my 1988 jeep comanche "ole rusty"

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oops i just remembered its a 20 % duty cycle and 88 amps

and its advertised as a 100 amp welder

That's still not bad, and a bit better as far as amps!! IIRC mine is 20% and 130amps max.... BTW, my frame repairs was done with a mix of .030 and .035 but ALL flux wire.

Did I mention that clean steel makes better welds... just saying.. :D

CW

I see no clean metal in the pictures....

cleaning just the edges (where you cut to fit) is not enough. also, the entire frame rail should be bare metal in that area...then primer it with zinc weld-through primer PRIOR to welding the frame rail itself.

wouldn't hurt to drill holes in the new plates on the sections where the frame rail is still there, so you can plug weld several spots.

wouldn't hurt to drill holes in the new plates on the sections where the frame rail is still there, so you can plug weld several spots.

:bowdown: :bowdown:

plug welds are you friends,

make lots of them and they will be very good friends :)

yes, but unfortunately the holes need to be drilled into the new material PRIOR to welding them to the old material...so that's now out of the question.

Not a welder myself, but rather a teacher.

Can one of you guys post a picture of CLEAN steel, ready to be welded? I think that might help here, and I don't have anything suitable. Plus it's cold outside. lol

this is what clean steal would look like....zero rust....and not just on the contact area...the WHOLE PIECE should be rust-free, so that it can be rust-proofed. and notice how the paint/undercoat is/would be cleaned off of the item to be welded to.

http://www.globalwest.net/images/Img4102.JPG

and those are proper welds, as well. unfortunately, the link image is too large to directly post on here...and I don't really care enough to resize it.

every surface to be welded to should be SHINY metal with no contaminates (i.e. no paint, no rust, no other objects on the metal)

i wish i could find / use ,etal that clean but it doesnt exist around here unless you buy it from the store and in some cases ots even abit rusty there. right now I'm wsing steel ive haed for years and it has some suface rust and ive tried wire wheeling a piece off once and the surface rust won't come off.

This is what you need, combined with a high speed grinder!! The will remove EVERYTHING RITE QUICKLY!!!

flap-disc-371193.jpg

Wire wheels on your drill motor are fine for loose scale or to clean up weld slag, or a bolts threads but they SUK at actually cleaning steel.

You NEED a high speed grinder!!

dw_dw882g_th.jpg

I cleaned everything under the patch panels, but only cleaned the weld areas to bright shiny clean bare metal.

CW

ive got a grinder actually ive got 8 of them.. i just gotta find that damn wire wheel

MAN, get some NEW glasses, a wire wheel will NOT CUT IT!!! Forget about using a wire wheel!!! A reg 1/4" cutting wheel used to clean the steel is better than that wire wheel!!! Get yourself a couple flap discs!!!!

CW

ive got a grinder actually ive got 8 of them.. i just gotta find that damn wire wheel

MAN, get some NEW glasses, a wire wheel will NOT CUT IT!!! Forget about using a wire wheel!!! A reg 1/4" cutting wheel used to clean the steel is better than that wire wheel!!! Get yourself a couple flap discs!!!!

CW

agreed,

saves alot of time,

instead of hours and hours on end of sanding down the inside of my truck i only had about 3 1/2 hours of grinding

My favorite rust removing tool is my sand blaster. However, this time of the year my air compressor isn't up to the task. In fact I drain it in the winter. But, when it's warmer and the humidity isn't too high. Sand blasting is rust's enemy.

Mac...

:bowdown: Sand blaster jamminz.gif

you can wire brush for day's or cut days in to hours by grinding or better yet cut hours into minuets and sand blast 30-45min oughta be good enough . . .

Great lakes = Rust Jeeps = Rust Great lakes Jeep's = :waving:

Canada that explains it isn't winter almost year round up there ? I was woundering how you ended up with way more rust then my Wisconsin born n raised MJ.

Mike

:bowdown: Sand blaster jamminz.gif

Canada that explains it isn't winter almost year round up there ? I was woundering how you ended up with way more rust then my Wisconsin born n raised MJ.

Mike

lol not even close,

depends on where u live, where i am winter is just under 1/3 of the year and gets down to -20 celcius to +45 celcuis,

where i used to live, was -50 celcius to +25 celcius and 2/3 winter of the year,

so rule of thumb, the higher u go, the colder it gets,

we don't live in igloos either xP

and nor do we have polar bears as pets,

lol sorry hijacked thread

Oh wonderful, salty road's kick the salt up from the bottom . . . Now you have sea mist attacking it from the top . . .

Truck's getting hit above and below the floor pan !

in that case i would have to say it's holding up rather well . . .

Mike