2" Trailer hitch reciever from Uhaul

I have noticed quite a few inquiries about trailer hitch recievers for our MJ's. I figured I would post a separate thread for better exposure. I did the researh, made the calls and the cheapest new one I have found was through U-haul part #75021. Not sure if the cost varies from place to place, but mine was $209.95 plus tax. I think it is a class 5 (maybe 3?)with a 2" reciever. The label says V5, 500 max tounge, 5,000 max trailer wieght. It will fit either shortbeds or longbeds. If you go in there, they will want your vehicle info...tell them you have an automatic tranny, because otherwise their idiot-proof computer system may automatically put you in a class 1 hitch. I installed it myself, and it was a perfect fit. I had to get 6 longer bolts for the bumper bracket, and two extras for the bumper bottom.

I loosened all the bumper bracket bolts, and removed the top 3 closest to the rear. The hitch slides right into place over the bumper brackets:

I installed the longer replacement bolts (hand tight), and then loosened these two bolts on each side inside the bumper:

This allowed the bumper to rotate up and down to match the two outside bumper ball mount holes with the hitch plate holes above the reciever:

Once everything was together, I went around and snugged all bolts down in opposite order of loosening/removal. The fit is great:

FYI, there is no plug-and-play trailer wiring harness for our trucks, so you gotta get out the test light and figure that one out on your own :brows: I wired my taillights differently because of the XJ donor having separate turn/brake lights, so I am no help there ;) Hopes this helps for anyone looking for a hitch :thumbsup:

-James

Where did you get that bumper?

Ya, as 89eliminator said, its an stock OEM Jeep bumper. I got it new from Jeep about 3 years ago; forked out about $280 bux for it if I remember correctly. It hurt then, but supposadly they are sold out now and one cannot purchase them new through Jeep any more, so I am glad I got it...money well spent :thumbsup: SO parranoid I am going to get rear ended though. At least if I do now, the hitch reciever will now take most of the blow :brows: That happened in my cherokee once, and I had a hitch in there...the woman that hit me was driving a brand new VW Passat...yep, put a hole right in her motor, totalled her new car :shake: Scratched my bumper (with a minor bend) & bent my exhaust pipe :rotf: I wound up with a new flowmaster exhaust and lift kit, compliments of her insurance company jamminz.gif

I've been debating that hitch for a bit. I just adapted the rear tire carrier and bumper set from an '87 XJ onto my '88 Comanche and I'm searching for a hitch that would work with it. (I might have put myself into the custom fab realm) The Cherokee bumper is tucked up a smidge higher than the factory bumper was. Would it be too much trouble to ask you to make a quick measurement of how far down that hitch hangs relative to the bottom of the tailgate? That would be awesome if you could.

-Gary

'88 Pioneer

CRF136N - nice install documentation! Never thought about attaching the receiver hitch to the bumper.

Just went outside to look at my hitch. It also has a couple of holes that don't quite match up to the factory bumper (but they are close).

RETCH99 - Interested in how you adapted the 87 Cherokee tire carrier to the Comanche. Have been toying with the idea for a couple of years.

As for your worry/concern about the Cherokee bumper being a litter higher than the Comanche bumper - I don't really think it is an issue. Just don't see the need to bolt the receiver hitch to the bumper. As far as I can see, the bumper adds nothing to the receiver hitch. The hitch is clearly much stronger and better built than the factory bumper.

Would love to see some pictures of the Cherokee tire carrier on the Comanche!!!!

RETCH99 - Interested in how you adapted the 87 Cherokee tire carrier to the Comanche. Have been toying with the idea for a couple of years.

As for your worry/concern about the Cherokee bumper being a litter higher than the Comanche bumper - I don't really think it is an issue. Just don't see the need to bolt the receiver hitch to the bumper. As far as I can see, the bumper adds nothing to the receiver hitch. The hitch is clearly much stronger and better built than the factory bumper.

Would love to see some pictures of the Cherokee tire carrier on the Comanche!!!!

I've got it 95% on there, I need to make a couple small sheet metal reinforcements for the upper mount and tailgate bumpstop. Works pretty good, swings out of the way letting the tailgate drop completely with about an inch of clearance. For personal taste, I'm going to lower the tire mount 4" and space it away so the tire itself doesn't rest on the gate. I've been taking pics of the whole affair, so I'll get a blog up somewhere with it.

As far as a hitch, I think once the truck is in paint jail, I'll fixture up the assembly and custom build the bumper mount with an integrated hitch. That way, I get what I want without losing too much ground clearance.

-Gary

'88 Pioneer

• 4 weeks later...
I got the same hitch from Hitches To Go part #75021 for $120.44 with free shipping. It is made by Draw-Tite. Just dose not have U_Haul wrote on it.

jamminz.gif Thank you!

I checked that site before and it didn't list a Comanche hitch when you search by make and model. The part number works though! jamminz.gif

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So...

Curt MFG – no go.

Draw-tite – no longer producing them.

Reese – no go.

U-Haul – have them, but what’s on hand is all they’ve got. No more being produced.

Any other companies that carry them? I am in need of a class 3 by next weekend for my 88 long-bed....

Figured I would cross-post this here:

Needed a class III 2" receiver for my 88 longbed... and since Reese, Draw-tite, and Curt don't make one for us anymore, and Uhaul has them for $200+ (only for existing inventory, no more being made...) I went down to the local Advance Auto Parts and grabbed a universal.

Reese--- #37042 -- Class III hitch … http://www.reeseprod.com/ doesn’t show this model but does show a #37152 that looks to be the same thing…. (go to installation instructions pdf for picture)

Shelf price $129—At checkout priced at $119,

Perfect fit and the brackets didn’t even require taking off the bumper to mount!

4 bolts per side mounting bracket to Jeep frame, 4 bolts hitch to mounting bracket

Needed a class III 2" receiver for my 88 longbed... and since Reese, Draw-tite, and Curt don't make one for us anymore, and Uhaul has them for $200+ (only for existing inventory, no more being made...) I went down to the local Advance Auto Parts and grabbed a universal.

Reese--- #37042 -- Class III hitch … http://www.reeseprod.com/ doesn’t show this model but does show a #37152 that looks to be the same thing…. (go to installation instructions pdf for picture)

Perfect fit and the brackets didn’t even require taking off the bumper to mount!

4 bolts per side mounting bracket to Jeep frame, 4 bolts hitch to mounting bracket

Awesome jamminz.gif

I noticed this same hitch at my local Autozone a few days ago - Didn't have time to check it out, but was going to go back with some measurements and pics to see how close it would be. Good to know it works!

Does it look like the picture on Amazon?

319FH0BZJ6L._SS500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpower-37 ... B000CQOIR8

Snap a couple pics,

having an available, off the shelf, bolt on, 500/5000lb MJ hitch for ~$100 is pretty big news. :yes: :cheers:

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...