Tailgate cables?

There's a guy here in town with dual 4" chrome stacks (with the little flaps on top) on his jacked up camo Chevy LUV who sports a purple & yellow Mohawk.

If I was smart enough to own a smart phone I'd get a picture.  I believe he may be single!!! :dunno:

• 3 weeks later...

So I fixed my tailgate and it turns out all those rubber bumpers are having a fight with the tailgate straps. I cut away the offending rubber pretty well and that's great but I was thinking I might like cables. Does anyone who has switched remember which tailgate cables they used?

I've tried the cable option, it doesn't work too well.  Cables rust, even when insulated.  I have yet to see the stock ones fall.

What is this rust everyone keeps talking about?

With the gate closed the eyes of the cable point upward. Water works it's way down the cable to the loop at the bottom of the folded cable........or the center of the cable.......and rust eats the cable in two.

I replaced the cables on my Ranger three times in 14 years.

I've tried the cable option, it doesn't work too well.  Cables rust, even when insulated.  I have yet to see the stock ones fall.

What is this rust everyone keeps talking about?

With the gate closed the eyes of the cable point upward. Water works it's way down the cable to the loop at the bottom of the folded cable........or the center of the cable.......and rust eats the cable in two.

I replaced the cables on my Ranger three times in 14 years.

I still got my original cables on my 98 Dakota, but they've stretched to where one side rest on my bumper :\

I thought I'd update y'all since I had bumped this thread almost a month ago. My passenger side tailgate "strap?" was rattling like crazy which drove me crazy. Since the cables aren't all they cracked up to be, I just picked up a tailgate rubber bumper piece from the junkyard, modified it to fit, and now my truck is a lot quieter. It cost me nothing.

Oh, and I did buy 1" inside diameter heat shrink tubing, guess I don't need that anymore LOL, it's for sale, cheap.

I bought Jeep out of all the remaining Tailgate strap rubber bumpers when I first setup my shop and still have about 15 or so left kicking of the larger ones and the last few smaller ones

for future use and also I bought the last remaining Latch/strap that existed too... I put them away for later when My rubber bumpers fail and I may need to change my one as the strap on the DS

slipped under one and damaged it so I have to be careful closing my tailgate so the strap doesn't rattle..

I replaced tailgate cables about twice a week for the last twelve years. Usually in what I've seen the sheathing gets worn and the cable rots. I still want them more than what I've got.

That must be a major PITA.

I replaced tailgate cables about twice a week for the last twelve years. Usually in what I've seen the sheathing gets worn and the cable rots. I still want them more than what I've got.

That must be a major PITA.

Not really, it's an easy way to get yourself extra hours (money) on a routine service. Same with hood and hatch struts, headlight alignments, all kinds of easy stuff can get tacked on. Up until recently I worked as a dealership tech. Now I do custom audio.