problem, it idles fine and pulls great when its not having this issue, starts up just fine too. I recently found that a vacuum line that splits off near the gas tank had been shredded so I found one of them and reconnected but I could not find another, this is the only lead I have so far, does anyone know where those two lines should go?

I really need you guys' help on this one, dd. :(

Thanks for help----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------UPDATE: worst episode yet happened on my way home from the store, white smoke was billowing out from beneath the truck, assuredly from the cat which glows red when the issue occurs, I never could get it to come out of it. At this point I have replaced the fuel filter,map and o2 sensors and checked the spark plugs and ruled out the fuel pump, I get steady fuel pressure (used a gauge and everything). I am really at a lost and very lucky no one has run me off the road as I inch down it at 5mph trying to get home. If you have ever had this problem please let me know how to resolve it, I'm getting desperate and will try anything.

I think you are talking about your tank vent lines. There should be two that run from the opposite corners of the top of the tank and connect to a splitter, and then to a hard line that goes to your engine bay, and eventually your charcoal canister.

As for your problem, I don't think those will cause you any difficulty to that degree. Mine aren't really linked up to anything right now since my hard line is clogged with rust and it doesn't effect my driving. It sounds to me like your pump may be going, but I'm no expert. Somebody else should chime in with a more detailed explanation.

Thanks for your input, I thought that may be a possibility but it was so intermittent that I was unsure, I thought that the fuel pump would be an all or nothing kind of deal but I really don't have any clue :dunno:

As for the filter don't know the age, but I've had the truck a year and never messed with it so at least that long but surely much longer.

I am really new to these kinds of things this is the first vehicle ive actually done anything to myself.

Any good brand of filter I should try?

I ran to the adv. And got a Purolator and thru it on drove it around the block, so far so good, but like I said its intermittent so I'll monitor it for improvements.

Thanks!

:thumbsup:

Check your cat convert. I had a similar problem. I excelerated one day. Suddenly, it felt like it was going to die. It ran like someone was pulling me backwards. Could only get to 5/10 mph. Limped home.

Mechanic said the internal parts of the cc came loose and blocked the exhaust.

My $.02

Tim

Last time I had that issue my cat in my xj was clogged. Good ol broom stick will clear her right out if you don't have to pass emissions. I just left the empty canister on incase a stateboy wanted to check my exhaust over.

Wow much responses, thanks!

I have so far just changed the fuel filter and I drove it 30 miles today with no problems so far, I'll keep driving it this way until it does it again or if it doesn't that's even better :thumbsup:

As far as the cat suggestion that was never on my mind because this began before I even had a cat on it and I just put it on this weekend.

But like I said it seems to be better for now. If it was just a bad filter I'm going to feel like such an idiot for letting it go on for so long but whatever as long as its fixed.

I'll report back if it comes back, fingers crossed that it doesn't.

Thank you all for your help and advice :waving:

Ive had the O2 sensor give me fits like that before, idles fine, but starts to spit and sputter. Mine is a 2.5, but still a renix system. That might be something to try as well. Some of the trucks had emmissions timers on them to get you to change your 02 sensor. Most timers been removed by now, but the factory did want the O2 sensor to be a regular maint item.

I will have to look into some of the suggestions you all gave...

I was driving home from work yesterday and all of then sudden I lost acceleration ...on the interstate. :fs1:

It only lasted a few seconds but it really freaked the guy behind me out.

So its back to the drawing board, but I can tell that the truck runs better with a fresh fuel filter so there's always that.

Oh yeah I think the issue may be activated by hitting bumps in the road, or at least more likely to happen if I hit a bump.

Is there anything that would react to that but then go away?

Thanks for all ur help so far.

So what do you guys think is more probable:

Randomly Bad fuel pump or an o2 sensor needing to be replaced?

Which is easier to do?

Where is the o2 sensor located and how do I change it?

Also I was surprised by the price tag for the o2 sensor. :headpop:

Did work today...

Replaced the MAP sensor...actually made my issue more frequent.

Had to drive a bit to find a auto parts store with the o2 sensor in stock but went and grabbed that and thru it on.

NOTE TO SELF: even though its about to rain be sure to let the jeep cool down before replacing the o2 sensor...it will be f***ing hot. :doh:

Haven't driven it much since replacing the o2 sensor but so far so good. :thumbsup:

• 1 month later...

UPDATE: worst episode yet happened on my way home from the store, white smoke was billowing out from beneath the truck, assuredly from the cat which glows red when the issue occurs, I never could get it to come out of it. At this point I have replaced the fuel filter,map and o2 sensors and checked the spark plugs and ruled out the fuel pump, I get steady fuel pressure (used a gauge and everything). I am really at a lost and very lucky no one has run me off the road as I inch down it at 5mph trying to get home. If you have ever had this problem please let me know how to resolve it, I'm getting desperate and will to try anything.

Sounds like an overfueling issue. When that happens you will wash down the cylinders which dillutes the oil film that is always on the cyl walls, causes big white billowy smoke to pour out.

For instance, last one that did this i just fixed. Was a 95 camaro, he lost his fuel pressure regulator and it was just pouring fuel down the regulator hose into the manifold. Car died and caught fire underneath. (raw fuel pouring out of exhaust joints).

Could be your issue, or you may have an injector harness shorting causing the injectors to go full pulse width and flood your motor with raw fuel.

Next time it happens.. pull off the road immediately.

Then pull all 6 spark plugs and lay them in order. find the one thats fouled, or if its ALL of them, youll know which direction to go. :)