Project 1999MJ

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got couple pictures from inside by the b-pillers and a couple of under the dash where I mounted the fues pannel and wiring

479208_211_full.jpg

479208_215_full.jpg

479208_214_full.jpg

Here's the 14 bolt with the disc brakes on and the ruff stuff diff cover installed

479208_212_full.jpg

479208_213_full.jpg

holy craaaaaap thats a monster!

you might have said it before...but what are the specs on the tires?

These are 39x15x16.5 Micky Thompson's. I'm just using these for rollers untill I get the cash together for some New Iroks inneither a 39 or a 41

Hey 1999MJ I've got a couple more questions for you. I think they might be for the good of the group too. I'm planning to start this swap to my 1990 XJ in the next couple weeks. Really confused as to why I'm doing this to my XJ when I could just go buy a new one, but I just want to. I got the steering column from the junkyard on Friday already so now I have to go back and pull the dash. Anywho here's the questions...

1. I don't have a welder, is it possible to do everything without one? Or is it atleast possible to get it to where it'll drive without one?

2. I've got a 99+ intake on my 90 engine. Is there any reason I couldn't run my current engine with the new wiring, beside from maybe fuel injectors? I know my transmission will have to be changed because of the speed sensor or whatever but I think I can keep my current engine.

3. Did you have any problems with the wiring? Is it something you think an 18 year old kid could do without much problem? I have a multimeter and some very basic knowledge of wiring...am I going to run into problems ya think?

4. For the steering column mounting you said you had to do some welding. I couldn't find anyplace where you'd have to because it only mounts to the dash in 4 places...can you elaborate on that a little more?

Thanks a ton,

Collin

Hey 1999MJ I've got a couple more questions for you. I think they might be for the good of the group too. I'm planning to start this swap to my 1990 XJ in the next couple weeks. Really confused as to why I'm doing this to my XJ when I could just go buy a new one, but I just want to. I got the steering column from the junkyard on Friday already so now I have to go back and pull the dash. Anywho here's the questions...

1. I don't have a welder, is it possible to do everything without one? Or is it atleast possible to get it to where it'll drive without one?

2. I've got a 99+ intake on my 90 engine. Is there any reason I couldn't run my current engine with the new wiring, beside from maybe fuel injectors? I know my transmission will have to be changed because of the speed sensor or whatever but I think I can keep my current engine.

3. Did you have any problems with the wiring? Is it something you think an 18 year old kid could do without much problem? I have a multimeter and some very basic knowledge of wiring...am I going to run into problems ya think?

4. For the steering column mounting you said you had to do some welding. I couldn't find anyplace where you'd have to because it only mounts to the dash in 4 places...can you elaborate on that a little more?

Thanks a ton,

Collin

Answers to your questions.

1) No, you are going to need a welder to do this. There's no way around it you have to make new mounts and weld them in right at the base of the windshield inside the truck because the mounting locations for the top of the dash are a couple inches diferend between the 2 years and the column mount needs to be changed.

2) I'm not 100% sure on that. you may need a couple more things off the 99 engine like sensors and throtle body,fuel rail and what not

3) I had no problems at all with the wiring. Each plug and connector only has one place it can go. If you use the entire wiring from the 99 you should be able to do it without a problem but I recoment getting an entire doner vehical so you can put the 2 side by side and just transfer each piece over to your 90 or just take pictures of how everything goes so you have some kind of reference.

4) The steering column mount...This is where the welder comes in to play. The 1st get style column mounts totally diferent then the 97 and New XJ When you remove the dash from both take a look at them. The column mount is spot welded to the fire wall in a couple places. Your going to have to drill these spot welds out and remove the column mounts from both trucks. Then yor going to have to measure and situtate the 97+ column mount in the correct location so it aligns with the opening in the dash.

What I will try and do for any one who is thinking about doing the swap or has already started and is stumped... When I get some time I will remove the dash from my truck and take some pictures of how and where I mounted everything so it will give you a little better Idea as to where everything goes. Will that help. I have has thet thing in and out so damn much it should take me no time at all to get it out. But give me a little time to do this. I have been getting real busy with work and will try and do it in my spare time :nuts:

Ya I'm a tard sorry. When I went back to the junkyard today I got the dash most of the way out and realized the steering column support isn't part of the dash, I thought it was. I figured when you swapped the dash over the mount went with it, sorry for that dumb question. But I have yet another...where all does the dash itself mount? I found the two pivot points behind the kick panels, the 5 or 6 along the windshield, and the heater box studs through the firewall. Is that and a slew of wiring to be unplugged all there is to pulling the dash itself, do you remember? Once again, I thank you for your knowledge.

-Collin

Not a problem. There are the bolts under the kick pannels on each side. The ones along the top of the dash and there are also 2 more right under the dash hidden behind the front portion of the console that bolt to the trans tunnel and it should slip right out

Not a problem. There are the bolts under the kick pannels on each side. The ones along the top of the dash and there are also 2 more right under the dash hidden behind the front portion of the console that bolt to the trans tunnel and it should slip right out

Got the dash itself out today thanks to your help man. I tell ya what once you get the "face" off you can really see all the support systems and such. Looks like it's going to a challenge to get the whole duct system out though. I see 5 studs going through the firewall, do you remember what else holds it in?

