Project 1999MJ

why the giant gas tank in the bed?

When I did the 99 cherokee engine swap I wanted to keep the Cherokee fuel tank and the stock fuel pump. The cherokee filler neck location isn't the same as the comanche is so I decided to just mount it in the bed and I am building an enclosure over the tank which will house 2 air tanks as well and a storage compartment for tow straps and some tools. The stock filler door on the bed will have air fitting located behind it so I can run so air tools or just air back up after wheelin

sounds clean.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I am not a huge fan of your round lights on the side.

However I really like the bed bob job.

If you had a very nice rear bumper, tubular in nature that wrapped around under your rear bob job up to your wheels that would look great.

If I were you I'd consider getting a fuel cell instead of that factory tank in the bed. I did alot of asking on here to find out if guys were interested in replacement fuel tanks, but decided it was probably best to just purchase fuel cells that are already avaliable.

You should put one in like the one that Mudzilla put in that 1992 that he is working on.

If you were closer to me I'd offer you a really good price on a sprayed in bedliner from my company. If you want to make the drive down here from NJ I guess that is really not that far.

When you had the bed cut apart, did you take the time to coat the crap out of the inner bed sides up in the wheel wells where these vehicle rust out real bad?? You would have had the best opportunity in the world to do that at that time.

I am not a huge fan of your round lights on the side.

However I really like the bed bob job.

If you had a very nice rear bumper, tubular in nature that wrapped around under your rear bob job up to your wheels that would look great.

If I were you I'd consider getting a fuel cell instead of that factory tank in the bed. I did alot of asking on here to find out if guys were interested in replacement fuel tanks, but decided it was probably best to just purchase fuel cells that are already avaliable.

You should put one in like the one that Mudzilla put in that 1992 that he is working on.

If you were closer to me I'd offer you a really good price on a sprayed in bedliner from my company. If you want to make the drive down here from NJ I guess that is really not that far.

When you had the bed cut apart, did you take the time to coat the crap out of the inner bed sides up in the wheel wells where these vehicle rust out real bad?? You would have had the best opportunity in the world to do that at that time.

Yeah I'm not a huge fan of the round lights either but you need side markers to pass DMV inspection in NJ( That was when I was worried about passing) Now they are there I am just leaving them in.

Fuel tank is fine right where it is. Fuell cell is the last of my concerns right now but maybe some time in the future.

Thanks for the offer on the bed lining but I don't need it. It's lined already

Today I got a good deal on a 14 bolf ff out of a cab and chassi chevy. A buddy of mine had it from an old project he never finished. The C&C rears are 62" wms to wms which is what I was looking for since I don't want to go full width. This will work out to be just about 1" over stock on each side. It's got a detroit and 5.13's. picked it up for $500.00. Just have to get the rear disc kit and move the perches a little and some shaving of the housing and I'll be set. I'll get some pictures up as soon as I get it installed

• 2 weeks later...
why did you bob a shortbed? iam not bein a jerk but it looks kinda weird

Because it wasn't short enough. I wanted a better departure angle. I wasn't going to do it at first but after seeing it all done It's growing on me. It really doesn't look that bad in person. I'll try and get some better shots of it once I get the rear in it and the 38's on it

hey, i live in bloomingdale, and the truck is coming out insane..i had a comanche bout 6 mos ago, sold it for a yota but blew the engine on my first wheeling trip..ended up getting a junk truck threw that motor in only to find out it has a blown head gasket....i put my comanche through hell and it always came through,,,i don't know if ur familiar with jefferson but i was across from fairy tail forest, and in the back where the huge mud/lake is..comanche went through there with flying colors numerious times, and only got half way through it with the toyota and got water in the intake. so know I'm getting my foot back in the door with a real truck and will hopefully have another comanche soon..can't wait to see this rig done!

is that what rear axles look like with no brakes on them? or is that one just weird?

i've never seen one with no brakes on it. :oops:

and to iroc89al3 hahaha, that's what ya get man! jeeps> nutkick.gif

honestly if i had to get another TRUCK, it'd be a yota, prolly a deisel hilux or somethin like that. those are sweet jamminz.gif

• 3 weeks later...

WHAT THE FOCK OVER :mad:

never thought id say this (specialy since i layed my , at the time brandnew 05 rubicon unlimited on its side twice ! wheelin with only 2k on the ticker the day i got done detailing it ) but don't put 39 0n that its to nice that should get a nice set of 33s or the like and a nice paint job and be a sweet DD / trail tamer not a glorified show truck with 22in lift and big stupid tires (I'm going to hell for that) that gets pavement pounding duties if its lucky. why don't u just get it over with and put some spinners on it/body kit including a wing and some neon lights under it and call it done.

if I'm wrong great then post the picks pleas.!

WHAT THE FOCK OVER :mad:

never thought id say this (specialy since i layed my , at the time brandnew 05 rubicon unlimited on its side twice ! wheelin with only 2k on the ticker the day i got done detailing it ) but don't put 39 0n that its to nice that should get a nice set of 33s or the like and a nice paint job and be a sweet DD / trail tamer not a glorified show truck with 22in lift and big stupid tires (I'm going to hell for that) that gets pavement pounding duties if its lucky. why don't u just get it over with and put some spinners on it/body kit including a wing and some neon lights under it and call it done.

if I'm wrong great then post the picks pleas.!

May I be the first to say, what the hoof?

Did you see all the work he put into this? There's nothing wrong with big tires, as long as you keep your CoG low, and he's swapped in different axles, so he has the stability. The tail lights are set up to never snag on a tree, and the bed is bobbed to have a killer departure angle.

This is one hell of a truck!

1999MJ, keep up the amazing work!