The itch. Oh the itch. 4.7HO?

Automan2164

Gawd I need a new DD. Something different. I've been driving my '98 ZJ for waaaayyy too long in my book. Awhile back I remember a few of you talking about the WJ with the 4.7HO. Can anyone tell me more? Mileage, common problems, the usual you think about when buying? I like the look of them, and I also like the thought of having the power to tow if I need to...

Any advice is thanked in advance. :bowdown:

Rob

I think if you research the 4.7 you'll find its the hottest item in any dismantler's inventory. Simply because they just don't last that long. Call some local yards and see if they've got one, I bet they don't, they sell faster than free cute little basset hound puppies. Until if blows, you can expect good power and better gas mileage compared to the magnum 5.2, but then it will wreck itself at a young age.

I had a '99 WJ with the 4.7. Granted it was the first year of production for the WJ and for the 4.7L V8, but mine lasted 9 months and 14,000 miles. I had already had enough driveline problems that Chrysler was buying it back (to prevent me from going lemon law) and the replacement (a 2000 XJ Classic) was on order, but the WJ finally just died on me 2 miles from home, on the way to the supermarket.

The problem on mine was a failed camshaft position sensor. Which, of course, was not available, so I left the thing at the dealership for Chrysler to pick up. A friend of mine has a 2002 WJ 4.7 -- his engine self-destructed. Cost him something like $5,000 to have it repaired -- it was out of warranty when it blew.

To be honest, I hated the engine from Day One. It's just not a Jeep or truck engine. It has no low-end torque at all. It doesn't start to come alive until it's over 3,000 or 3,500 RPM ... which is useless in an off-road oriented vehicle with a highway cruise at around 2000 RPM. It would be a great engine in a Charger or something like that. In a Jeep? NAH!

Here's a diesel WJ in San Diego. I don't know what the pros or cons are though.

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/esd/cto/2883531096.html

thats a WK, not a WJ. And that engine is nice, those grand cherokees actually hold their value better than similar mercedes with the same engine......what a world huh?

on the 4.7, mine with an 03, 160k, was a very good running engine. Ran clean, didn't burn or leak any oil. Had power. Was plenty pleased with it, was not plenty pleased with the fuel economy though.

on the flipside I had an 01 4L with 138k, and it just felt like a dog compared to an XJ with the 4L.

I think if you research the 4.7 you'll find its the hottest item in any dismantler's inventory. Simply because they just don't last that long. Call some local yards and see if they've got one, I bet they don't, they sell faster than free cute little basset hound puppies. Until if blows, you can expect good power and better gas mileage compared to the magnum 5.2, but then it will wreck itself at a young age.

I agree. A friend of mine buys and sells cars, flips for a profit. He picked up a 4.7 GC thinking a motor would be easy to find. Not the case. he ended up with a big head ache. I don't remember what he ended up doing but he said hed never have another one. On the opposite end my neighbor bought a 4.7 lifted it wheeled it etc. no problems at all. had over 100k. :dunno:

I agree. A friend of mine buys and sells cars, flips for a profit. He picked up a 4.7 GC thinking a motor would be easy to find. Not the case. he ended up with a big head ache. I don't remember what he ended up doing but he said hed never have another one. On the opposite end my neighbor bought a 4.7 lifted it wheeled it etc. no problems at all. had over 100k. :dunno:

I have a 04 WJ and I love it. I bought it brand new and have beat it like a rented mule. I have just under 100K on it right now and it still runs like a top. I have towed waaay to much with it and have never once got it over 220 degrees. I like the 4.7, it is a good motor. I have not heard of many failures with them at all. I do not ever see any in the junk yard either.

My Grand Cherokee is a 05 WK with the 4.7 it has been a good motor for the short time i have had it... I already put 10-15000 miles on it sense i bought in November.

last week it had no problem moving 1,400 lbs of stone.

normal driving for me is about 40% city 60% highway and i had been getting about 17.7 MPG. I plan to starting using fuelly.com to track my mileage. here is a linkhttp://www.fuelly.com/driver/blue88comanche/grand-cherokee

my user is Blue88Comanche

the 4.7 is known to drop valve seats from the heads, which results in total engine destruction. when they fail, engine pieces usually end up in the plastic intake and are next to impossible to remove. some after market remans have a better design for the valve seats, for example jasper revised the design so they don't have the same problem. a few months back at work, i put a jasper 4.7 in an 02 grand, the motor itself was over 3k, and then install was i want to say around 14-15 hours. at the same time, we had an 02 ram 1500 with the same 4.7 in it, and it went to the scrapper because of the cost to replace the motor. same problem, dropped valve seats. both trucks had about 120k miles on them.