Got the dash itself out today thanks to your help man. I tell ya what once you get the "face" off you can really see all the support systems and such. Looks like it's going to a challenge to get the whole duct system out though. I see 5 studs going through the firewall, do you remember what else holds it in?

I believe that's it as far as the AC/heater box goes. Remove those studs and it pulls right out

So I got everything out of the 99 today. I'm hoping since I have everything apart I can just take pictures of stuff so you don't have to rip yours back apart. Are these the two brackets I'm going to have to drill new holes for and/or weld? Are any of the mounting points for these there already?

This hole must also have to be drilled for the wiring harness eh?

And anyone else who has questions let me know. I have the dash completely separated right now; so if you have any picture requests... I can hopefully take care of ya.

Thanks,

Collin

Dang, that was quick! Congrats on getting everything removed; I'm now in the process of removing the new dash, as I just pulled the old air box out and have everything removed from the Comanche, ready to install all the new parts (discluding the new mounts for the dash and steering wheel column). Also got the motor and tranny out so I can get to everything easier.

I'll get some pics of what it looks like with everything out, as well as the studs for the air box (didn't know there was washers on the back-side of them, hehe). Would be great to see some pics of the new dash and wiring and how everything is layed out when removed. :popcorn:

Dang, that was quick! Congrats on getting everything removed; I'm now in the process of removing the new dash, as I just pulled the old air box out and have everything removed from the Comanche, ready to install all the new parts (discluding the new mounts for the dash and steering wheel column). Also got the motor and tranny out so I can get to everything easier.

I'll get some pics of what it looks like with everything out, as well as the studs for the air box (didn't know there was washers on the back-side of them, hehe). Would be great to see some pics of the new dash and wiring and how everything is layed out when removed. :popcorn:

Well yeah since it was in a muddy junkyard and we were getting rain frequently I tried to haul ars getting it out. I guess it really only took me 4 probably 3 hour days to pull the whole dash and entire wiring harness, so not too bad. Here's a few pics of the back of the dash. I will be bringing the heater box inside out of the Heep tonight so hopefully I can get some shots of that if needbe.

As I said if anyone else needs pics let me know. I figure since 1999MJ has been so much help to us we can help him by taking pics so he doesn't have to.

So I got everything out of the 99 today. I'm hoping since I have everything apart I can just take pictures of stuff so you don't have to rip yours back apart. Are these the two brackets I'm going to have to drill new holes for and/or weld? Are any of the mounting points for these there already?

There are no mounting pointd for any of these at all. There is one more piece your going to need to mount all that stuff. There is a metal (almost like sheet metal) bracket that is spot welded to the inside of the fire wall with studs on it that the big alluminum dash and column support bolt to. You can kind of se it in the top of this picture... It wraps onder the dash....Your going to need that also

This hole must also have to be drilled for the wiring harness eh?

Yeah your going to need to do a new hole here. A hole saw will take care if it

And anyone else who has questions let me know. I have the dash completely separated right now; so if you have any picture requests... I can hopefully take care of ya.

Thanks,

Collin

Nice job on getting that all out jamminz.gif

So in my minagerie of typing you probably didn't catch my question but...are any of the holes similar on either the TCU bracket or steering column mount? Also that hole up by the blower motor has to be drilled right? Thanks again. :popcorn:

read under each picture. I threw a comment or 2 in there :cheers:

I'm a jackass, sorry I missed those. Well it sounds like it may be more of a PITA than I thought then, but I think it will still be worth it. I'll go back with a drill next week and see what I can figure out. Thanks.

Brought my 98 XJ home yesterday, gutted it yesterday and today, just down to stuff under the hood, and the axles. Front axle has a very noticeable bend to it from it's 40mph accident. I think it will only be good for calipers, stub shafts, nd not much more.

Only things left in the interior to do are getting a few brackets out, heater box, and the rear doors, hatch, and sunroof.

I'd say for the 12hrs total I have spent so far, the gutting is coming along very nicely.

Anything I should watch out for that I have not gotten to yet?

• 3 weeks later...

like 25 total spot welds to drill out on that steering column bracket... Its the last thing to pull besides the hood. I got the other 2 brackets off, and the drill bit needs a good sharpening/replacement if its going to get through another hole.

I'll start pulling all the stuff from the MJ probably next weekend. It will all be donated to a small buggy project.

With all the 10yr upgrade cherokees, mine will be at most, minimally different, so I'll just do some before and after shots.

I did cut the section of roof, behind the rear seats, alont with the window, and hatch off the XJ I have, and that is going to be a little project to "extend" cab space in the MJ. Essentially, I will finish it off fairly nicely, so that it will bolt to the bed of the comanche, and tightly seal against the cab with regular door weatherstripping around the edges. This way, I can either leave the cab's sliding window open, or take the window out completely for a bit more "in cab" space. it will allow for regular use of the bed under where it will mount, so long as I can hack the xj fuel pump into the mj's tank. Otherwise, I will figure out how to get the xj tank under the bed, behind the rear axle in the spare tires area.

• 1 month later...