Tailgate cables?

Hey guys I was walking through the isles of my local advance auto and they had tailgate cables and that gave me an idea! Why deal with those annoying rattling folding straps! Has anyone used cables before and if you did where did you get them

Thanks - Nick

That's a good idea too but all the rubber bumpers on the inside of the bed between the tailgate are crushed so it would still move around a lot so instead of beating around the bush I'm just going to rip that fn bush out of the ground :D or said tailgate and try to find cables

• 2 years later...

I like the sound of the bars clanking around too. Also I was standing on a tail gate of a Chevy that had cables and they busted. The power trowel on the tailgate fell too and bent up the blades. The cables get moisture in them and break where the cable folds when the gate is closed. I know this takes along time to happen but I have never seen the metal bars fail.

The Dodge Ram pickups have cables that break often. I was just thinking to myself the other day that I'm glad I have straps instead of failure prone cables. And I can say, Ive never really noticed the straps making any noise. But I bet I will now that you guys have brought it up.

I don't know if this will help or if it is what you are looking for but back in the day a lot of gates (even factory) came with chains....to quite the rattling we would just slip a chunk of hose over them...or like Hornbrod says above now a days you can get heat shrink cheap... :dunno:

I was moving something with a buddy over the summer

and he laughed when he saw the old school folding arms :)

said, wow this truck is OLD

That's when I knew I liked them better than cables 

I cut some pieces from a bicycle inner tube and slid them over mine. Works great.

On the tail gate noise subject, what are people doing for the little round bumpers that the top of the tail gate rests against when closed?  Last time I checked the dealer wanted about $7.00 apiece. Don't know if they are even available any more.

I've tried the cable option, it doesn't work too well.  Cables rust, even when insulated.  I have yet to see the stock ones fall.

and this is just disgusting.

Or... put on a nice sounding exhaust system and you won't hear the rattle or much of anything else.  Sorta like this.

I've tried the cable option, it doesn't work too well.  Cables rust, even when insulated.  I have yet to see the stock ones fall.

and this is just disgusting.

Or... put on a nice sounding exhaust system and you won't hear the rattle or much of anything else.  Sorta like this.

Lol

to each his own.

it looks like that truck probably belongs to the guy who posted the pic (stacks),

so I guess it works for him ;)  :)

I grew up and started turning wrenches in the 1960's muscle car era.  Back then quiet equated to gutless performance wise. What can I say, "You can't teach an old dog new tricks??"  I do have to admit the crackle of a split exhaust manifold on a straight 6 is a bit annoying to begin with but... it grows on ya!  LOL  Just got some 4" diameter pieces of drive-line to make new stacks.  There's 3" on there now.  That should make the crackle a bit lower pitched... maybe.  :P  I also have to admit to purposely putting things up to create a little "hate and discontent" now and then.  :laughin:   We are all unique/different in our own ways and a noisy exhaust is one of mine.  I have a cross bed tool box that hides the in box plumbing for the stacks now too.  I'll be quiet now about the exhaust stuff.

On the issue of the noisy/rattling tailgate arms...  I've used nylon washers to dampen the noise and you can also drill out the center pivot and install a nut and bolt with nylon washers in between to cut the noise down. Those along with heat shrink or inner tube or rubber hose makes them mostly quiet.  My experience with cables is they fray at the end fittings, rust unless they are stainless and are notorious for getting pinched and kinked. Just my two cents worth.

Noise isn't a problem, it's looks. Around here, people with stacks are....frowned upon. Typically because they fit a low class stereotype and usually are the people who end up getting ticketed for dumb, illegal things in their trucks.

"What is this rust everyone keeps talking about?"

If this wasn't a family friendly forum I would tell you to bite me.....  :waving:  lol

You are just jealous of the much improved performance and MPG that we can achieve with our greatly lightened rust belt MJ's.

Stacks on pick-ups are often viewed as the current version of giant wings on ricers.