Project 1999MJ

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did the 1999 mirrors bolt right onto the '88 doors when you did the conversion?

Yep. They bolted right up

Would the newer doors bolt up?

No. I believe the hinges are the same, but the striker and latch systems are completely different. Eventually, My doors will get upgraded to complete the look of a 98 MJ. Not sure if Brian is going to upgrade his doors or not though.

No. I believe the hinges are the same, but the striker and latch systems are completely different.

Unless I'm missing something here that the XJ and MJ doors are not the same, they do bolt up and fit mine.

A guy in our local club has a set of '98 doors on his '88 and they were a direct swap. They are hard to see in this photo, but you can tell by the logo on the door.

100_1322.JPG

last I checked, the latches were different. Maybe it will work the same, but have a little "looseness" to it... I dunno, I've always been told they are not a direct swap, and I know the MJ and early XJ strikers were the bolt style, whereas the newer XJ style is the doubled sheetmetal loop thing that attaches with 2 nuts and bolts.

I guess if they have the same position, it should technically work.

the striker plate on the 98 style is in a different location and styled differently. it's only off by like 1" or so so it is probably so easy to adapt that your local jeeper just said "yeah, its direct swap". and he's right, it is. you have to modify only 1 thing to get it done. the rest is identical.

the striker plate on the 98 style is in a different location and styled differently. it's only off by like 1" or so so it is probably so easy to adapt that your local jeeper just said "yeah, its direct swap". and he's right, it is. you have to modify only 1 thing to get it done. the rest is identical.

I helped him do it. We didn't touch a thing besides the 3 bolts on each door hinge....

Additionally their is no play what so ever in the doors. They shut and hold fine.

how far off are the measurements on it? did you center the doors perfectly?

I only ask because my measurements show that it won't work as bolton with the striker, and everyone's door swap thread shows it won't work as well.

please enlighten us, cause I'm thinkin of the swap so if it's so easy, I'm game!

I helped him do it. We didn't touch a thing besides the 3 bolts on each door hinge....

Additionally their is no play what so ever in the doors. They shut and hold fine.

I'm sorry but that's physically impossible. There is a huge difference with the strikers. We all know what Comanche strikers look like, this is what 97+ XJ ones look like.

The only reason I know this is because I put 1998 doors on my 1990 and had to change the striker to the new hoop design. All you have to do is undo the old striker and run a bolt through the top hole of the new striker into the existing hole. A trick taught to many by Kejtar on NAXJA. I'm not saying you're incorrect, but your buddy must've been hiding some info from you because it is not a direct swap. Something had to have been changed.

Did the 1999 mirrors bolt right onto the '88 doors when you did the conversion?

Yep. They bolted right up

No. I believe the hinges are the same, but the striker and latch systems are completely different. Eventually, My doors will get upgraded to complete the look of a 98 MJ. Not sure if Brian is going to upgrade his doors or not though.

I just got a set of 99 doors and will be swaping them real soon but just as everyone else has said it is not a direct bolt on. Yes the 88 hinges will bolt to the 99 door but the striker in the door jam on the 88 has to be changed to the 99 style.

Sweet. jamminz.gif

Eventualy I will have a 99 MJ also. My plan is to swap everything out of it into the MJ. Drivetrain, interior, doors, front clip. Everything possible. The 99XJ is my DD right now but it has some frame damage front and rear. Once i find another DD i'll begin the swap. Thanks for all the great info.

Ben

I finally got some progress done on mine, after a few months of letting the '97 XJ donor and '86/'87 MJ set out in the weather. That was a slight mistake, as now some of the exposed plugs on the '97 XJ are corroded and/or rusted, and the computer appears to be rusting slightly as well. I'll be transferring everything here very soon...

I got almost everything removed from the MJ engine bay, discluding the slave clutch filler, old-style power steering fluid mounting bracket, and driver-side engine mount. Got it partly primed, but I need to sand down some spots and re-prime after I get the rest of the parts removed. Should have that all done sometime tomorrow, then I'll be removing the pedal assembly on the inside, as well as the speedometer cable. Then I'll be ready to start removing the dash from the XJ.

Here's a pic of the MJ's engine bay right now:

Dsc01472-small.jpg

great lakes.. they changed the XJ emblem on the side in 96 without making any changes to the door... i think those are 96 doors

Not to mention those Emblems are peel and stick:

1001011ya9.jpg

(my XJ with same emblems only painted black before I applied them)

• 4 months later...

been a while since I updated this. Since I got most of the 88 Chief done and back together(for now) I can start working on the 99mj again. Started to swap out the doors for the 99power doors and tighten up a couple loose ends with the interrior and wiring.

Still have the entire front suspension to do but I have decided to go with coil overs. Just waiting to sell my Grand Cherokee for some extra loot to ge them ordered. I also will be ordering a custon front dana60 housing from Soild with the billet inner knuckles and Using the stock chevy 60 outers and brake set up I have laying around. I have the 35 splind detroit and just need to get some shafts made and order the 5.13's . I'll try and get some pictures up soon.

I really like the tail lights!! Nice and clean!

What did you end up doing for rev lights?

CW

Haven't got that far yet but I just ploan on doing some ovel or 4" round bacccck up LED's in the rear bumper

• 4 months later...

I know this comment is old, but it relates to the doors.

If you want to use the 97+ doors then you either need to change the strikers as already noted, or use the older latches(to work with the older strikers)

The 97+ latches have the power lock built in, where the older style do not.

• 11 months later...

Yeah, That is a real slick looking build. I look to to the front end swap on mine. It is too bad they didnt make the MJ in 99 so we didnt have to do all this work. Again nice ride.

• 3 years later...

I am not a huge fan of your round lights on the side.

However I really like the bed bob job.

If you had a very nice rear bumper, tubular in nature that wrapped around under your rear bob job up to your wheels that would look great.

If I were you I'd consider getting a fuel cell instead of that factory tank in the bed. I did alot of asking on here to find out if guys were interested in replacement fuel tanks, but decided it was probably best to just purchase fuel cells that are already avaliable.

You should put one in like the one that Mudzilla put in that 1992 that he is working on.

If you were closer to me I'd offer you a really good price on a sprayed in bedliner from my company. If you want to make the drive down here from NJ I guess that is really not that far.

When you had the bed cut apart, did you take the time to coat the crap out of the inner bed sides up in the wheel wells where these vehicle rust out real bad?? You would have had the best opportunity in the world to do that at that time.

Hey I sent you a PM

& I love the chop & thats one awesome truck