my jeep project

hey guys i thought id show ya a few pics of my alow developing mj its taking me a long time because I'm working outside and i couldnt work on it in the winter and I'm resrtoring another truck to but who cares about that...... the jeep is a 1988 comanche thats gonna have a 2.5 litre 4 cyl a 5 speed ( not sure antidisestablishmentarianism kind) and a dana 35 or 44 can't tell if anyone could hep id be very happy but here's some pics when i started it had bee siting for like 8 years ..

and after a day of work i got a rear end into it %20%20by%20the%20end%20of%20the%20day%20it%20looked%20like%20this%20

by now i have the rad suppourt and grille off aswell as all olines and hosed to the motor disconnecter and I'm gonna pull the motor /tranny out but i can't find the pics but anyway tell me what ya think

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh i forgot to put pics of the donor jeep ( the rear end sitting on the rfeame in t he first opic isnt the one in it its jusyt an old pice of crap dad saved )

the donor is a 88 with a 4.0 and a 5 speed with a bad clutch and is so risty we once jacked it up to take tiers off nad the frame broke!

Looks like lots of work!

Where I come from we would consider that old girl a parts truck just cause it would be easier to get something else already together... Hope you plan on spending lots of time to bring it back, do you have a bed for it? :thumbsup:

ive got to say I'm a very lucky kid ive got the jeep and ive got a 1981 chevy silverado that I'm redoing abit so I'm always workin on stuff mostly the chevy latly cuz i need sompthin to have on the road this summer/fall or whenever i get my license............

update time!! so latly i havnt been working in any of my trucks but me and dad have been clearing me an area to work on my jeep and store my parts jeeps.... so today i got enough brush cleaned out that i coule get 2 of them up in my spot so i took some pics. on the other side ive got a fender mocked up and a the old header sorta sittin there [/img] here's a pic of one of my donors ( the engine is comin out of this one )the frame broke one day while off roading. this is the rear end ive got n the one I'm re building (does anyone know antidisestablishmentarianism it is??) this is the truck i took the rear end outta might get a fender and door of it later. and this is the 81 chevy I'm also workin on IMGP0569.jpg

Supposedly a D35 will not hold up even with stock tires and no locker. I'm still running it (unlocked) with 33s because my new axle is not ready to go under yet, but expect to have to drive home from wheeling in 4wd (front wheel drive) one of these times.

But in any case, do not waste your money locking the D35. Sooner or later it will break regardless. Use the money you'd use for the locker and put it towards a new axle instead. Chrysler 8.25" from 97 and newer Cherokee is okay (29 spline), D44 from Comanche would be awesome, but hard to find. Ford 8.8" from Explorer (year?) is also good, but is an inch narrower and would need an adapter U-joint on the drive shaft. On the plus side, it's got disc brakes.

Pull-a-part junk yards charge $101 for a complete axle with disc brakes, $71 with drum brakes, $56 without brakes.

Or lock the front axle, like I did. $230 for an Aussie locker, can install it yourself.

thanks guys and your right ivan.... i want to start working on it but I'm waithing for fill to be delivered so i can get the trucks where i can work on em.oh and unfortunatly my trucks 2wd and I'm restoring mostly so i don't want to do a 4wd conversion ........but how hard is it to convert a mj anyway???

thanks guys and your right ivan.... i want to start working on it but I'm waiting for fill to be delivered so i can get the trucks where i can work on em.oh and unfortunately my trucks 2wd and I'm restoring mostly so i don't want to do a 4wd conversion ........but how hard is it to convert a mj anyway???

To 4WD you mean? Best way to do it is to acquire a 4WD and park it next to your jeep. everything is a bolt on/in. A fair amount of parts and sans major rust not overly hard job. FUN PROJECT!!! One thing though, be sure of the axle ratios. your donor should have same ratio as your jeep OR have better ratio and use both front and rear axles.

CW

I'm debating weather to convert it but I'm in school so i got no money(the jeeps were givin to me) and id like to restore the jeep but if i were to convert it to 4wd would i need to make a crossmember for the t case??? and how do you figure out axel ratios?

I'm debating weather to convert it but I'm in school so i got no money(the jeeps were givin to me) and id like to restore the jeep but if i were to convert it to 4wd would i need to make a crossmember for the t case??? and how do you figure out axel ratios?

There are many many small parts you will need, this is why I suggest a COMPLETE 4WD DONOR vehicle. Axle ratios are on a steel tag on ot near the diff cover. If thats rusted away you can trun the axle and count revolutions OR pull the diff cover and count the gear teeth.

CW

You can always go 4wd later down the road. As CW said, it's all bolt-in. So keep it 2wd for now, and you can convert later when you have the funds. It won't really change any plans you have for restoring it.

• 1 month later...

MAJOUR UPDATE TIME!!!! whew been way too long ....

anyway i took the front axel outta the blue jeep today and got 4 of those crappy painted steel rims togather for a straight up trtade with another comanche club member(tazjeeper) whose gunna give me a 4wd front end and 4 of the aluminum wheels that say jeep on them (sweet) were doin the trade on wendsday. i may also buy the dana 44 out of the same truck the front end is coming outof but i think for now I'm gunna regear the dana 35 and see how it works. I'm gunna have to get a tcase for the truck too. so if anyone remembers antidisestablishmentarianism ive been debating I'm now gunna make the thing 4wd! pics coming soon. :D 8) :typing:

okay i got some pics of the stuff I'm trading to tazjeeper here's the axel

and the rims

and where i got it out of

also more good news my uncle just gave me a t case out of a 70 sumpthin doge pick up that I'm goin to get tomorrow! YAY! :D :thumbsup: :banana: so after all this time of not doin anything with my jeep everything is coming together!