It's official

BPB

Not to spread rumors...but I hear Fiat is going to pick up Chrysler. Filing chapter 11 will probably give the company a chance to shake off some of its debts and dead weight. Whether or not Fiat is the one to bring back Chrysler, IDK. Those Europeans can be kind of "iffy" when it comes to cars, but on the other hand Renault owns Nissan and Nissan doesn't suck. So maybe there is hope!

will it be good for chrysler? yes, theyll bust the union and close an @$$ ton of stealerships. but in turn prob thousands of people will loose there job due to this.

Exactly! The company will shrink and a lot of people will lose their jobs...but not everyone that works for chrysler will lose their jobs. Most of the stealerships won't go out of business, they will try to sell other brands or used cars. It'll work out eventually.

Like the new Jeeps were worth much anyway. :dunno: From the Compass/Patriot to the 4 door JK, to the monstrosity of the WK, which they promised they wouldn't make the WJ any bigger, they haven't been impressing me over the last couple years.

Like the new Jeeps were worth much anyway. :dunno: From the Compass/Patriot to the 4 door JK, to the monstrosity of the WK, which they promised they wouldn't make the WJ any bigger, they haven't been impressing me over the last couple years.

They kept making Jeeps after '01? I didn't notice.

Yes alot fewer Dealerships is a good thing, if you are a manufacturer.

Unfortunately, the ones to go will be the smaller ones( many family owned

for generations) who actually gave a rat's butt about the customer. We'll be

left with the "supermarket" dealers who sell everything at one or more of their

lots.

The unions have given up alot the last several decades, and it has been a trade-off.

Fewer workers being more productive and efficient, but receiving higher pay in return.

We wouldn't have the standard of living we enjoy here without them. Otherwise,

companies would hire as many immigrants as possible for $4/hr, just look at the meat packing industry.

There are good and bad points to both sides, but in the end IMHO, those of us left working will foot the bill. soapbox.gif

They kept making Jeeps after '01? I didn't notice.

Yeah me neither :dunno:

I agree that, over-all, it will be a good thing. It is unfortunate that so many will suffer from it in the short term though. Breaking the unions and getting rid of them is probably going to be one of the best things about it.

how can u say that getting rid of the union is a good thing? iam not sure about the uaw but i have work in a couple non-union shop and now i work in a union shop and i would take the union shop any day. the union isnt the one make all the crappy business choices for Chrysler , its the rejects upstairs.

Unions take the control of the business owners and managers away. The business management or owners should be the ones to say what benefits the employees are entitled to, how much pay they are entitled to, what vacation time they get, etc, etc... Unions control all of that kind of stuff, forcing companies to pay millions of dollars that they really can not afford or should not be paying. Unions have been the death of many businesses over the years. A union is nothing but pure evil that should not exist. Just because you perform the same job as me does not mean that you deserve the same pay as me. I may be way more efficient than you, have more experience than you, but in a union, the employer is going to have to pay what the union says regardless of whether the person is really worth it or not. There are a lot of auto workers that are about to be out of jobs soon, and a big part of the reason is the unwillingness of the unions to make concessions and help out...so now their people are going to be in the street.

:cheers:

it will be just like united air lines. they file, everyone gets screwed except chrysler. anyone that chrysler owes money to gets nothing, at least its not publicly traded.

when united air lines bankrupted, all debts were erased, all stock holders lost everything, what stock, you have no stock, you have stock in a non existant company.

the stock then re opened under a different symbol at $30/share :ack: :headpop:

Weather or not the unions are going anywhere is still up in the air. Everything Ive read today says the union will still be there with the deal they made the other day... making concessions. Would Chrysler be better off without unions...maybe, I don't know. I do knows unions have made a huge difference in working standards all across the board in this country. Are unions still necessary in todays enviroment, I don't know, but without them there would be even more of the whole thing about I can get this immigrant to do your job for half of what I'm paying you stuff. If you think that stuff is bad now... see what happens if theres no unions at all.

i think they've gone too far.

gm's spin off parts company delco had union contracts they had to sign, saying 1000 people (fictitious number) will be employed in this plant. times changed and there wasn't enough work to keep them working, half the employees showed up to work and watched tv while recieving full pay...and the unions would not restructure their deal. and this was the case in hundreds of delco plants.

other instances had applicants on a waiting list for jobs to open recieving a salary.

no other country would do that, and what company can stay afloat with that going on?

