At what age were you hooked?

mfpdm

First Jeep was really a Willys it was a CJ2A and I was 15. Drove it through HS and well into my early 20s. It was worn out when I got it and I kept patching it up until I got started with a family. Sold it to a guy who logged a lot more miles on it at his camp in the woods of Pa.

First got an in inkling of Jeep itch in 1968 when Clint Eastwood drove an old CJ-6 in Coogan's Bluff. In 1971 my Scout leader had a Jeep J4000 that took us on camping trips all over California which also added to the itch. In 1974 were stationed at Subic Bay Naval Base in the Philippines, where I got even more exposure to Jeeps. I got to drive an old Kaiser Duece and a quarter with that granny gear, man oh man what a rush that was. An old retired Marine had access to an old retired USMC Mighty mite which was an absolute joy to drive for its age that had to be one of the most awesome Jeeps I ever got to drive.

I first set eyes on a Comanche in 1987 when I was in the market for a pickup. My family owned a Nissan Dealership, and I was pricing an MJ 4 cylinder 4X4 against a Nissan pickup. In the end I couldn't get the credit I needed for the MJ so I went with the 1987 Nissan. I kept following the MJ and always wanted an Eliminator, but could never afford one over the years. I kicked myself in the behind ever since and then in in 1997 I bought a brand new Grand Cherokee for the wife, and in 1998 a Jeep Wrangler for myself. In 2005 I happened upon a 1991 4X4 Eliminator with the D44 from Ohio, and I had a little bit of money in my savings made an offer and I never looked back.

In 1974 were stationed at Subic Bay Naval Base in the Philippines, where I got even more exposure to Jeeps. I got to drive an old Kaiser Duece and a quarter with that granny gear, man oh man what a rush that was. An old retired Marine had access to an old retired USMC Mighty mite which was an absolute joy to drive for its age that had to be one of the most awesome Jeeps I ever got to drive.

Aye, you brought back some memories w. this post Joe. I got to the PI a little after you in 1978 and first set eyes on their "owner Jeepneys" there, and knew I had to have one They were basically a slightly stretched all stainless steel CJ body w. any engine/tranny combo you could cram in. I picked up a GM 327/350 HP rebuilt long block from the AAFES garage at Subic w. a Muncie 4 speed transmission (this stuff was easy to get parts for at the time), brought it all to one of the best Jeepney builders in Manila, and two months later it was ready. All leather interior, hard top, A/C, all for $5500. Man, that thing was fun to drive, kept it for 12 years, and we went all over Luzon in it w. no problems. Due to US Customs laws I couldn't bring it home to the US, or I'd still be driving that rig.

:cheers:

Although I may be young in retrospect to some of the folks here, my Jeep addiction started at birth... Yup, March 1986.

1986- Brought home in a 2door 1984 XJ, V6, with glass packs. Photographic evidence indicates I received a CJ7 toy that Christmas as well. At some point the 84 XJ was stated for a white 92 XJ. Sold in 1996.

1989- Power Wheels CJ Jeep. Rolled it, painted it, and had flash lights taped to the bumper for auxiliary lighting. Destroyed in 94/95. Through the years I can clearly remember the white 'Jeep truck' with orange stickers and a large 4x4 sticker on the side. It was a 1986 MJ.

2000- Started driving a Salvaged 1990 YJ, 4.2, 5spd that my folks purchased in 95. Became my first 'car'. Wrecked, lifted, and tired the Jeep through High School.

2003- Bought a Salved Rubicon. Became my DD. Sold the YJ. My folks bought another XJ, this time a 1993 from the Neighbors.

2009- Tried to buy the white 86 MJ I knew from childhood. It had been destroyed. A 92 MJ from mid-Missouri catches my eye. Had to have it.

...and here I am today. People insist my Jeep addition was something I established in High school. Wrong... it had already begun!

• 2 weeks later...

I got my first jeep at 28 now i have two.

