what winch do you use?

Blue88Comanche

I run a EPi 9000lb Superwinch on my TJ. It has been a very, very reliable winch and has great line speed. The remote is also very easy to operate with big gloves on.

When I went to Joplin to help a fellow Jeeper clean up his property we had to pull his minivan out from under house rubble to the street side. We parked side by side and both latched onto the van. Needless to say, his XRC9000 could not keep up with my Epi9.0. I was out pulling him while latched on to the van and he has no load on the line....

You should browse Pirate4x4.com and read some reviews on the Harbor Freight Badlands winch series. They have been getting some very positive reviews. I was shocked with that coming from Pirate.

Harbor Freights' old winches (as well as the older Smittlybilt ones) are known to be slow, but that was usually the only complaint about them. I heard the badlands ones are faster, and I know my XRC10 is not much slower than a Warn.

I did see an old Harbor Freight one weekend before last when the owner was respooling the drum. Even without a load that thing crawled. Have yet to see one of those new ones in action.

I seem to like beat up old Warn 8274s. Have one on my big ugly GMC thing, and one sitting in the pile of parts for my XJ. They're reliable, reasonably fast with the older motors, and can be found with 150' of cable for only a couple hundred dollars.

Only problem is they're big, and awkward to mount.

i have yet to try it out, but i have a harbor freight brand 12,000lb winch. it looks pretty beefy and i got the 3 year replacement warranty for it incase i do ever burn it up. i figured 12,000lbs would be more than enough to pull my ole' ZJ out of pretty much anything.

Josh

if you can save $300-$600 bucks cash and then just be patient you'll find what you need/want on/off craigslist.

saw a warn m8000 a couple weeks ago 250 obo... thought about it but already have 1.

oh ya my m8000 is 18yrs old prob only used a dozen+ times. most pulls are a couple of feet not accross a yard so line pull ?.

my 60+yr old bellview on my willys is slow but it still pulls... unless you want it new i'd just get a used winch.