1990 Jeep Comanche Truck Convertible Project

-600JeepMJ

By cutting away the B-pillar supports , that ruins the purpose of a uni -body design .

If that truck rolls or is hit , it will crumple like a pop can . If someone were to do that and drive it around , they would have to

reinforce any areas that are not load bearing , witch was the whole cab . It can be done with an internal roll cage safely .

Just not much room in the cab after its done .

So, who on here actually talks like that?

The truck, well... Hmm. I thought he did a good job of cutting it. Then he started sticking aluminum on it, which I'm not into. If he welded up the cuts properly, and did a good job on the seals, it would be a lot better.

Also, yes, it needs a cage. It could be done so it would take up a minimal amount of room, and look good. As a bonus he'd be able to weld all of the nodes properly since the roof is off... However, I see no evidence that he can weld anything, so I'm not counting on that happening.

Uggh... What a dip$#!&....

He removes structural material and replaces it with nothing...

That's gonna make it easy for the fire department to cut him out when it crushes around him...

And if you are gonna brag about removing the stickers, cause they look bad... you might want to actually remove all of them....

The only redeeming thing about it, is that he is listening to Neil Young in the third video....

I give it six months before the doors won't open or latch .

It won't sag like that. Or allow me to rephrase that, it shouldn't sag like that.

The roof is a hell of a lot less structural than people think. Roll-over, accident protection, etc, yeah, it's very important. Additional rigidity, sure. But it's not primary structure.

I give it six months before the doors won't open or latch .

It won't sag like that. Or allow me to rephrase that, it shouldn't sag like that.

The roof is a hell of a lot less structural than people think. Roll-over, accident protection, etc, yeah, it's very important. Additional rigidity, sure. But it's not primary structure.

Remember guys...this isn't a Cherokee unibody. No sag should happen here to what is basically a half-cab Cherokee. I've thought of this in the past, and if done properly, it shouldn't be a real problem.

I've seen this happen a hundred times over . Working in the body shops back in the 90"s , it was very popular

to cut and chop the crap out of the "K" class trucks . Almost every one of them eventually had some sort of problem .

I just don't see the rockers being able to handle anything other than light city driving .

I could see it being durable , but your going to have to add allot of metal . Like you guys said , it has to be caged .

Also a cage won't prevent the body from warping around the cage , just saves your @$$ when it does .

Same thing with a buddy of mine , he took his doors off his MJ in the summer . After three months of wheeling ,

here comes the snow and cold . It took us forever to get the doors to line up . Even now they will never be perfect ,

without allot more work . He swore he'd never take the doors off again , without putting them right back on .

Does not make any sense , because the doors don't save the cab from sagging , but it did . :dunno:

I have done this before myself with no problem . However I reinforced the whole cab in steel , cross braces and

support beams everywhere I could fit one .

To tell you the truth , I thought about doing a duster back on my MJ , but leaving the entire cab in tact and still

cage it out , just for good piece of mind .

Now that I've put so much in my truck , I'll never do that with this truck . Everyone has their own opinion , but thats

what I've seen to be a problem .

I have taken doors off and on a hundred times and never had a problem either . I guess its Murphy's law . :dunno:

I did that to a '70 Chevy Luv. I thot it was realy cool, but then I'm a convertable nut anyway. Everything I read up on it said the cab wouldn't need re inforcing but I did anyway. Got some thick wall 1in tubing and and made a 'U' around the doors. Then ran a brace around the back of the cab, connected to the rear top of the 'U'. Started to do the same at the front of the 'U' running a brace under the dash but decided that wouldn't be neccesary, It was great on a nice day but boy did that sucker leak when it rained. But then Luv's were cab on frame. Not unibody.

Seems like a waste to me.... where is this truck going to be when douchebag losses interest in it? Nobody else is going to want an MJ like that for daily use, and like previous poster said, if he does have a cover for it in the rain it will leak like a mother because it is a homemade job..... just a waste of a perfectly good MJ!

Am I the only one who thinks that the guy needs to say "Which way did he go george, which way did he go?"

That voice kills me.

And the fact that it looks like he's cutting up a rust free truck. :fs1:

Rob L.

he specificly says "no rust" and he bought it for 500, AND FU#$%G DESTROYED IT soapbox.gif

am i the only one who now wants to road trip to florida and stab this jackass in the face?

sidenote, the blond in part 4 is kinda hot though.....

Someone needs to show him a document , that shows what his truck was worth , then and now ! rtft.gif

He could have made a good profit off of that sale , if he doest care about the truck .

Go buy some abundant cheap piece of sh@t , take the rest and blow it in Vegas . :fool:

Seems like a waste to me.... where is this truck going to be when douchebag losses interest in it? Nobody else is going to want an MJ like that for daily use, and like previous poster said, if he does have a cover for it in the rain it will leak like a mother because it is a homemade job..... just a waste of a perfectly good MJ!

I bet I could fix it, providing he doesn't do any more work to it.

And by 'fix' I mean make it into a convertible that was safe, and MIGHT not leak as bad as a YJ. No promises on that.

Of course, this is assuming that I had the time to complete such a project.

not sure how I feel about the convertible. Might be nice if you were a beach bum and needed something like that, but sure wouldn't be practical for up here in New Hampshire.

seems like lots of people get their MJs from poor college students. s'where I got one of mine from. I sure hope that trend doesn't continue when I go to college. I haven't the first idea what else i'd drive outside of a comanche.

ps. after watching all the other videos he has, don't agree with him on the decals, but do on the cars program.

If I were him and wanted a "beach cruiser" i'd just take the doors off and put a nice sunroof in it.

• 8 years later...

I have an MJ with this kind of conversion done to it.  I have been trying to find info about it. The cuts and molded plastic caps lead me to believe this was professionally done.

I believe I found the supplier for the kit that was used on my MJ

http://www.slidingragtops.com/Truck-Convertible-Kits.html

Out of business, but I can tell you I have owned my MJ for 10 years and have no issues with sag at the doors.

pictures?  you can't go claiming you have one of the most "80s" of 80s trucks without sharing pictures for us to drool over! :D   better yet, start yourself a build thread and share TONS of pictures of your rare bird.  :thumbsup:  

6 hours ago, AspenJerista said:

I have an MJ with this kind of conversion done to it.  I have been trying to find info about it. The cuts and molded plastic caps lead me to believe this was professionally done.

I believe I found the supplier for the kit that was used on my MJ

http://www.slidingragtops.com/Truck-Convertible-Kits.html

Out of business, but I can tell you I have owned my MJ for 10 years and have no issues with sag at the doors.

I'd be interested to see what kind of unibody reinforcement (if any) was done.  Most of the convertible trucks they show on their website are a cab on frame design which is a little more forgiving to this type of modification.  

Do you have a top for the Comanche?  I'd like to see that and how it attaches to the cab and windshield as well.