I had always liked the MJs and finally decided to get one.

I was on craiglist one day and saw an ad that said " 1984 comanche fourbyfour $400"

the ad had very little info basically stated that it ran. It had no pictures and the jeep was about 45 min from me.

I thought about it and got curious so i called about it. the people didnt say much about it other then it was a 4cyl 4spd and it ran and drove.

I figured it wouldnt hurt to look as i wasnt doing anything anyway so we drove out to the place,as i turn the corner there sits a decent looking comanche sitting on 31"tires.I popped the hood and saw the emission tag stated it was a 1989. turned out the guys girlfriend posted the ad and didnt know what year it was. I took it for a quick test drive came back and handed the $400 and thats were it started.

Then last winter we had a bad snow storm,there are a few XJs and another MJ in my neighborhood the jeep owners were about the only ones who could get out. my wife lost about two weeks of work because her Focus couldnt get out of the driveway.

So as soon as i could the Focus went away and i found her a Cherokee Limited.

Thats my Jeep story.

My first Jeep was a '47 CJ2A that I bought when I was 14. 10 (or so) Jeeps later I have my 89 MJ and an 05 TJ.

Jeeps that I have owned

47 CJ2A

78 J20

79 CJ5

72 Jeepster

85 CJ7

97 Grand Cherokee

89 Comanche

89 Cherokee

87 Cherokee

94 Cherokee

05 TJ

I really would like to find another CJ2A or a M38 to rebuild. First I have to find a house with a large enough shop!!

In 2002, I was 22 and I bought my 96' ZJ totaled. I put it together, drove it, wheeled it and loved it! Then, tax time that next year, I bought one for my wife. A totaled 1990 XJ Laredo. I have loved the MJ for as long as I can remember, and as it happened, My paint rep's dad had one that he wrecked, and couldn't afford to fix! I gave $500 for it, and started putting her together! I had a pretty substantial XJ parts pile laying around, and all I ended up Having to buy was a 35 dollar fender, and a 40 dollar bumper! I'm still chasing little gremlins on her, but she'll be my DD in the next month or so!

Got my first when I was 15, built it, and got it tip top before I was licsened up. Then started the revolution. It went in this order.

'86 MJ

'89 MJ

'89 MJ

'91 MJ

'97 Ram 2500

'84 Dodge Dipolmat Police Car

'83 CJ-8

'91 XJ

'98 ZJ Still have (DD)

'88 MJ

'96 XJ Still have

'90 MJ Still have

'93 XJ Still have

I had a brief affair with a Dodge 2500, but at least I kept it in the MOPAR family. I want to find another though. At 600 RWHP, I Blew the trans in the Diesel, bent all of the shafts, and didn't have the coin to fix it. Fell back into jeeps with the '91 XJ on the cheap, and liked the cheap nature of the Jeep I had remembered as compared to the bottomless abysmal moneypit a 3/4 ton Diesel truck can be. The ZJ is a all around great vehicle, and it being a limited, very comfortable :brows: . Now 22, I just require something with some tow capability. I think a 4.7L 5 speed Ram would fit the bill without breaking the bank at the moment.

Rob L.

I fell in love with Jeeps when I was really little and my mom had a 92 red XJ. I fell in love with MJ's when I was about 6 and I saw an MJ being used as a service truck. I thought it was pretty cool that there was a version of the Cherokee made into a truck. I wanted one ever since, and I bought one when I was 15.

My dad bought the 88 sport truck brand new, I was 8 at the time and thought it was the coolest truck ever! He put a big ol shell on it with the carpet kit so me and my brother were always hanging out in the back. When I turned 20(8 years ago) he gave it to me and I have been loving it ever since although my dad lives/baught it in Cali and I live in Colo, so it is a little akward for me to be driving around in a 2 wheel drive truck, but hopefully that will change soon. :D If I had the room I'd probly have 10 of them sitting out side, but alas, no more room(or so the wife says). :wall: