Merkur or XJ  

22 members have voted

1. 1. Merkur or XJ

• A: Keep merkur
    • B: trade merkur for XJ

Trading my 85 Ford MErkur for this lovely XJ,

Stats:

Merkur, 2.3 turbod 4 banger, 5speed.

wiring harness is destroyed, salvage title, doesnt run, needs a minumum of 1K to get it up and running solid.

XJ:

1990 laredo, 4.0 auto 4x4, runs&drives, needs bloer motor/switch, ignition switch, and new tires.

yeah definitely get rid of the merkur.... i'm surprised that there's still one of those around,havent seen one in years and i thought for sure that they'd all dissolved in the rain or been consumed by fire by now... can't imagine it's all that easy to get parts for that thing either, such as the wiring harness you need....

XJ XJ XJ XJ XJ XJ XJ XJ XJ XJ XJ XJ XJ XJ XJ XJ XJ XJ XJ XJ XJ XJ XJ XJ

I guess it depends which you like more, i would keep the XR4ti but I'm wierd like that.

wiring in an XR4ti isnt that bad to fix, it has seperate engine and chassis wiring so you only need to fix or replace the side thats got a problem.

because its basically a Ford Sierra you can still buy a ton of parts for it, check British American Transfer Inc. the web address is http://batinc.net/

I would say trade, but hold out for a better quality XJ. Looks like that one has been through the ringer. Not sure about the 90-91 changes that may have occurred.

I have never understood the fascination some people have for the late 80s/early 90s 4cylinder turbo cars. The Conquest is about the only one I can stand to look at :rotf:

Parts really are not that hard to find for them,they do turn up at junkyards and on craigslist. what you can't get locally you can easily find overseas. i have about a 200+ page XR4ti catalog sitting next to me right now.

engine parts are super easy to get as it uses a 2.3L SOHC turbo engine which was used in the t-bird,couger,mustang,and capri. Its basically a pinto engine with forged pistons.

here's what it could look like,one is an XR4ti the other is a Sierra

THe merkur is deffinately rare, only ive ever seenin person is mine. so that gets huge points, and after only owning several

old jeeps with a max of 4 speeds, (minus the MJ) a vehicel with some speed is intriguing.

The lure of an XJ on 33's built to the top is deffinatelly more tempting though.

THe guy comes to check it out tmrw so well see hwat goes down..

If i get the Xj its gonna be a pure trail rig, and some build advice will be needed,

*different thread different time tho*

:cheers: