Blatent XJ Abuse - Disturbing Photos Inside

terrawombat

I found this XJ up for sale on CL yesterday and it was about 20 minutes from my house so I decided to check it out. Plus, the seller listed it with no photos and a $100 price tag so I thought I'd take a look and maybe get lucky. The ad stated that his friend had borrowed the vehicle, got drunk, fell asleep at the wheel and coasted into a guard rail. Local rescue squad felt they needed to use the jaws of life to get to the passed out drunk man inside.

It really was a shame. All of the doors were unlocked according to the seller and they could have just opened them up, unbuckled the occupant, and removed him from the vehicle, but instead, they thought they would teach him a lesson about drunk driving and completely destroy his vehicle. Little did they know, the Jeep wasn't even his...

Prior to the rescue squad completely destroying this XJ, it only needed a front left fender, header panel, and bumper. They also used a crowbar to pry open the hood to cut the positive terminal going to the battery to shut the car off, also ruining the passenger fender and hood.

This was a case of blatent misuse of authority and power. The owner of the vehicle hired a lawyer to file a suit, but the local PD and FD wouldn't give up a single name and nothing ever really came about since the owner couldn't afford to pay the lawyer to see the case through.

The owner was trying to sell it because he needs to buy another vehicle to replace this one, which ultimately meant he wanted more than it was probably worth. He wanted $1500 - I offered about half (which I still thought may be too much), but the best we could do was $1000. Way too much money for a Jeep that will never see the road again and would leave me to part it out. I was mainly only interested in the axles and maybe the motor - around 90K miles on it. Interior was damn near perfect, too...

Same reason people list things on CL for a $1...just a filler because they don't really have a set price in mind. I don't think he really knew what it was worth in the condition it was in. He told me some guy called after me and offered him $1500 and would take it away that day, sight unseen so maybe that's where he got the price from? He said he needed an extra $2100 to pay off the remaining balance on the new truck he got (4.7L Durango). I didn't go there expecting to pay $100 for an '01XJ, but it would have been a nice surprise! I got my '01XJ that I DD for $400 and it was running and driving and had 154K miles on the ticker. Needed a new engine, but everything else was cherry. Also got a mildly wrecked '99XJ with 146K on it for $500. Based on those two vehicles, I knew what I wanted to offer on this one...

That really is a shame, that Cherokee looks like it was damn near cherry. Having said that, I don't know if I entirely believe that guy's story. I know everyone can have their bad moments, but for a whole fire team to pull that kind of BS seems very unlikely.

Although, thinking of another explaination as to why they used the jaws of life on the Cherokee is escaping me.

That really is a shame, that Cherokee looks like it was damn near cherry. Having said that, I don't know if I entirely believe that guy's story. I know everyone can have their bad moments, but for a whole fire team to pull that kind of BS seems very unlikely.

Although, thinking of another explaination as to why they used the jaws of life on the Cherokee is escaping me.

I'm sure that the guy made the story a lot more tame than what it actually was. His "friend" as he stated in the ad turned out to be his nephew, who is an alcoholic, and is currently in a rehabilitation facility to fight the disease. Sounds like the kid had a rough life and his parents basically abandoned him so his Uncle was taking care of him. However, knowing the fire department that was called to the scene, I'm inclined to believe this guy's story that this was just outright abuse of authority. The town he lives in is VERY strict on drunk driving. They have to be because there aren't any other revenue-generating things in town. It's a wealthy, upscale town with minimal crime. You'll often see the cops create a road block where they slow you down from 50MPH to 10MPH through narrow cones so they can check to see if you're wearing your seat belt and if your inspection sticker is up to date. If not, they wave you to the side street where another officer issues you a ticket. Although I don't know the entire story, I'm willing to place a rather large wager that when the local FD caught wind there was a drunk driver passed out in his truck that had hit a guard rail, dozens of fire fighters went out there to witness the accident and looked for ANY reason to cut this car up. I'm sure the driver was pretty drunk and pretty belligerent and may have been uncooperative, but that is no reason to completely destroy the vehicle.

I don't condone drunk driving one bit and this situation could have been a whole lot worse (i.e. he hit another car when he passed out and crossed the center line). But I also don't condone officers of the law or rescue workers going to unneccesary extremes just because they can.

PD and FD members have each other's backs...they KNOW they abused their power, and they will NOT be giving up names to the ordeal easily...though they should be on the police report.

that's a damn shame. that said...I can fix that. the body still looks square, and that is nothing that a bit of spot weld drilling, panel replacement, stitch welding, and paint couldn't fix.

someone like Sir Sam could buy that and fix it and still turn a profit.

thats when you break out a few insane friends and go have some fun on their vehicles :D

in all seriousness. that is messed up. sure drunk driving isnt cool but there is no call for that. i would have to call foul on that and seek some justice. even if it ended up being street justice :yes:

All they really needed to do to get in would have been to bust a window and unlock the door, what they did is completely uncalled for, especially if it really was unlocked like was said. STUPID!

Exactly my thinking. Even if the story was "toned" down from how it was told to me...say the guy was drunk, resisted being detained, locked himself in the truck, and attempted to drive away - busting out a window and unlocking the door is all that would need to be done. Hell, they DID bust out the rear quarter window. Truth of the matter is that the damage they did took a significant amount of time so it wasn't like the drunkard in the front seat was trying to evade the police.

