What is an MJ worth these days?

I live in an area where people think that because it says jeep and is more than 20 years old it is worth gold. I'm in the market to buy a Comanche and I'm just curious as to what the going rate is on a pretty good shaped, no rust and running MJ. Thanks for the help!

a lot more info is needed then that to even start at a base price. motor, tranny, 2wd or 4, mileage, etc. then you get into stuff like add ons and upgrades. it not as easy as its in good shape give me a price. then you have where you live also factors in. i mean the list goes on and on but give the basics first :cheers:

And just what area do you live in? Prices vary so much between different parts of the country there is no reliable standard. The least I've paid for a MJ was $100. Only needed a battery to run. The most I've paid for one was $650. I paid $250 for a '87 and it's been my DD for the last 2 years. Haven't spent a nickel on it other than gas and oil.

And just what area do you live in? Prices vary so much between different parts of the country there is no reliable standard. The least I've paid for a MJ was $100. Only needed a battery to run. The most I've paid for one was $650. I paid $250 for a '87 and it's been my DD for the last 2 years. Haven't spent a nickel on it other than gas and oil.

Man I wish the prices were like that around me. I bought mine for $2,200 :???: ...an 88 Pioneer, 4x4 swb, 5 speed with the 4.0. No upgrades besides an ugly dual exhaust which came off immediately. I paid $200 for a gutted MJ...just the frame and body, and partial interior. It did have a title though :yes: I still look on CL in the surrounding area and the cheapest I've found is $1000, and as high as $7k +.

Jim - didn't you get the truck that died on I70 outside of Denver for free? It was a members truck who was moving to cali or something, if I remember right.

RIGHT!! I for got about that one. Belonged to Mike Chelbik. moving to Las Vegas for college, if I remember right. Putting a new radiator in it. So far I've got $200 tied up in it. Includes the trip going after it and parts. Nice running truck. I figure when Mike gets settled and got a couple bucks, he might want it back. I'm keeping a list of all expenses and he can have it for what I've got in it. Or if he doesn't want, I'll just keep it.

What they could be worth and what they are worth are differant things. NADA guides classic car pricing put my MJ at more than $7000. Could I sell it for that? NO. I paid $250 for it, put a tune up and an o2 sensor in it and its been running great for almost 4 years now. Ive since converted it to 4wd, AC, PS, PL and some other stuff. The biggest thing with prices on old cars is what the owner thinks its worth. Like my truck with more than 300,000 miles on it, the owner pretty much though it wasnt worth much more than scrap price and thats what he sold it to me for, knowing that Id fix it up. If you can find an owner like that you can get a deal, but many of todays sellers are much more informed due to that thing called the interweb. They can see values like the NADA classic guide, and then be convinced they can get $7000 for that rusty 20 some year old pile in their driveway and then wonder why no one wants to buy it. You just need to keep an eye out, and hope to get lucky.

As a point of reference, there was recently a 92 Eliminator, 4.0, 4WD, AW4, on Ebay.

A Florida truck in very nice condition. The owner felt the truck was work $6000, but

the bidding stopped at $3000. I think the value was somewhere between the high

bid and the owner's opinion.

Dad got his for $1500.. the seller wanted $2500.. and before they sold it to us they did over $1000 worth of stuff to it (new tires, spark plugs, so on (we have the receipts for warranty)

Dad's way of thinking we got the MJ for $500 and $1000 worth of sutff we would have done any way...

and this is in Alabama.

My rust-free '89 was $1400 in Arizona. It's needed some things done, and other things I've done just because. I feel like the general opinion is find the one with the best body you can. Powertrain is reasonably easy to swap from an XJ. Body work tends to be harder to get right.

My 88 was $400. It needed lots of work, paint, interior, some mechanicals. I have spent close to 2K on repairs and upgrades. I saw 3 today on ebay for 5K.

My 88 was $400. It needed lots of work, paint, interior, some mechanicals. I have spent close to 2K on repairs and upgrades. I saw 3 today on ebay for 5K.

Mine is worth $2K...and priceless.

Rinse & repeat.

Like said...it all depends

Paid 900 for one, 1800 for another. Depends on how bad the seller needs the money. Cash is king, bring it when you look at one. Depending on the vibes I get from the seller, I usually start at 50% of the asking price, then go up from there.

Don't listen to me though, I usually lose money on my Jeeps, but that's why its so fun! :cheers:

I paid $300.00 for the 87 I picked up in TN - it was a GA truck that sold at auction (and has a salvage title). I had to put $100.00 into straightening the frame and about $400.00 in 'extras' that I wanted (tilt, cruise, bucket seats). I drive it almost every day now even though it still needs a paint job.

I paid $700.00 for the 89 out of MS, but by the time I had gone through it completely I probably put another $2500.00 to $3,000.00 into it. It is my son's daily driver and he'll be taking it to college (back in MS!).

I paid $500 for an '87 with about 70k miles on it & d44 axle. It was driven by an old guy every weekend to mow grass during the summers. Then it sat during the winter months. The engine, frame and interior were in very good shape but the body panels were not. It still runs like new.

I payed $1500 for my 89, very good shape for 197000 miles, just needed a paint job really...Lots of new parts and D44 rear end.

Payed $1500 for my 90, easly worth $3k or more as it sat, beautiful rust free Eliminator, just some dings and a few dents from yard work but flawless interior. Havent sunk much more than $500 into it since i bought it.