Comanche of the month, May 2011 --- '87WARRIOR's 1992

That time of the month again in CC land, and why not highlight a project that should be motivation for us all to get going with the approaching nice weather:

---------------MAY 2011 - '87WARRIOR'S - 1992 Comanche------------------

Since it is a project, I decided to list what it will end up with once on the road.

MODEL AND YEAR

1992 Jeep Comanche

ENGINE & PERFORMANCE:

4.0L+

- Stock Crankshaft and Connecting Rods

- Sealed Power Pistons 0.030"

- Comp Cam 321 camshaft

- 0.00" deck clearance

- 0.052" Headgasket

- Mopar Performance valve train

AW4

NP242

DRIVETRAIN:

Dana 44 TJ Rubicon Front Axle with 4.10s and factory locker

- Rockcrusher Differential cover

Dana 44 MJ Rear Axle with 4.10s and Trac-Lok

COOLING:

- 1999 Cherokee open cooling

- Possible mechanical fan delete with electric fan (TBD)

ELECTRICAL & IGNITION:

- 1999 Cherokee Engine harness

- 22 gallon Dodge Dakota fuel tank

STEERING:

- Moog V8 ZJ

SUSPENSION:

Front

- 3" SkyJacker lift springs

- RE Adjustable track bar

- Adjustable upper and lower Control Arms (TBD)

- JKS Disconnects

- Monotube shocks (TBD)

Rear

- 2-3" Lift, probably a MT pack with shackles (TBD)

- Monotube shocks (TBD)

INTERIOR:

- Two-Toned, Agate and Gray

- 1999 XJ Conversion

- Dodge Dakota 40/20/40 split bench

- Mid-90's Chrysler rear view mirror with map lights

BRAKES:

- Front: Vanco 15" Big Brake Kit with EBC Yellow Stuff Pads

- Rear: ZJ D44a Rear Disk brakes

- 1999 Cherokee Power Booster and Proportioning Valve

LIGHTING:

- Skinnypedal's IPF housing and 55w 4300K HID bulbs

WHEELS/TIRES:

- Rubicon Moabs

- 245/75R16 Cooper ST

MISCELLANEOUS:

- Replacing the floor pans, Rockers and Cab corners

- Warn VR8000 on custom Hidden Winch

Best MJ story

Growing up I always liked the “Jeep Truck,” I thought it was the coolest vehicle on the road. There is one truck in particular that I recall. It was a white ’86 with the big orange 4x4 sticker on the side. I can’t explain it, but you all know what I am talking about, but I fell in love with it.

The best story I have about my truck has to do with bushings that had 200K miles on them. One hot summer afternoon I stopped by the local Sonic to pick up a Rout44 Cherry Limeade. Since the truck did not have cup holders I had it in my lap as I left town. The road leaving town has a bend in it as it turns into a county highway. I began accelerating to 60mph when my first case of death wobble set in. The violent shaking dumped the entire contents of my Route44 drink down my legs and filled my floor boards while I tried to get the truck pulled over to the shoulder. Talk about frustrating!

What owner loves best about CC

Without the Comanche Club I would still be driving the Comanche I bought off craigslist. The creativity and ingenuity that the diverse members of bring to the table is outstanding. With that said what I love the most about the Comanche Club is, the members. What would the ‘Club be without Hornbord’s chrome, jimoshel’s stories, freakjeep93‘s frame repair, or Sir Sam’s brutal honesty? The ‘Club has a dynamic in which all members have their place. I love it.

The Craigslist picture that sold me

New bed painted and Raptor lined

1999 XJ Donor, bought from a hillbilly in Central MO

Dash and Door fitting

Making the foot brake fit

Front clip fit

Before Uni-body sand blasting

After Uni-body sand blasting

POR15, Tie-Coat Primer and two coats of Chassis Black applied to frame

Floors cut out and inner frame rail POR15

(^ - yeah, its dusty)

POR15 Inside the rear frame rail

(I used the spray gun that came with the U-Pol raptor liner kit and attached the 3M Rust Fighter-I Application Wand)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Brett, Congratulations on your MJOTM selection!

Your truck is one of those that is in the running process of coming together, and boy is it coming together great. Just take one look at your thread and you can see the amount of members following along, and taking in every step you take. If they have any questions you are more than happy to lend some advice, or a point in the right direction. And this Hidden Winch design proposal? Forget about it. You have given life to an old option by refreshing it, and making it better. Yet another fine example of the little things about this club that makes it head and shoulders above the rest.

For a great truck and stand up member, congrats on your MJOTM.

Rob :cheers:

I would like to thank the 'Club for the opportunity to be a part of MJOTM. It is such an honor to be a part of the 'elite' group of MJ's. Thanks!

Yeah, I know I am slow :rotfl2: Luckily I am not under a huge time constraint to get it done, so I can take my time. Thank you for all the kind words as I continue this build. I desperately want to sit behind the steering wheel and drive it.

Thanks for posting everythng you have on this build. The detail shown is amazing! We deserved and I can't wait to see this thing finished.

Thank you! The detail isn't just for your viewing pleasure.... it's so I can remember what I did :nuts:

Awesome build :bowdown: I wish I had the room to do something like this to my MJ. :cheers:

Thanks. Most of the build has taken place in an old decrepit dirt floor barn :ack:

Congratulations and well deserved. A great inspiration to me and I imagine everyone who has tracked your build. Thanks for the attention to detail. I hope to see it in person someday when I visit family back in KC. (parents are in Shawnee).

Buck.

• 2 weeks later...

Damn you Brett, now you have me thinking of the 97+ front end again. Your 92 looks so nice with it, I'll just have to find a donor now. With a chrome grill of course. :D You're bringing this beauty back the right way with the frame-off restoration, well, as close as you can get with the Unibody, and building it to last for many many more years. Fantastic job mate! :cheers:

Thank you, thank you, thank you for the comments! I am going to try and make it to the body shop this weekend to take some progress pics. I miss working on it and feel 'wrong' letting somebody else do the body work. But it is for the best :brows:

Congratulations and well deserved. A great inspiration to me and I imagine everyone who has tracked your build. Thanks for the attention to detail. I hope to see it in person someday when I visit family back in KC. (parents are in Shawnee).

Thanks. And yes, once completed (are they ever really 'done'?) you are more than welcome to check it out. Heck, even if not done you should let me know if you ever make it back in town.

Damn you Brett, now you have me thinking of the 97+ front end again. Your 92 looks so nice with it, I'll just have to find a donor now. With a chrome grill of course. :D You're bringing this beauty back the right way with the frame-off restoration, well, as close as you can get with the Unibody, and building it to last for many many more years. Fantastic job mate!

Wow, thank you Don. You know, your truck was the first MJ build I read when I joined CC. You set the standard for me, for a truck I didn't even own when I joined the 'club. It hardly seems possible than I could have any emotional influence on you and your truck. On a more serious note, I gave a CHROME grill serious thought, but I have decided to get the grill/bezels painted the same silver as the 'Jeep' sticker on the tailgate. I think it will flow with my style a bit better.

I have already talked with my insurance company about my insuring options with this truck. Expect the unexpected if you will. Everything I do will be covered 100% and it won't cost much more than my Rubi :clapping:

I am so anxious to drive the truck out to Colorado for a week and do some camping and some wheeling.

• 2 weeks later...

As May come to an end I wanted to give one last "Thank You" to the 'club and its members. Talked to the body shop guy today and got news that the driver side floor is done and the new rockers and cab corners are being fitted in place.

I will continue to keep my build thread updated for those who want to see the fruition of my work.

jamminz.gif

• kryptronic unpinned and featured this topic