my 1988 jeep comanche "ole rusty"

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

see i told you i could. i started today i don't really know how to explain withoutboring everyone so ill just show pics:

thats the homeade gas tank we made a few years ago

mocking up

half of it welded in

both welded on

hows it look so far thats all i got done in 3 hours work . its slow but I'm doin it

Don't take this personally.

STOP NOW BEFORE YOU KILL YOURSELF, WHOEVER IS RIDING WITH YOU, AND THE INNOCENT BYSTANDERS ON THE ROAD!!!!!

dude...I'm not an expert at welding, but I can tell you now...those welds are NOT good. they're terrible, there's no penetration, they will not hold. you will have that truck break in half at an inoportune moment, and it will result in bad things.

...don't even get me started on that gas tank. ugh.

the weld are good there is penetration but rteh wire I'm using sucks so its reall messy trust me it penetrated.

Don't take this personally.

STOP NOW BEFORE YOU KILL YOURSELF, WHOEVER IS RIDING WITH YOU, AND THE INNOCENT BYSTANDERS ON THE ROAD!!!!!

dude...I'm not an expert at welding, but I can tell you now...those welds are NOT good. they're terrible, there's no penetration, they will not hold. you will have that truck break in half at an inoportune moment, and it will result in bad things.

...don't even get me started on that gas tank. ugh.

and the gas tank thats a 5 galon propane tank we made after the old tank rusted out. don't worrey ive got a brand new one just waiting for a home.

no, I DON'T trust your welds.

there is no proper welding there. there was not enough prep work, and that's not the right way to fix that frame.

you should be cutting the frame out where the rust is, and replacing it, sleeving it, and plating all sides. all welds should have fisheyes at the ends especially on the side as vertical welding on ANY frame will cause frame cracking...

....and there is no such thing as "bad wire" when it comes to this.

there IS such a thing as a "bad welder"....this of course referring to the person welding, rather than the welder itself.

I really don't mean this personally...but you just plain do not have the skill to do this repair.

I'm still not done attaching them the frame is going to be plated on all sides still with 1/8 plate and I'm still going to use and are welder to double check the welds.

*sigh*....

I'll never go wheeling with you if you're in that truck, much less ride with. the chances of it totally crumpling in half and costing more than just money are infinite.

dude I'm not done yet I'm going to pratically build a new frame aroud where its broke this was just the first little bit opf work

but suit yourself . just do me a favour why don't you give em advice on how yo do it better without cutting the frame apart because i don't have the resources for that . and just keep watching and judge it when its done.

dude I'm not done yet I'm going to pratically build a new frame aroud where its broke this was just the first little bit opf work

but suit yourself . just do me a favour why don't you give em advice on how yo do it better without cutting the frame apart because i don't have the resources for that . and just keep watching and judge it when its done.

if I didn't have the resources for it (which I do), I would scrap the truck.

but to do this repair, the rear axle and springs would come out, the bed would come off, the rear cab supports and rockers and cab corners would come off, then I would cut out that entire section of frame and either

A. make a new section to go between the two bad sections out of boxed steel, using fishplating techniques so I would have ZERO vertical welds

..or

B. get another MJ with a good section there but a wrecked front section, cut out all the bad on the truck you're working on, and weld in the entire rear frame section from wherever it's bad on yours, all the way back...then plate the entire frame.

using strips of metal around the whole frame isn't going to net alot of structural integrity. using the wrong wire to weld is also not going to gain structural integrity. not wire wheeling then grinding down the surface of EVERY weld....that's also not going to reinforce anything.

I hope those plates you put in are just temporary so you don't have to use the jackstands.

Look..

We all understand you are VERY excited by finally getting part of your project going. We all know the feeling of that rush, and being young makes it twice as bad. Even with Pat's fairly hard handed responses, he his correct. Those welds are not good. The material was too dirty and you are not getting enough heat for good penetration.

Noone seriously wants you to quit a project. But they do want you to do it correctly. We want as many Comanche nuts around as long as possible.

thep plates are permentent but I'm gonna replate around them rith heavy steel in essence I'm building a new frame around the old frame one which is stronger than what was there stock. the plates taht are in i think i might plate over with some of my 1/8 ince steel .the bed is coming off i just wanted to make the frame strong enuf to suppourt itself without the box first. and I'm going to try my best to have as few as possible vertical welds. but I'm also getting help from my dad who has done this stuff before so i think it will turn out good.

and ive since looked at my welding and i think i will clean thema up abit and start redoing it but the final judge of my job will be the safty inspection but i believe i can make it good. i clean up my welds then go over at a higher heat, and I'm going to go crazy with the amount of metal in going to put around the breaks. i want your respect and advice.

Sounds good man. Just know that we don't say stuff like this to be mean. We just want to help ya out... I would grind off the welds, and the flat stock you welded on, and find some channel or something... Something with some box strength to hold up to the tension.

Also, I hate to say this, but the one you were building before, does that one have a good frame? It might be easier, and quicker, to just transplant like you were going to... That frame will take a lot more time and effort to get right than taking the drivetrain out and putting it into a more solid platform.

Rob L. ;)

well thats my back up plan if the frame repair stuff doesnt pass inspection . but as ive said I'm planning on spending quite abit of time on it because the other truck needs everything replcaed. i m ay also out my 4.0 in it as it has no home. I'm going to keep the flat stick but i am going to smooth the woeds tomorrow then go bcak over thm with my welder on max heat just so I'm sure i get penetration. i went low on the heat today as i was afraid of burning through .and thats why my weld look like crap. oh and another thing about the other one . its frame need abit of work too just not as much as thid .and the florrs are much worse bad enuf that i need to repair the frame so if nothing else I'm practicing for the other one.

just read this thread

ive done a bit of welding and what i see with you welds need to be redone

trust me, i welded a sled together in shop class that had 3x more welds on it and looked exactly like your welds,

if that can break, your welds will definantly break, my problem was i used no gas when i should have

also, my step father is an ironworker and has been for over 30 years i showed him your pictures,

he says there is no penetration at all, all that is is the metal from the arc welder globbing on the outside of your metal,

watch this,

and read all of this before you weld any more, PLEASE!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTwEoFw4Yic

http://www.esabna.com/EUWeb/AWTC/Lesson1_1.htm

I'm saying all of this to help you/make sure you are safe