my 1988 jeep comanche "ole rusty"

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea i gotta get the resto mj done sometime . and that chevy needs abit of frame plating and a floor patch or 2 , one ball joint, rear brakes, and breaklines all the way around. not to mention either rebuilding the trnny thats in it or getting a new one/ swapping a 5 speed. then maby its 350 time :brows:

350's blow up burn gas and cost money . . . I'd go with a 406 myself put and NV-4500 5spd behind it, with some 4.10 or 4.56 gears. . .

that Chevy will really fly jamminz.gif i know i may have built 1 or 2 or 10 of them . . .

Mike

:hijack: to myself.

yea right now it has a rotchester 55 cfm singlt barrel on it. also its got no air cleaner because with one on it make the engine run lean ( the engine came out of a boat and haad no air cleaner) ill have to play with adjustments. also when ever i floor it it will start to sputter and run rough and stuff. but i think this problem is caused by not having more than2-3 gallons of gas in the tank at one time.but overall it runs qutie good

i wish i could find / use ,etal that clean but it doesnt exist around here unless you buy it from the store and in some cases ots even abit rusty there. right now I'm wsing steel ive haed for years and it has some suface rust and ive tried wire wheeling a piece off once and the surface rust won't come off.

you haven't tried hard enough.

They gotta stop sometime.

If they're human men at all, they gotta stop!

No, a human rides a horse until it dies, then he goes on afoot.

A Comanche comes along, gets that horse up, rides him 10 more miles...

...and then he eats him.

I think the horse is dead....but seeing as this is a Comanche forum, let's ride him for a few more miles anyway. :clapping:

if ti hang's in there another 5 year's or 5 miles it was all worth it . . .

AMC jeep's are no longer being made so we gotta run'em all till there beyond dead then scavenge whats left of the dead, to give the living n dieing some more life . . . jamminz.gif :bowdown: jamminz.gif

Mike

jeep com i ahve no money so I'm workin with what ive got. steel is VERY expensive in canada so i can't buy any right now. plus this truck is now not going on the road its now just an offroad truck not a road truck.

use the steel you have, and wire brush the heck out of it if you have to. if your wire brush doesn't work, it's too fine of a brush and you need a coarser one.

flap wheels are not that expensive, and they go for miles...that is the best solution.

ive got flap wheels i think. but ive also got grinding discs too

USE THEM

btw...hope you don't have obese friends :rotf: ...may not end well

LOL i keep meaning too but i always froget

alright. this is my last real advice in this thread....I'm struggling ALOT to contain the things I really want to say.

advice:

in this type of fabrication/repair, you CAN NOT FORGET ANYTHING. period. no excuses...your excuses are growing very old and are the reason that there are now 12 pages of this thread of advice being ignored by you.

I'm really sorry man, I had to say that...I don't dislike you, hate you, or feel anything negative towards you as a person...but this fabrication is terrible. it's NOT being done right because things keep being "forgotten". again...do it RIGHT or don't do it at all.

-Pat

I'm not ignoring anything of what your saying but if you want to think that way then fine . i have notched my steel like eagle said, i have made my welding better as you said , i am going to angle the vertical weld areas that are on the first plate i just needed to get that plate on before dark and I'm going to trim it. and i am going to start cleaning my steel up . i don't believe i have ignored anything. i am posting thsi to show that anything is possible that any mj or any vehicle can be saved. and I'm trying . another thing ive said is that this is a learning experience for me and i learn best from experience not by what I'm told i remember what i do better. this truck id going to be an offroad truck now and i plan in doing my job right. and my work will get better the more i work at it. because i learn. but if you don't want to give me anymore advice then fine because apparently i ignore everything you say.

*sigh*

I lied.

your welds somewhat improved...but I know you didn't grind off the bad welds from something like 10 pages ago when you first started. you're not getting enough penetration, and your machine isn't set right for what you're doing...that, and you're not chipping all the flux (IIRC that's what you've said you are welding with) off before you lay down more beads, so your welds are not even 1/10th as strong as you think they are.

the idea to just cut the steel around the mounts is, in some cases, good.

NOT your case. as I've stated, to do it right, you need to remove the rear axle, front leaf mounts, cab mounts, and bed....THEN repair it, and weld back in all of those parts (or make new ones to replace the JUNK spring mounts).

doing it half@$$ed to go wheeling is the worst idea ever. I would never wheel something that's more likely to break in half than not...for my safety and that of others, I would NOT do it.

that, was my last post until I see some decent work done.

ive got flap wheels i think. but ive also got grinding discs too

USE THEM

btw...hope you don't have obese friends :rotf: ...may not end well

LOL i keep meaning too but i always froget

alright. this is my last real advice in this thread....I'm struggling ALOT to contain the things I really want to say.

advice:

in this type of fabrication/repair, you CAN NOT FORGET ANYTHING. period. no excuses...your excuses are growing very old and are the reason that there are now 12 pages of this thread of advice being ignored by you.

I'm really sorry man, I had to say that...I don't dislike you, hate you, or feel anything negative towards you as a person...but this fabrication is terrible. it's NOT being done right because things keep being "forgotten". again...do it RIGHT or don't do it at all.

-Pat

:agree: :agree: ............