If the buyer of the Cherokee didn't want to replace the doors and got it for super cheap, taking off the doors on the other side would made that Jeep the coolest dedicated off-roader/dune buggy/hunting rig. I'd go there with like $600 and see if he would take $400.

The guy's story is a load of crap...

Every person who responded to the call has their name entered into the official department records. Alot of departments require every responder to fill out after call reports even if they spend 2 hours standing around thumbs up their butts. If the guy really had a lawyer, its a simple FOIA filing for them.

What we don't see is the b-pillar. Drunk friend could have driven into something, mangling the b-pillar, which made opening the doors impossible.

It's lying in the back...completely intact with some very nice, straight cuts on the top and bottom. Drivers door was also in really good shape - only damage was to the hinges. Both passenger doors and hatch open, too. Getting to the drunk nephew wasn't an issue here.

The guy's story is a load of crap...

Every person who responded to the call has their name entered into the official department records. Alot of departments require every responder to fill out after call reports even if they spend 2 hours standing around thumbs up their butts. If the guy really had a lawyer, its a simple FOIA filing for them.

True, when I was a volunteer fire fighter we recorded names of everyone there, including who the senior fire fighter in charge. Its mainly for protection from lawsuits. Everyone has a job, anything done, medical, mechanical extraction or anything, is supervised by qualified personnel or its not done at all. Too many people are suing fire stations these days. I don't think they get the same level of protection against lawsuits that Police officers do.

Guy wants too much money for it, no way that would sell for $1500 at my local auction like that.

But if I got it for $500 I would be temped to replace the pillars and 1/4 panel,spray it, and call it good.

Guy wants too much money for it, no way that would sell for $1500 at my local auction like that.

But if I got it for $500 I would be temped to replace the pillars and 1/4 panel,spray it, and call it good.

I agree - $1500 was way outta the ballpark. I offered him $700 and even I thought that was being generous. I planned on using the engine in my '92MJ, t-case and rear axle in my '01XJ, and sell the rest and I probably still wouldn't have broken even.

I think I'll stick to buying XJs from the rich folks around here who dump them cheap because they got a ridiculous repair bill from the overpriced shops in our area and feel they aren't worth much.

What i see is a very unprofessional act. Yes its great fun playing with extraction tools. I was a firefighter myself for my township for a couple years till I moved away from the area.

But if this was a ford explorer, would we really care? :dunno:

If I was on scene I probably would have done something similar if it was a drunk driver BUT NOT IN A JEEP, not much love here for drunks or druggies. :thwak: I probably wouldn't have gone that far though.

See - that's the problem I have with this whole scenario. I play ice hockey with a bunch of guys from my local fire department. I get to hear a bunch of their stories where they messed with people because they were drunk. I have to laugh because the guys telling the stories are some of the biggest drinkers I know. They're constantly getting drunk at the local bars, getting into their cars and driving home. But when someone else does it, they think it's funny to mess with them? I can't stand hypocrites.

I'm not a hypocrite. Someone close to me was killed by a drunk driver. The law is too lenient on them. You let an alcoholic drive your rig then you deserve it. Hope all drunk drivers end up in jail for a long time! Not just the weekend, I mean years behind bars, yes if you're too stupid to call a cab then you deserve the max penalty of the law, period. I drink plenty but never behind the wheel. Sorry to seem abrasive but I don't feel sorry for the guy, he was stupid to let that guy drive his XJ. Those fire fighters went a little overboard but I'd be surprised if anything comes of it, nothing should.

Sorry - didn't mean to insinuate that YOU or ALL members of local FDs are hypocrites - just a couple of the ones in my area.

Bottom line is that the Owner should have never let anyone else drive his vehicle, especially someone who has a history of being an alcoholic. I can't say I blame him, though, as I've let a couple of my friends borrow my XJ for a couple of days so they could get to and from work, although I would completely expect them to pay for my vehicle if they were to destroy it.

I'm sure almost everyone can think of at least one person in their life that has been affected by a drunk driver. My father had to be airlifted off of the scene of an accident when he was hit by a woman trying to pass him while he was on a tractor driving from our one barn to the other. The tractor split in half and my father was found about 30 feet from the scene down the road. Didn't kill him because he's a tough son of a b*@$£, but all of the rescue workers said they have no idea how he survived. A friend of my cousin was killed a few years ago after he was hit on his motorcycle by a drunk driver. Even after the drunk driver hit him, he didn't realize what had happened and kept driving and literally ran the guy over, which is what ultimately killed him - not the initial impact.

I have zero tolerance for drunk drivers. There is absolutely no excuse for it. Here in KS they are cracking down on drunk drivers. Now after your first offense a breathalizer interlock device will be installed in your car after being released from jail.

If anybody buys that XJ, I will donate the A/B pillar, rear quarter, rear door and roof line if needed. I don't have a use for these parts.

I have to say...the breathalizer interface, is a GREAT idea...that does not work too well in some scenarios.

example...buddy has a friend who had one of those installed for obvious reasons. you could be driving down the interstate, and because it gives random intervals to test, if you are either drinking and driving, or simply don't hear it say it needs to be done...it will shut the vehicle down. no matter what speed you are at.

that is unsafe.

if you ask me, first offense drunk driving, you lose your license. period. 6 months mandatory without a license. 2nd offense, tracking bracelet, lose your license. 3rd, jail. period. no exceptions.