Driving a Stick

ComancheMan7893

for starting if you "peeling" out than you need to lower your rpms a little bit before releasing the clutch. and when you do release the clutch do it semi slowly and smoothly not just one big drop because that can make you spin to. for stopping make sure your pressing the clutch in or no matter what ya do you gunna stall.

anyway good luck and tell us how ya do.

You need to get your foot off the gas completely and learn where the friction point is. Once you are releasing the clutch, let it out slowly until you feel the engine start to catch - this is the firction point. Too fast past the friction point and the car will stall OR peel out.

You should be able to start in first without any accelerator at all.

Big parking lots or open fields is how I've learned to ride or drive everything in my life .

Find a empty parking lot and use the lines to pick starting and stopping points .

Do it over and over until your completely confident in your skills .

Then raise the bar , try to get the truck off the line as fast as you can without spinning the tires or stalling the truck .

Most importantly , see how fast you can get the truck to stop without locking the brakes or going over a stopping line .

Do this enough and you'll be able to safely drive yourself through the hell storm we call Rush hour traffic .

Having a full understanding of what that vehicle can and cannot do .

My Dad taught me to ride bikes , motorcycles and cars this way and now I am teaching my sons .

Call it extreme , but some defensive driving courses use some of the same tests .

the best thing you can do is just work with the clutch. find that point and keep finding practice letting it out to that point it will just come second nature after a bit of that. don't get frustrated. it will come

Never take driving lessons from a parent. Friends, relatives, cousins, uncles, aunts, strangers but never a parent.

My dad did an excellent job teaching me how to drive a stick. :dunno:

Best way to find the catch point is to start out on a slight upward hill. A little harder on the clutch, but you'll learn a lot faster.

Never take driving lessons from a parent. Friends, relatives, cousins, uncles, aunts, strangers but never a parent.

My dad did an excellent job teaching me how to drive a stick. :dunno:

So did my mom. :dunno:

You have the basics, now go out to a large open area, or a place with little to no traffic and drive by yourself till you get the feel of it without making yourself look stupid. A patient person to get you going always helps too. Youll just have to get the feel of it and then youll be fine.

First of all, don't sweat it. Everyone goes through this. It is the yelling that is shaking you up. Not the clutch. I never had anyone help me. I learned on my own. If they did, I think I would have been in the same situation you are today. I would have been intimidated by someone barking or laughing at me.

I don't know why this helped me but it did. I sat in the car with the engine off, running through the gears in order to make sure I knew where each of them were. To go from second to third for example, I always wanted to go up, then right, then up again. That always kept me from finding third (Gearboxes actually work diagonal from 2nd to third, rather than up, then right, then up again). I should point out that to me, 5th feels like it is up, to the right, then up, unlike going from 2nd to 3rd.

From there, I practiced clutching while I shifted with the engine off. There is a certain way I use my left foot on the clutch so it doesnt jerk but I am sure it is different for everyone. But I think you need to learn to keep your heal on the floor somehow when you let up on the clutch. Practice releasing the clutch slowly with the engine off with your other foot slowing accelerating on the gas.

Then go to a deserted county road and stay out of the McDonalds drive through for awhile.

At takeoff, I had a tendancy to give it a little too much clutch and too much gas causing the engine to race but that kept it from getting stalled. After a little while, I learned where that sweet spot is where the clutch lets off and the transmission takes over.

Remember after you learn what you are doing, keep the rpms under control at takeoff and after you shift, get your foot completely off the clutch. It is a pedal, not a foot rest.

Hope this helps.

Big parking lots or open fields is how I've learned to ride or drive everything in my life .

Find a empty parking lot and use the lines to pick starting and stopping points .

Do it over and over until your completely confident in your skills .

Then raise the bar , try to get the truck off the line as fast as you can without spinning the tires or stalling the truck .

Most importantly , see how fast you can get the truck to stop without locking the brakes or going over a stopping line .

Do this enough and you'll be able to safely drive yourself through the hell storm we call Rush hour traffic .

Having a full understanding of what that vehicle can and cannot do .

My Dad taught me to ride bikes , motorcycles and cars this way and now I am teaching my sons .

Call it extreme , but some defensive driving courses use some of the same tests .

Learning anything takes time and thats exactly how I learned DJM jamminz.gif lose the lead boots and put some sandals on because you don't needa pound the gas and find the friction point and SLOWLY let it go don't just let it go :thumbsup:

I taught myself, and never had a problem. I attempted to teach my daughter, but despite me being patient, she is not. I think she just needs more practice, she tells me she's never driving a stick again. If it comes to it she will have her fiancé drive instead.

That might be part of it. It is actually possible to stall the Cherokee out on take off. My F100 on the other hand (which she drove when she was 14) you could pop the clutch in second gear and it would pull through. It would lurch a few times, but never stall. Or at least after the engine had warmed up. Up until that point you'd have to adjust the choke constantly just to keep it running.

You'll get it, just takes practice. :thumbsup: Having a vehicle that isn't properly tuned or running doesn't help either. I had to learn stick pretty quickly though. When I bought my 01 XJ, I hadn't drove stick except for a couple practice sessions years earlier. Bought my jeep on a Sunday, had to drive 38 miles to work on Monday in mixed city/hi-way driving in Portland. Needless to say I learned quickly...or at least how to stall the jeep :rotfl2: I'll never go back...I hate automatics now.

Aside from the normal learning curve, those 3.07 gears aren't helping anything. :(

They might actually be helping. Driving something like the sm420 tranny in my Willys is child's play for anyone....driving an MJ with 3.07's needs finesse.

The best work I did with clutching was in the militia, using a ramp. We needed to climb up it, back halfway down, stop and hold, drive to the top and over halfway down the other side, stop and hold, reverse to the top, then drive down and off the ramp. You can't do that without learning the friction point.

For my daughter, she gets the same treatment as me from my parents....she NEEDS to take her driving test on a standard. She can do it with an automatic, but if she does, she's NEVER driving our standards. That includes the MJ. (which we bought for her).

Learn the friction point....if you learn to hold a vehicle on an incline with just the clutch, it will help immensely.

Good luck...we were all there once. :banana:

I showed both of my boys how to drive a stick by counting. 1.2.3. from the time the clutch pedal left the floor to all the way released for starting. and counting 1.2. for switching gears.

you also do not need to push the clutch all the way to the floor while switching gears, just a little past the friction point will work.

have some one who knows how to drive a stick drive it for you while you listen to the sound of the motor. then try to match the sound while you drive.

After doing the empty parking lot practice of starting and stoping in a strait line. practice the starting and stopping while doing sharp turns. :smart: