my 1988 jeep comanche "ole rusty"

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just went through every single page and read most of the posts, and I'm not going to criticize you on anything, I know how that goes and I hate it when people do it to me. I'm all for saving mjs or any jeep worth anything really, but man you gotta let this one go. Part it out, use most of it to build your other one, drivetrain swap, but there is just way too much work in this thing to get it going properly and safely and in the end it really won't be worth it. By the time you get this one going you could have saved the money and time and finished the other one. I know you want to save this one and Ive been there done that plenty of times, but take it from somebody who learned the hard way, let it go. And I know about good memories in a car, I was driving my tj even before I got my license and now 4 years later after everything Ive been through with it I had to let it go because of difficulties with the finacing company. I'm not criticizing you for trying to save it or anything, I'm just telling you its not worth it. You have another one that looks to be in much better shape even though its a 4cyl. My advice just finish the other one, I went through that build thread also, and from the pics that one looks like a better truck to get it going than this one. Between this one and your blue one you can get the 4cyl one going in no time, with a 6vyl motor. I just don't think you should waste your time on this one. With that being said if you continue to try to save this one, all I have to say is good luck man.

I just went through every single page and read most of the posts, and I'm not going to criticize you on anything, I know how that goes and I hate it when people do it to me. I'm all for saving mjs or any jeep worth anything really, but man you gotta let this one go. Part it out, use most of it to build your other one, drivetrain swap, but there is just way too much work in this thing to get it going properly and safely and in the end it really won't be worth it. By the time you get this one going you could have saved the money and time and finished the other one. I know you want to save this one and Ive been there done that plenty of times, but take it from somebody who learned the hard way, let it go. And I know about good memories in a car, I was driving my tj even before I got my license and now 4 years later after everything Ive been through with it I had to let it go because of difficulties with the finacing company. I'm not criticizing you for trying to save it or anything, I'm just telling you its not worth it. You have another one that looks to be in much better shape even though its a 4cyl. My advice just finish the other one, I went through that build thread also, and from the pics that one looks like a better truck to get it going than this one. Between this one and your blue one you can get the 4cyl one going in no time, with a 6vyl motor. I just don't think you should waste your time on this one. With that being said if you continue to try to save this one, all I have to say is good luck man.

yea right now I'm sorta just playing with this at the moment but i am going to keep working on it because i consider it fun and i need to do alot of work to the other one thatwould take more time then what I'm doing nowon this jeep so I'm just gunna keep playing with this.

Pics of progress?

Rob L.

Pics of progress?

Rob L.

i got another bit of bracing on yesterday but its just one stip of metal welded on so its not much for ppics. but today I'm going to take the box off and do more work so i will get pics then

okay i snapped a couple pics this mornin . i havnt realy started working on er yet i just cleaned the bcak of it out so i could take the bed off.

anyway here is one of the braces on the right side . don't harpon me for my welding this time i its only bubbly because i went over it twick to fill in a few holes i burned.

and here's what the inside of my bed looks like without the bedliner

the holes are from last time taking the bed off soapbox.gif rusty bolts

and I see vertical weld points (you chose to ignore the advice to remove the cab corners as they need to be).

I don't see any fisheyes nor anything that will help remove shear points.

your spot welds didn't look too bad....not too keen on the rest of them though.

and I see vertical weld points (you chose to ignore the advice to remove the cab corners as they need to be).

I don't see any fisheyes nor anything that will help remove shear points.

your spot welds didn't look too bad....not too keen on the rest of them though.

AW CRAP! i forgot about that. anyway it doesnt really matter because now I'm just fixing it to be and offroad truck because i found more frame damage but i WILL do it on the one i make tomorrow. :wall: and i was welding to clean metal today

if you're not going to weld properly, don't do it at all.

going over it quick to just "fill in the gaps" on welds that we've all agreed are not good in the first place is just halfassed.

i wasnt filling in gaps in those welds that was on the other side . i did a weld and it was nice but i burnt through on the edges so i put it on lower heat and went over it again to fix where it burnt through.

I hate to keep beating you up here, But you really need to listen. All this effort will be completely wasted!! Even tho this is off road only, it will be just as useless when it snaps in to first time you flex it!! Making it for off road only eliminates damage to innocent bystanders, your still driving this thing and your still making and investment here. PLEASE take the time to do it rite.

Here is some pics from when I did mine. Please notice the lack of full width 90 degree welds and the clean steel both on the frame and the patch panels.

Take your time and do it rite the first time, maybe it will last a bit longer for you to enjoy once your done.

CW

wow that frame of yours is clean :eek: .

anyway i wish i will someday find metal in this rea that is that clean it is almost not possible to get metal that clean without paying much more than i can offord. right now I'm just learning and its starting too look like this will be an offroad truck but I'm still going to clean it up and fix body panels and all that stuff and try inspecting it once i finish but its looking like it will be offroad only. and i will keep taking advice.

i must ask though have my welds improved much since tha last batch of pics?

BEFORE!!

My frame was no where near as clean as this when the bed first came off!! An hour with a wire brush and wheel removed most of the scale. Then a 60grit flap wheel on my grinder cleaned the frame steel to almost a mirror. Believe me, this goes a LONG WAY to good looking and performing welds!!!

I'm lucky to have a good steel yard about a mile away. But 90% of what I buy is scrap overages sold for 1$ a pound. I just have to wait sometimes for the exact material I'm looking for to come in. If I cannot wait, I pay full cost. In this case, I paid for the bottom cap to be made up and got the rest as scrap.

Remember this, Anything worth doing, is worth doing correctly.

You could have the best setup and skills creating a bead, if your steel isn't clean you won't get good looking or performing welds. I cannot express this strongly enough.

CW

i was weldong on clean steel today no paint coating or rust on it i swear to you. i use a high heat and no extesion cord because i got the truck close enough so i didnt need it .i think my welding was much better this time than before . and i only got flashed once and lit myself on fire once too.LOL

i was welding on clean steel today no paint coating or rust on it i swear to you. i use a high heat and no extension cord because i got the truck close enough so i didn't need it .i think my welding was much better this time than before . and i only got flashed once and lit myself on fire once too.LOL

LOL, I have two good scars. One on each biceps from weld slag dripping on me and burning Thur my shirts. they both look like someone put a cigarette out on my arms, almost in the same spot on each arm. My left arm has been burned like this a couple times. Comes from welding upside down.... FUN STUFF!!!

What is your machines specs and what wire are you using? Solid or flux core? What is your gas mix if solid wire?

CW

I'm using flux core .(0.30 at the moment)

the duty cycle is 40% at 80 amps i think something like that .

crap i can't remember all the specs illl post them tomorrow .

i do know its got 4 heat settings and upp to 10 wire speed .don't remember much else .

its a mastercraft welder

40% duty cycle is good, but 80Amps is low... Sounds like a 110V unit. (Mine is too Mine is a Hobart 140 115V 140A machine) If so your at or very near the max you can do with that machine. The flux core will burn hotter and get you better penetration. Be sure you have the pos ground setup properly for the flux core wire... If you need more and your machine will handle .035 wire it will be hotter for you.

CW