• Snapped pinion shaft
    • Busted off teeth
    • Wore out gears
    • Detonated a bearing
    • Ubolts broke and axle jumped ship
    • Looked at it wrong
    • Other
    • Haven't broken one

Since we all know the D35s are junk, it'd be interesting to see what the most common fail point in them really is. Feel free to elaborate an interesting story. :clapping:

Only one I've killed was behind my only 2.5. All the ones behind my 4.0s survived my abuse. :nuts:

I'm one of the very few that can admit to a 2.5 breaking not only a D35, but also an AX5. This story is the reason I don't know what ratio Baby has. I was on my way to the at the time girlfriend's house and came up on a corner; went to downshift into 3rd, and had a mental lapse, accidentally slamming it into 1st. As soon as I let off the clutch, that was all she wrote, the dreaded big bang in the rear. It sat out at the girlfriend's place for almost a week before I could get it home, and in the meantime, a friend had bought an XJ to take the motor out of. So, once I got Baby over to my friend's place, I took the cover off Baby (not remembering there's actually fluid in a diff. :doh: ) and it only took one look to realize why she wasn't going anywhere. The spiders decided to multiply like rabbits, as there was probably a good 20 pieces of them on the bottom. We took the entire assembly out of the XJ and swapped it into Baby, and to this day, them 4wd/4.0/BA10-5 gears are going strong in a 2wd/2.5/AX5. Even though the trans is now essentially shot, but that's anouther story altogether. :D

I have yet to have my D35 come apart, and through my whole water in fuel replace a bunch of random parts getting place ordeal that D35 got abused hard core . . .

:cheers: to the bullet proff D35 :cheers:

ya know every body's going to post how they hate it'll be the stand out and support it . . . tho i would rather have an

:bowdown: AMC-20 jamminz.gif 4.44 gears :banana: T-5 image_209027.gif AMC-V8 ;)

But 2.5 AX-4 3.73 d35 works for now 8)

Mike

You should have put another option... Havent broken it yet

That way I would get to see the results without throwing the survey off. I guess I could choose other, but that would mean Ive destroyed one, which I havent. I WANNA SEE THE RESULTS TOO!!!! :( :rant: :headpop: :fs1: :mad: :???: :dunno: :pcwhack: :hate banana: :grrrr: :fs2:

:yes:

I was out cruising back roads with a couple buddy's at 2am in my old XJ. Burning my tires thru a crossroad and caught some dry pavement, BAM!! barely limped it to my parents house. Then i had to ride my motorcycle to work for a week until i could get parts. The one morning it was 0 out when left on that bike. This taught me a valuable lesson, have spare parts, or at least a spare ride.

skinny pedal, 33" tires, and a hard rocky climb. What a terrible axle, it only lasted 250,000 miles :eek: The GF was driving and just couldn't make it, so I told her to apply the right pedal. Swapped in a welded 35 carrier and beat on it even harder and never broke it.

8fe7wbt.jpg

That's true, but back then I was 18 in knew it all. A truck load of beer drinking guys thought it was a good idea.

I'd be lying if I said I didn't exercise some of that same "wisdom" at a younger age as well :oops:

Jeff

Well, I can safely say the D35 is plenty strong, tho most say the 2.5 is a pooch or a dog, then they must be running the wrong set up behind it.

My 2.5 is a strong quick truck ...

Maybe its the AX-4 and 3.73s making it go but 0-75mph it screams . . .

Right now I got 1,200lbs in the bed and I put on some 235 MT's and it walks right up to 55mph smoothly and quickly . . .

I'm plenty happy with my truck !

Mike

I've broken two of them (well, really the same one twice), and had yoke issues on another.

The spiders were first,

after wheeling the D35 with 29"AT's, 32" AT's, 31" Swampers, and 31" GY MT's it never gave me a problem.

As my daily driver, I went to go pick up some wheeling pictures at the drug store (remember having to do that? :D )

Wellllll......... they exposed them, and poof, a weekend of cool pics were gone. :headpop:

I got in my (4.0L/5spd) Cherokee (on the 31" GY MT's), nailed the gas, dumped the clutch (out of pure stupidity & anger), and did not move one inch. :rotf:

Spiders turned to powder. :(

Shifted into 4wd (front wheel drive now), drove home, and swapped spiders out of the spare 35 I had tucked away (both 1985 3.73 D35's).

After thoroughly cleaned the bits out of the housing.

Another time, I'm not even sure what happened, but I heard clump clump clump................clump clump clump................clump clump clump, as I was driving to work.

When I got home (work was literally 'up the street'), I pulled the cover, and noticed the shiny oil right away (tiny chunks of metal).

Took a little longer to see the 3, or 4 missing ring gear teeth. :ack:

This was 3, or 4 years after the spider issue, so I'm not sure they were related.

I swapped the spare 35 in, and tossed the broken one where all 35's end up eventually. :D

When I built the next Jeep, I skipped over the 44, and went right for a 60 rear. :thumbsup:

When I bought my truck the D35 had lasted 21 years and 126,000 miles. I then drove it on 29" tires, wheeled it stock that summer, lifted it, wheeled it again that fall, wheeled it once again in March, upped to 33" tires and took it off road April, May, June, and August. August I bent my drive shaft. Then with the bent drive shaft I wheeled it three more times and put over 1000 more miles on it (at 142,000 now) when I tossed the D35 because the pinion bearings were shot. Shaft now had 1/4" play, which caused the seal to leak oil and the teeth to start grinding. All caused by a bent drive shaft.

Installed a 29 spline 8.25", but the D35 is still in my driveway as a back up in case of emergency.

Gas mileage isn't what it used to be because of the larger tires, so I don't drive it all that much any more. Still take it wheeling on average more than once a month, though.

starting spitting out ring gear teeth on the way to work. turned out to be slightly bent too, but we don't know if the bend caused the teeth to go or if mye continuing to drive that last mile caused the housing to give. :yes: 4.0/2wd/stick/30" tires

Looks as tho, the D35 is not as bad as most say it is . . . it's a coin toss axle i'm guessing some last forever other blow up and or come apart continually . . .

I must be one of the lucky guys i have an Awesome D35 and a junk truck :fs1:

Mike

It's a light duty axle, plain and simple. And for most of us, it's an old light duty axle which exacerbates potential problems. There's plenty that can (and does) go wrong. It's true that there are a gazillion of them out there, still going "strong", but it's the failures that happen for seemingly no particular reason that scare me the most. :ack: