How'd you name it?

bigalpha

My blue truck is/was "Rooster" based on the song from Stone Temple Pilots (?) " Can't kill the Rooster..." - the blasted thing just wouldn't die.

My current rig is "LastMJ" for 2 reasons - 1 because it's a 1992, the last year of the Comanche. And 2 it's the Last MJ that I will ever own and/or buy. It's the perfect truck! (almost, but it will be!)

Rooster is by Alice In Chains.

My vehicles were given model names by the manufacturer - Comanche, Ram, Cherokee, etc. Those are the only names they will or should ever have. Just as vehicles do not have genders, they should not be given names. Also, a vehicle should never be referred to as sexy, unless you are a perv with a tailpipe fetish.

Willy

My vehicles were given model names by the manufacturer - Comanche, Ram, Cherokee, etc. Those are the only names they will or should ever have. Just as vehicles do not have genders, they should not be given names. Also, a vehicle should never be referred to as sexy, unless you are a perv with a tailpipe fetish.

Willy

Why do you think that vehicles shouldnt have names or genders?

I'm sorry but he has a point why name them ? Yea i named mine but it wasnt buy choose it kind of is a Frankienstien 2 parts chevy i part from a wrangler another from an 83 cherokee. So it is just like frankienstien :chillin:

Willy

That's right! Thank you.

As far as naming them...I don't ever refer to mine by those names when I am talking to anyone about them. It's just one of those things. I don't name everything either. None of the other 11 or so vehicles I have had through my life have ever gotten names. Sometimes names just fit. But to each his own, right?

In type, I refer to my trucks by year: 88,90,86, and the empty shell in Georgia gets to be an "89" (even though it's technically a 90). In speech I generally refer to them by color: the gray truck, the red truck, the white truck, etc. Not very creative, I know. It all started to help my family know which one I was talking about after I bought the 86 and suddenly had 2 MJs, a red one and a white one. It just stuck. Of course now I'm screwed. I painted the red one a tan color and still find myself referring to it as "the red truck". :shake: Maybe I should call it "the tan truck formally known as the red truck". :D

Willy

Got your back on this one :thumbsup: .

Willy

Why do you think that vehicles shouldnt have names or genders?

Because they are not companions, pets, people, etc. They do not have personalities. They are made of metal, plastic, and rubber, not flesh and blood.

I hate watching a car show or reading about a car that is referred to as sexy. No matter how beautiful a McLaren, Bugatti, or Ferrari is I will never be aroused by it...unless Jessica Biel is naked on the hood. :yes:

But, maybe I'm just weird. I also don't find cartoons or video game characters sexy, no matter how big they make Lara Croft's tits. :dunno:

Willy

Because they are not companions, pets, people, etc. They do not have personalities. They are made of metal, plastic, and rubber, not flesh and blood.

Willy

Depends on your definition of "personality". My 88 has as much personality as some pets. :D Personality comes from character, flaws, or habits, and those are generally only picked up by the ones that know them best. A perfectly working truck may not exude as much "personality", but my old truck has more quirks, gremlins, and character than you can shake a stick at. And, having owned it for a mind-boggling (to me at least) 12 years now, I've gotten to know all of them. Having changed/modded/altered/replaced almost everything in it now, no one knows my truck better than me. :D She's different than any other truck, and those differences give her personality (to me at least).

I agree with Pete. My truck is a PITA and a pile of junk to some people, but to me SHE'S gold. Yes, I do refer to it as a she. I consider my Jeep part of my family. Granted it's not nearly as important and any human being in my family, not even as important as my dog, but it's certainly more important then my wife's stupid cats. Pete was saying that his truck has more personality than most pets, and I'd have to agree. Mine is maybe about the same as one of the stupid cats (he's a quirky little bugger) but the other one is useless. She hates everyone, even my wife. She gets nothing but love from my wife, I just stay away, don't even torment her like I dream about. So does that cat not deserve a name? Yea she's flesh and blood, but she's useless. No point in having her as a pet.

Why does a street deserve a name? It's not flesh and blood. It's a way to know what it is. It's different from any other street. Same for a vehicle, should the owner of said vehicle want to. Something to differentiate it from the others of it's kind.

Anyhow, we could debate this until we are blue in the face. The nice thing is though, we don't all have to agree. We aren't in a communism here. We are allowed to have our opinions.

OK, I'll get off my soapbox.gif now.

Growing up all the Jeeps were referred to by their years. The only doubles we have now are at least a different color, and they're the only two Comanches, so that makes it easier.

They definitely have their own personalities, and seems like most are referred to female. I know my 2.5 would be, because it certainly has PMS. Runs like crap for a few days every couple of weeks. Still don't know why.

I would never trade them in though. :cheers:

I've never named any of my vehicles before. Last year when I got the MJ, the PO had named it Marvin. The truck had Marvin the Martian seat covers, floor mats, and key chain. I stopped at the first opportunity and threw all that junk in the trash.

But word of the truck's name leaked out to the NAXJA SoCal Chapter. Now everybody calls the truck Marvin. I resisted calling the truck Marvin as long as I could. But I finally caved in and now call it Marvin.

BTW, I picked the truck up in Vegas on May 17, 2008. So Happy Belated Anniversay Marvin!

my 86 is named '3800 or MJ3800 based on the fact that I put a 96 camaro buick 3800 v6 in it to replace the crappy 2.hate liter, and a small upgrade from the other option...a 3.4 liter camaro motor.

before the engine upgrade, I calld it "Duke" just cause I liked the name.

my 87 wheeling truck is called MJ757 because my new screen name makes me the 757th member here...it used to be jeepcom1 but I lost the password. that was something in the 300's.

it's other name is the "War Machine" because I'm an avid Iron Man fan, and that combined with MJ757 gives it a numerical military group (MJ) and number (757).

other than that, I haven't named any other comanches...they were all called by year. my 86 cherokee was "forby" cause it was a four banger.

-Pat

My Olds 98 was called "The Bomb", as named by my late father in law.

The Geo Prizm was called "The Geo".

The F100 that replaced the Olds was name "Blue Bomb", again by late father in law.

Suburban was "The Burb".

Comanche is "Bush Pig"

Cherokee has yet to be named.

Mine varies by what comes to mind first... '91, The MJ, The Eliminator, The Jeep, The Truck... was going to have plates that said something like GIRSMJ, but went with the more natural show car style and it just says 91ELM8R. No pet names for the vehicles, then they might start demanding more expensive things then I'd like to get for em. :shake:

~Alex

my MJ got the nickname "the fugly duckling" because...well...it's fugly! ;) but i can see some hidden potential/beauty that can be pulled out of it once i get my other projects finished up and can work on the MJ. hopefully sooner rather than later

I haven't named any of mine either, I usually say '89 or '99 or blue or green or black. But my TJ has been dubbed "Eugene" because of the stickers on its fenders... My MJ is called the "blue" one by my wife.

CW

Willy

:agree:

But how 'bout tractors.

"She tihnks my tractor's sexy"

Doh. :eek:

To comment on vehicle sexiness... I beleive when a vehicle of any type is reffered to as sexy, it not really a matter of sexual attraction, I think its more a case of sexual energy. Nobody in their right mind is really sexually attracted to a vehicle to the point of wanting to consumate, its more an issue of if I had that car it would make me more sexually powerful to the opposite sex... at least in your head. You can't tell me that a black Porsche 911 turbo with a whale tail isnt sexy in this context. Or "insert your fantasy car here"? For anyone on here to actually beleive that people (in their right mind) would be sexually attracted to a vehicle is absurd. Its just figure of speech. Take it easy!

I'm sorry but he has a point why name them ? Yea i named mine but it wasnt buy choose it kind of is a Frankienstien 2 parts chevy i part from a wrangler another from an 83 cherokee. So it is just like frankienstien :chillin:

Yeah, I had a Chevy named "Frankie".

same theory, Frankenstein made from 1,000's of

junkyard parts.

BOB

Have always named vehicles in my family...

Past Jeep names:

'90 YJ, "Christine", After the horror novel by Stephen King/Movie in the mid '80s, an old Plymouth (IIRC) is alive... The Jeep responded to encouragement.

'00 TJ, "Joe Black", The Jeep was black

Past family vehicle names:

'03 H2, "Tank", I think it is obvious why.....

'92 Chevy Truck, "WTT", White Trash Truck, paint peeling off the entire thing and went through a few trannys.

My current Jeeps:

03' TJ, "Ruby", It's a Rubicon.

'92 MJ, "Rusty", Its a Comanche, what did you expect? Although it may stick after the restoration/save.