What would you do?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• Rebuild as Renix, with 5-speed
    • Rebuild as Renix, convert to AW-4
    • Convert truck to 4.0L automatic
    • Convert to MPFI 2.5L engine
    • Other (please explain)

I have a 1988 MJ SWB with a 2.5L engine and 4-speed manual tranny, in 2WD. The internal slave ruptured, so it has not been driven for a couple of years, and the engine has 208,000 miles on it. I would like to get it back on the road this summer, but with a change to 4WD. I have some options -- enough to have me unable to decide which route to go.

1. I could rebuild the 2.5L, keep it as a Renix, and swap in a 5-speed AX-5 with transfer case to make it 4WD.

2. I also have the parts to convert the 2.5L to an AW-4 automatic in 4WD.

3. I have a 100,000 mile 1987 4.0L AW-4 4WD drive train I can swap in from a complete XJ donor vehicle.

4. I have a '95 YJ 2.5L engine and 3-speed auto with the MPFI parts on the engine, but no wiring harness or computer. I could get the missing stuff from a junk yard and upgrade to the newer 2.5L setup.

I'm not looking for a heavy-duty off-road beast (I have an old XJ for that), and I'm not looking for a street rocket. Gasoline will top $4/gallon by the end of this week (a couple of local stations are already above $4). I'm looking for a reliable and economical MJ to replace my '88 XJ as a daily driver.

What would you lads do?

polls arn workin so i my as well post.

id keep it renix 2.5L and convert to the 5 speed.

i say this becasue the 2.5 is there as is the wiering harness and automatics suck.

also you want good on gas so the 2.5 would be better if you had proper gears.

just my 2 cents.

If I were building a fuel-wise MJ, I would have to add an option to your layout.

Find a MFPI 2.5L XJ, and swap the entire drivetrain in. Bonus if you can do it from a '96 for OBDII abilities. Have the somewhat better mileage of the 4 cyl, the bonus of Multiport, the help of OBDII for troubleshooting, an AX5 (hopefully), the 231, and a stout runner.

I had the chance to do that, but the member who's shell I was buying bailed, and I let the '96 XJ go after stealing the axles for my MJ.

Rob L. :cheers:

Option 3, but thats just me I guess.

I have never dabbled too much with the 4 cyl world cause I was always happy with the mileage I pull from the Renix 4.0L setups.

If you go this route, you'd also have 4.10 gears (assume) under your 4.0L drive-line. Not the best for gas.

If you go this route, you'd also have 4.10 gears (assume) under your 4.0L drive-line. Not the best for gas.

Truck's originally a 4 speed. It should have 3.55.

And it does. I have 3.73 axles available to swap in, but not 4.10s.

And it ain't gettin' a lift. This is going to be a daily driver.

I'm looking for a reliable and economical MJ to replace my '88 XJ as a daily driver.

What would you lads do?

Option 5! :shake: I'd keep it the way it is, just repair the clutch slave, You'd get the best mpg out of the setup you have already, 2wd and the 2.5l...less drive train % loss to the tires. and during winter conditions, get the xj out driving.

If I were building a fuel-wise MJ, I would have to add an option to your layout.

Find a MFPI 2.5L XJ, and swap the entire drivetrain in. Bonus if you can do it from a '96 for OBDII abilities. Have the somewhat better mileage of the 4 cyl, the bonus of Multiport, the help of OBDII for troubleshooting, an AX5 (hopefully), the 231, and a stout runner.

I had the chance to do that, but the member who's shell I was buying bailed, and I let the '96 XJ go after stealing the axles for my MJ.

Rob L. :cheers:

I agree with Rob, or go with option # 4