The state labor laws are where the problem is. If your a free labor state like we are here Texas. You can work for either and neither one dominates or dictates how and for what something is done. If you were smart, as a business owner than you had a general policy of "if the union men get a raise you gave your people a raise" best way to keep control of your company, remain competitive and your employees remained with you and were happy and it kept the union out. Thus if the unions went on strike and you personally did not feel the need to strike at your workplace than you did not have to walk off the job, and honor the strike. Times change and there was a time when the unions were needed to improve safety and honesty. But today with collective bargaining and OSHA and other watch dog groups the need for a union is no longer needed. jamminz.gif HOOKEM HORNS! and GO Mavericks!

In a few months your going to see a lot of OEM dealership parts on Ebay. So save your money and stock up when they are cheap cause sooner or later we're only going to have 3rd party manufactures. Which is fine if your totally into building off road. But for some of us that prefer to keep our trucks stock than 3rd party parts are the last thing I want. I'm into the long term investment and return. Classic and antiques cars have been giving an 8 to 10+% return over the last 15 years. Any Pontiac GTO or Firebird just went up 30% in value without doing a thing to it. Sooner or later a younger generation is going to want my MJ. By then I will more than likely be in the wheelchair at the old folks home after they take my drivers license away. By then maybe Sugarfoot will be worth 13-15 K, hopefully more but she's an 88 so no doubt worth less than a 92. But by then I can just hire a limo and take out one of the hot nurses that like dirty old men cause they think were fun but safe. Mooohhhaahaa "Well I'll show you safe honey, did I ever tell you I used to own a Jeep Comanche?".

Hey is beer thirty somewhere,

later boys

JD with FEMA Region VI

the dealer's are not all the sudden gonna liquidate their parts, they aren't going anywhere, your neighborhood chrysler dealer will still be there...sure some will close, but the company is not going to disappear, they are simply legally skipping out on the bill they owe everyone.

so we are not going to see all sorts of great new o.e. parts on ebay.

I see it as a bad thing. The unions and Obama will own controlling interest of a corporation? What is wrong with that picture? That is like Colonel Sanders guarding the chicken house. How can the bond holders and the stock holders have zero value assets. They loose everything or get pennies for their risk and investment. The union gets the company? The bond holders were the ones that loaded GM money. How can they be out and government still owns part of it? The previous post said Obama was on the news talking as if it is a good thing. How can we give away billions and then allow it to go chapter 11? What a success story. :ack:

The one that really gets me is GM. Obama fired the CEO. The guy should have said, "no, I fire you". What could Obama have said? This isnt Russia.

The auto companies need to be able to compete with other auto makers. These poor auto companies carry so much bagage with union labor cost and they compete against companies that don't have that liability. The business model doesnt work. The union doesnt care about profits or efficiancy.

Perhaps the most troubling in all of this is the public sees this as completely acceptable.

I don't know squat about unions in any industry, so I can't comment on that part of this topics, but does anyone else have concerns about a foreign company, specifically European, having major influence over a US Automaker... I just can't imagine that what works for automakers in Europe will remotely work here. I've spent some time over there and it's a different world, literally, but also when it comes to consumer demands and needs from their Auto... I just can't imagine the CEO of Fiat is going to have a clue what will work in the US... I know it's more about having the staff around you that does, but sheesh, that hasn't worked very well over the past couple of decades either (with US run Auto company's)... I'm probably in the minority, but I think I'd rather see the US makers just fail and go away than to see Fiat take over and then run them into the ground anyhow because people in the US don't fit the model of those consumers in Europe... I mean I know the loss of all the jobs in the US will kill us, but I think a move like this is just prolonging the inevitable... I'd rather pull the bandaid off now when we are near the bottom than to start our recovery and then just take 2 steps back again in 12/18/24 months...

I've been wrong before and I'll be wrong again...and I have been drinking, and have annoying children that I'm watching for like the 100th night in a row (I'm exaggerating, but it seems like it), and working at a place this is going to have a 2nd round of big layoffs in a couple weeks where I don't know that I'm safe and we are sending all of our work to China, but I'm not bitter...

union = safety, guaranteed check, and comfortable living

that combination makes fat, lazy, selfish people.

the end is that people DON'T work their share, DON'T care about the company, and essentially rob them.

now us guys who are not union, bust our @$$. I work hard as hell for a measly $12/hour installing coke machines in the McDonalds. one of our competitors (also non-union) pays $22/hour to do the same thing. BUT they're not local, and have a bad reputation for installs and service (at least around here).

I'd go over there, but I enjoy feeling like I earned my money. Union inspires the enjoyment of getting money, and the self-satisfaction of having the upper hand, and the knowledge that you don't have to work as hard because there is nothing your employer can do because all you have to do is call the union.

BTW my brother is union. even union guys joke around about things like "how many union guys does it take to change a light bulb?....as many as you can get". Sure, it's a good thing for some places but for most, the end result is less productivity at more employer cost.

no friggin wonder chrysler is going under.