my 1988 jeep comanche "ole rusty"

hes saying i need to clean my steel but where I'm welding to is clean and the surface where I'm starting my weld is clean so how would cleaning the surface of the steel do anything to help it just doesnt make sense .

it makes perfect sense,

you have to clean the metal surface of rust because rust grows, you get rid of the rust and you will not be in the same boat as last time,

leave the rust there and it will re-rust and you are hooped, and have to do it all over again,

look at my build thread,

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=13533&start=0

see how i grinded off all of the rust before re-painting?

i did that for the same reason as i put above

good luck man :thumbsup:

hope this works out for you

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

i can't believe this is even a debate and that it's not apparently all "plain english" :doh:

Anyone know of a good video on proper weld preparation? I can't seem to find one that shows how to prepare the materials. :dunno:

Pete,

I have provided him with links to a couple sties showing EVERYTHING we have been telling him. Both in this thread and in PM's. He doesn't read or doesn't understand what we continue to write for 15pages now...

Its like my pop always said.. you can bring a horse to water.. but you can't make him drink.

Here is another one. GUESS WHAT.. the VERY FIRST THING we see is a grinder.. wait for it... CLEANING THE STEEL!!! OMG, what is the guy thinking????

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy75q-QSIjI

Here is more then a couple dozen.. take you pick... http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... =0&spell=1

Like I said, I WANT TO HELP, WE ALL WANT TO HELP! But no one can help a person who will not listen.

CW

i know how to weld the right way now :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: thanks for the link :cheers:

Live & Learn, I guess :cheers: . . .

Mike

And that's exactly it to. I'm about the same age and as good as the advice is it's just easier to live and learn.....sadly. I think most everyone on this board can relate to something like this at one point or another in there life.

Cheers

Justin

(P.S. good job on trying to get this thing living again! :cheers: )

I have driven truck's like his for 7-9 months maybe a year then crushed them, I even was planning on doing this with my MJ drive it a while year or 2 maybe 3 then junk it.

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

But it runs to nice and is in a lot lot better shape i got rusty doors and dented fender's, a few holes above the driver side rear wheel well. . .

:dunno: :dunno: :dunno:

I been thinking "well 2 doors 2 fenders 1 box side repair and coat of paint it'll like new" -" frames solid floor is new and Protect o wrap sealed "-" ya Just did a bunch of work to it all new brakes 2 calipers 2 wheel cylinders all new lines shoes and pads new master cylinder and a complete exhaust system starter battery cables sounds like a lot of new parts for a short term beater truck"-"you had the mechanical's inspected engines sound compression is great no blow by-transmission was sound no unusual slop or play no howling gears - rear end is nice n tight no extra play or howling as well"

yes i really had this conversation with my self :nuts:

:???: Fix it n keep it :???: was my conclusion :???:

Mike