Built Up A Powerwheels Jeep!

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:rotf: much as I would like to boost power, it's going to be a while 'til he can handle that sort of speed. It'll happen :yes: but not anytime soon.

I originally wanted a bit of lift, some rubber tires, and a 4wd conversion (they have one electric motor per rear tire), but after examining the underside, there's nothing easy about any of those things. :( not impossible mind you, just not easy. bummer.

doesn't look hard from the outside,

but on the inside it gets complicated...

The gearing has sort of a portal hub design (though there is a steel shaft that runs from tire center to tire center)

Not sure how to lift it without some severe surgery. :dunno:

and the steering axle is worse. how am I supposed to lift it and get some motors in there?

on the plus side, I should be able to get some rubber tires on it. :yes:

The gear boxes just lock in to the plastic wedges on the wheel.

Here's the front wheel to show the difference

I put some rubber tires on his wagon which has a similar steel shaft design. just need to adapt the gearboxes to steel wheels

• 2 weeks later...

sittin' pretty. :D

my solution for mounting the wheels.

washer/Pex pipe/washer/pex adapter/Pex pipe/pex adapter

and that's a rubber 1-1/4" to 1-1/2" plumbing adapter

I've found that the Pex adapters have a slightly smaller inner diameter and fit the axle shaft better so they go where the bearings ride (axle shaft is 7/16", the wheels were designed to ride on a 5/8" shaft). But they are short and more expensive so regular pipe fills in the rest. If any of that makes sense. :nuts: Works great though! :yes:

Fixed the saggy suspension with part of a 8x8 L framing strap. :thumbsup: drilled out the steering pivot for a tighter fitting bolt (than the rivet that was there before). Everything is nice and tight, but I've got some toe-out. not sure if it affects anything though.

and the factory brace got a couple screws to hold it centered.

mounted a "spare" tire (it's only a 10 incher), real taillights (not wired up yet), and fabbed a hitch for the eventual trailer.

added some pieces of plywood to support the hitch and spare. later they will be swapped out for something more weather resistant.

and wrapped the main hoop with foam.

had a red one as a kid. i burnt out three motors and 2 batteries trying to make it climb the dirt pile in the back yard when we got a new septic tank. too bad they don't make those for adults. Wait........

• 2 weeks later...

bent a rear bar out of conduit and screwed it up to the main bar. But I don't much like the look and am already thinking on starting fresh and going all-custom with conduit. :brows:

New steering wheel from a different rig. 1" larger diameter and much better construction than the flimsy stock wheel. Didn't go right on though. I had to invent a method of attachment but it was worth it. :thumbsup: even comes with an electronic horn. :yes:

and since he's only 2, I added this one just for the heck of it: