lady owner of an '86 Comanche in UK needs part info!

Hi, I am new to this site as I have just bought an 86 Jeep Comanche Custom 2.5.

I am in the UK.

I need to know what a part in my engine bay is, bearing in mind we call things by different names over this side of the pond! - The part is what I would probably call an engine damper - as you look at the engine it is down at the front left hand side and looks like an engine support, it is a kind of mount and on rubbers, mine is loose and I wanted to know if it is meant to be loose or do I need to tighten it, but I can't find what it actually is in my manual!

Once I find out what it is and whether it needs replacing, I can list in parts wanted!! (I also need a clip on my throttle housing, but I don't know what you call that either!! - Any other UK owners out there??....many thanks in advance for any advice - Tracy

It looks like a small shock absorber. Located at the front right hand side of the motor. Approx 5mm diameter, 16mm long, with the top attached to the motor and the the bottom going to a bracket bolted to the frame. It's a dampener, meant to absorb the twisting of the motor. It should be tight, No looseness.

It looks like a small shock absorber. Located at the front right hand side of the motor. Approx 5mm diameter, 16mm long, with the top attached to the motor and the the bottom going to a bracket bolted to the frame. It's a dampener, meant to absorb the twisting of the motor. It should be tight, No looseness.

That's it - You are a star, thank you!

Part number 83500358

USA Dealership network, National parts warehouse shows to have three in stock.

The part is no longer in production.

There are two US dealers showing to have them in stock as well.

So thats 5 total OEM engine shock packages still available in the US.

I'm not sure if Britan dealerships work off of the same parts network or not, but if they do you could get one from a dealer there off of this parts network.

List price is showing to be $104 USD

Let me know if you want the names of the two US dealers that have the part in stock, maybe they would arrange international shipping for you! Doesnt hurt to ask!

Considering the purpose, I have to wonder if it's worth spending money to replace. It isn't a "structural" part, in any way. The only purpose is to dampen vibration, and the only time that would even be a factor is when the engine is idling in neutral. Under load when driving, any vibration will be transmitted into the drive train.

In fact, I have been considering removing it from one of my 4-cylinder trucks so that I can configure the front of the engine like a 6-cylinder and not have the a/c compressor obstruct the #1 spark plug.

Welcome to the Board. :thumbsup:

I'd like to see a pic of a UK MJ. :banana:

Is it Right (wrong ;) ) had drive?

Does it have those little turn signals above the fender flares?

Are the taillights all red like ours? (almost every European vehicle I've seen has amber rear directionals).

wow - got up and came on here with the intention of asking where I could get a shock from and hey, here are all these posts, you guys are ace -

Got to go to work now, will think about the replacement issue, I can see what is meant by is it really necessary, what does anyone else think?

- Yes it's a 2.5 not a 4

- yes the shock is a bit in front of the oil filter

- It's left hand drive, was imported here in 1999

- not wasting valuable Comanche space with a pic of me! :rotf:

Thanks again, you are all ace . :cheers:

Tracy