Puddle was a bit deep.

It didn't look like it was that deep but I guess I was wrong :oops: I got stuck about half way through it and it pretty much stalled right away. We pulled it out and tried turning it over but nothing happened, after letting it dry for half an hour it would turn over but still won't start. We towed it out to the road but it was getting dark and we didn't bring much tools or anything so it's still sitting there now. I'll go back tomorrow and either try and get it running or trailer it home, any recommendations on what to do when I get out there tomorrow? I don't really know where so start with this.

Thanks

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO START!

if you stalled, you sucked water into the cylinders, maybe a little, maybe a lot. either way, turning it over was a bad idea.

pull the plugs

check oil

check trans fluid

you're gonna have water in those, and probably your differentials. so, time for a massive fluid swap is likely.

AFTER you've checked all of this, done the necessary swaps, etc.

turn it over, with the plugs removed. this will allow you to blow all water out of the cylinders.

then put the plugs back in, attempt to start it, and begin diagnosing the electrical issues that are likely to ensue from likely not being properly waterproofed prior to sinking them.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO START!

if you stalled, you sucked water into the cylinders, maybe a little, maybe a lot. either way, turning it over was a bad idea.

pull the plugs

check oil

check trans fluid

you're gonna have water in those, and probably your differentials. so, time for a massive fluid swap is likely.

AFTER you've checked all of this, done the necessary swaps, etc.

turn it over, with the plugs removed. this will allow you to blow all water out of the cylinders.

then put the plugs back in, attempt to start it, and begin diagnosing the electrical issues that are likely to ensue from likely not being properly waterproofed prior to sinking them.

ive learned its best to just stay out of deep water. after this, you should too :D

We took the plugs out and turned it over and then tried starting it, and she ran perfect. I decided I should still trailer it home because there was water in the oil and it was about a 30min drive. Here's the oil that came out.

Got some fresh oil, new filter, plugs and air cleaner.

That's 10 seconds too long. Should have checked the oil first. Looking like that it should have changed on the spot, or winched onto the trailer. Don;t be surprised if you spin a bearing in the not too distant future.

Check your transmission fluid, transfer case fluid and both axles. I'm willing to bet two out of those 4 also have water in them. Then grease all fittings to drive the water out of them, and start saving up for two new unit bearings.

Hey a guy can't be a grown up all the time. I would never go in water that deep, but I have been there by accident. The worst thing to get water into is an auto trans, flush it the best you can, and start looking for a replacement for it when it konks out.

Wow some of you guys are harsh... weve all been there before, maybe not in quite as bad of a situation but we all have done sumb things. I'm glad he has been taking our advice and after his excusion I'm sure he'll know that much more about his MJ and knowing what he should and shouldn't do with it ;)

Keep after it man, after all wrenching on your Comanche is half the fun :wrench: :cheers:

I'm glad he has been taking our advice and after his excusion I'm sure he'll know that much more about his MJ and knowing what he should and shouldn't do with it

he didn't take anyones advice. that's why I'm being harsh. he was told, he ignored, and as marcel said...he's gonna have something blow in the distant future.

beyond that, "it was only running for 10 seconds" is a crock of BS. Been there, done that, know he's under-exxagerating from personal experience.

last thing. yep, I've been there. but, when I was there, I did it with every intention of replacing the motor before water even hit it. the parts were already lined up and ready to replace before it ever got truly broken. this kid obviously doesn't know enough to have that covered.

What are those hook-shaped tube things that can be bolted onto a fender and air box which aid in keeping water from being ingested into an engine when encountering deep liquid obstacles such as what has occurred above? The name is totally escaping me. Sporkle? Storkle? C'mon, someone help me out here. It's on the tip of my tongue.

Well sorry if I offended anyone by not following directions but I would rather bring the truck home and fix whatever is needed instead of trying to do it on the side of the road. 10 seconds might have been an exaggeration but it's not like I drove it home or revved it up really high, just pulled it onto the trailer because I didn't have a come-along with me. I'm not really all that worried about something to happen to the engine because that's just an excuse for a bigger one.

ill have to agree with the harshness thing. he's a new member (or so i gathered) and we're already making him hate us as an MJ community. sure he half @$$ listened, oh well. its his MJ. yes i agree its completely retarded to just go diving into deep water but again its his truck. you guys did the right thing by telling him what to do. thats enough right there. don't brow beat him and make yourselfs look bad.

Change all of the fluids as mentioned above. I would suggest using a cheap synthetic where ever possible then changing the fluids again in 500 miles. Synthetic oils are hygroscopic meaning they can attract water that may be hiding in a bearing or the like. When you change the fluids after 500 miles, any droplets of water that may not have drained out should come out with the synthetic flush. If the fluids are still milky, repeat the process. Then fill with your favorite fluids.

Oh yeah, don't hit deep water holes fast. Where your truck stalled wouldn't have been so bad had you simply driven into the water. If you do plan on continuing to play in water, spend some time water proofing your truck. Breathers, dizzy, electrical plugs, etc.

I can't understand anybody doing anything as stupid as driving off into deep water. In my over 60 years of driving I have never done anything that dumb or anything else that stupid,

NOTE:

This tirade has been interrupted by a lightening bolt from above, striking El Jimbo on top of his curly hair and exiting his bod thru his now curly toes.

:jump:

• 4 weeks later...

Agreed, the worst thing you could have done is try and turn it over and then actually starting it takes the cake. You are likely going to have issues but we all live and learn. Hopefully this is a lesson learned, and I believe weve all had our fair share of "idiot moments." If it makes you feel better I had an 87 YJ that I (the night before) put a snorkel on and was feeling brave. Well, I forgot to seal off the TB portion of the setup and I sank and stalled it in some deep water mid February in Pennsylvania. Here's a pic to clarify my "idiot moment"

228483_5536204997_695089997_172606_916_n.jpg

Note that at this point it had been pulled back 10' and when it originally occurred the water was cresting the bottom of the windshield. Really, really stupid on my part but I learned! Last time I ever entered deep water with a Jeep ;)

RockMJ

Live and learn. Not the brightest idea, but I like water and mud too so I can see the appeal. I also spent a lot of time water proofing the Jeeps I have to allow me to do that.

Anyhow...despite what they might be willing to admit we've all made mistakes because we are all human...I think :dunno: Plus, just like the shirts we have here at work say:

Jeeper's Code: Build. Break. Fix. Repeat.

And I promise, we're not ALL judging you right now. Jeep on!

:cheers: