my 1988 jeep comanche "ole rusty"

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why didn't you clean the steel first? You asked us for pointers. You asked me in BOTH PM and this post. ALL who know or even those who think that they know have suggested you CLEAN THE STEEL before welding! You repeatedly said you understand and that you will...next time.

You mention that you know you didn't birds mouth the steel.. but will next time. Well, guess what. Next time has come and gone, you still haven't done any of this.

What you fail to realize is that the damage is done. The welding you have done has muscularly changed the steel under the weld. It is now a WEAK SPOT. NOTHING can change this, anything you do now will need to be done to fix your fix... If stressed it WILL BREAK, where you think you have fixed the problems. Mostly, because you haven't taken the advice.. you asked for!!

I WANT TO help you, all of us here do, but if you don't or can't follow the simplest of our suggestions, what or how can we possibly help you.........

CW

Say you might want to find a Jeep J/10 or J/20 nice strong solid full framed truck designed to with stand rust salt snow rain water ect for 30+ years n 300,000+ miles . . . . .

The Mj wasn't the strongest truck when it was fresh steal with o miles now 20+ years n 200,000+ miles later is even less structurally sound, its simply not a repair to be taken lightly on any truck period, now considering the truck your repairing you should want to do a way above average repair . . .

I have seen these truck in the shape of yours where guy's have simply lag bolted the bed to the cab and drove it another 10 year's, and others guys tried to patch up and that last a few week's and end up in the ditch a twisted pile of metal. . .

:wall: I'd really hate to see you end up 6ft under :fs1: because it let loose :headpop: going down the road :shake:

Mike

Why didn't you clean the steel first? You asked us for pointers. You asked me in BOTH PM and this post. ALL who know or even those who think that they know have suggested you CLEAN THE STEEL before welding! You repeatedly said you understand and that you will...next time.

You mention that you know you didn't birds mouth the steel.. but will next time. Well, guess what. Next time has come and gone, you still haven't done any of this.

What you fail to realize is that the damage is done. The welding you have done has muscularly changed the steel under the weld. It is now a WEAK SPOT. NOTHING can change this, anything you do now will need to be done to fix your fix... If stressed it WILL BREAK, where you think you have fixed the problems. Mostly, because you haven't taken the advice.. you asked for!!

I WANT TO help you, all of us here do, but if you don't or can't follow the simplest of our suggestions, what or how can we possibly help you.........

CW

if you read the entire post you would see that i am going to buat another piece of steel onto that one to reinforce the soring hanger areaand that one will be bird mouth or whatever its called.

You have your bed off, how dose one go about removing the bed on these trucks ?

Mike

Not sure if he know's....I believe his just rotted off :doh:

You have your bed off, how dose one go about removing the bed on these trucks ?

nah man theres i think 6-8 bolts holing it down and you have to unplug you wiering harness aroound where the gas tank is.then after that just pick it up and move it .

CW

:agree:

u are still making excuses xP

honnestly, just go thru all of this thread,

MAKE A CHECK LIST

go through it don't just skim it,

and make sure u do it properly or don't do it at all,

you want it strictly offroading, when if its not safe enough for the road then its definantly not safe enough for offroad what so ever,

offroading puts great amounts of stress and flex on your truck, wayyyyyyyyyyyyy more then driving down a flat level peice of asphalt,

so come on, quit cutting corners and making excuses,

go big or go home man

hes saying i need to clean my steel but where I'm welding to is clean and the surface where I'm starting my weld is clean so how would cleaning the surface of the steel do anything to help it just doesnt make sense . anyway ive just opened up a huge can of worms here and I'm just gunna get people pissed at me and i don't want that so id appreaciate it if we stopped posting on this thread and let it fade away into the woodwork. some thngs i guess shouldne be posted ive learned my lesson and I'm not guna post on this thread any moreand id appreciate it if yall would do the same.

...anyway ive just opened up a huge can of worms here and I'm just gunna get people pissed at me and i don't want that so id appreaciate it if we stopped posting on this thread and let it fade away into the woodwork. .....

I'm thinking that this might be a good idea for this thread. Seriously. Locked and left.

Ok James, I have been nice to this point but listen to me, CW, and everyone else when we say:

:rant: :rant: :rant: RUST IS NOT CLEAN METAL!!!!!!!!!!! :rant: :rant: :rant:

You have to grind down to BARE STEEL. That will get the best weld. Also since you told CW to read your post again, you are wrong. Read HIS post again:

What you fail to realize is that the damage is done. The welding you have done has muscularly changed the steel under the weld. It is now a WEAK SPOT. NOTHING can change this, anything you do now will need to be done to fix your fix...

So, now you want your build thread deleted? I don't think we as mods want to do that. You just need to start heeding the advice we are giving you and stop cutting corners... We want you to take a step back, and do it right the first time... But, like CW stated, you already changed the dynamics of the metal where you welded... From here on out, no matter how much crap you weld on, it will break on that straight edged piece you welded on first... If it means taking pictures of the spot you are going to weld to before, do so... Hell, post up in stages, we will tell you if you are in the right direction before you continue... We would all be happy to help you out on that...

Rob L. :dunno:

what I'm saying is all I'm gunna do is piss everyone off and i don't want that to happen so i think it would just be better if the tread goes away and everyon forgets about it. . I'm not one who learns well buy being told how to do it i need to do it with the person whos tellin me on just learn from my mistakes .and so I'm just beggin ya now can you make this post either locked or just delete it. now I'm guynna put in my lats word . the welding surfaces are leacn one is cut off steel and the other has no rust on it as this truck did not rust normally it rusted from the inside outso there is no rust on the outside. but thats my last word . I'm not posting here anymore and i want everyone else to not to or the post to be deleted . i may start another thread about this truck after I'm don't woth the frame and its pained and noone can see what i did . and if it does break again and i get hurt because of a mistakes you guys can say"ui told ya so " because thats how i learn . I'm done here plese lock or delete this therad and forget this happened.

I think you just need to step away from this thread for about a week or two, instead of :typing: as soon as you see a new post. Somtimes when you're younger you need to step back to look at things later on to understand. :cheers:

Anyone know of a good video on proper weld preparation? I can't seem to find one that shows how to prepare the materials. :dunno:

Pete,

I have provided him with links to a couple sties showing EVERYTHING we have been telling him. Both in this thread and in PM's. He doesn't read or doesn't understand what we continue to write for 15pages now...

Its like my pop always said.. you can bring a horse to water.. but you can't make him drink.

Here is another one. GUESS WHAT.. the VERY FIRST THING we see is a grinder.. wait for it... CLEANING THE STEEL!!! OMG, what is the guy thinking????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy75q-QSIjI

Here is more then a couple dozen.. take you pick... http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... =0&spell=1

Like I said, I WANT TO HELP, WE ALL WANT TO HELP! But no one can help a person who will not listen.

CW

My KID does this all the time, I tell her she should do "this", She's stubborn, gets mad. Later on she always comes back and tells me "You were right dad, I should have listened, thank you." And to Freakjeep-grow up. You post about many different things in your life, when the heat is on, buckle down and deal with it! When your on a FIRE, your not going to be able to say"lock this thread,I don't want people to get POd at me" (hide under a rock :dunno: ), You want to hang with the adults, listen and do as they say, then start acting like one!