2WD Rant

thejum57

I LOVE my Comanche, but today with our snowstorm, I made it 3/4 of the way to work. When I started up the hill.....I just spun....there were 3 other vehicles in the same shape though. Unfortunately my truck is 2WD. I have 3- 5 gallon pails of sand in the bed for traction. The sand is the only way I got out, I thru a few shovel fulls under the rear wheels,I did a K turn...and went home. :mad:

I LOVE my Comanche, but today with our snowstorm, I made it 3/4 of the way to work. When I started up the hill.....I just spun....there were 3 other vehicles in the same shape though. Unfortunately my truck is 2WD. I have 3- 5 gallon pails of sand in the bed for traction. The sand is the only way I got out, I thru a few shovel fulls under the rear wheels,I did a K turn...and went home. :mad:

I'm in the same boat. I HATE 2WD....ITS THE MOST USELESSS THING IN A TRUCK!!!!!!!! :wall: i can't friggin wait to conert to 4x4 this summer hopefully

i hear ya on that. i had weight in mine it still sucked. i got stuck in my driveway 2 times thats with weight. that was just on storm. luckly ealier this year i scored a 90 zj for dirt cheap and using it tll spring and taking the 4x4 out and putting it in my truck. ill be glad i will have 4x4 again!! it works amazing in this crappy weather!!

My '88 2wd went anywhere this winter, even in 6" of snow. Lots of weight and thats about it. I did have some tire cables though, they worked very well when it got deeper. My tires were just some highway ones with about an 1/8" tread left. My gravel driveway is about a 35 degree angle (I don't know grade) up for about 50 yards, with about an inch of ice at any given time. Trick is definitely not to start the tires spinning, 2nd gear works really well in a manual if you spin it at about 2.5k rpm's and let it back off from there as you slip.

Just my 2 cents

My Ford never could get up the hill to work in snow the first year I had it. Had to walk the last mile I don't know how many times. Got a set of Wintermark snow tires on it and I made it when 4x4s on all season tires couldn't. Snow tires help, but GOOD snow tires make a world of difference.

This past winter with the same tires on my 4wd Comanche it was unstoppable by anything I tried to go through. The only thing that gave me a bit of trouble was a 4' pile of packed snow left by the snow plow, and eventually I went through it too.

These tires:

Don't be fooled by the fender emblem. I still have to switch them.

When we got hit with the April Fools day Blizzard in 1997, (3 feet of heavy snow overnight!)..........

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/April_Fool's_Day_blizzard

The April Fools' Day blizzard was a major winter storm in the Northeastern United States on March 31 and April 1, 1997. The storm dumped rain, sleet, and snow from Maryland to Maine leaving hundreds of thousands without power and as much as three feet of snow on the ground. Due to the date many people disregarded the storm warnings, believing them to be a hoax. However, this ended up being one of if not the greatest spring snowstorm ever to affect the northeastern United States, especially the Boston metropolitan area.

The 25.4 inches that fell at Boston's Logan International Airport (BOS) was the biggest April snowstorm in the city's history and made April 1997 the Boston's snowiest April on record (the previous record being a mere 13.3 inches). In the Allston/Brighton area totals of 30.1 inches were recorded. It also set a record for Boston's greatest April 24-hour snowfall. At the peak of the storm from about 11 pm March 31 to 3 am April 1 snow was falling at an almost unheard-of rate of three inches per hour. Numerous lightning strikes and thunderclaps accompanied the extremely heavy snow, which accumulated one foot in just that four hour period. This was too fast for road crews to keep up with, and roads became impassable. In fact, some of the narrow side streets of Boston were simply buried. No one had any hope of going anywhere, until road crews could remove the trememdous amount of snow, which took several days in many cases. Clearing the streets of so much snow resulted in huge piles remaining on street corners for days. These piles made driving difficult and also clogged many of the storm drains.

In addition to unpassable streets and avenues for cars and trucks; Boston's rapid transit system (MBTA,)also known as the "T", could not run on its above ground rails. Many trains, especially on the Green line failed at traffic lights and uphill grades. Major crosstown arteries such as Commonwealth Avenue and Beacon and Huntington streets were blocked.

Not only was the snow falling at an incredibly fast rate, but the snow was very heavy and wet, which caused tree limbs and even whole trees to come down. Some fell on power lines, and many lost power. Many ski areas also benefited from the snowfall. Hunter Mountain received 37 inches of snow.

My 2wd longbed MJ made it 15 miles each way to work that day :cheers:

4.25" lift, 31" (crappy) mud tires, and the whole bed filled with concreteblocks snow & ice.

Tail was dragging, but it made all the difference.

FWIW, no one asked, but TrXus MT's are amazing in the snow.

4x4 XJ w/ 31" TrXus made this storm a cakewalk. jamminz.gif

My wife's 07 Grand Caravan has studded winter tires and it grips awesome, I'm a little embarrassed to admit that it sticks as good or better (really better) than the 31" BFG muds on the XJ, But that's only on ice or hard packed snow, and that's because its an XJ and not an MJ, and no they're not alike!!!! No matter if I had racing slicks greased with crisco and hog fat on ice, My Manche would always stick better! jamminz.gif

This winter has been pretty weak in the Rockies frontrange (we're at 7,100 ft), we have had a couple of really bad days....I spent a few years up in Fairbacks also, drove my old 65 Mustang with siped performance tires all winter long. Got a little experience on slippery roads.

my vote for traction goes:

1. Drive the MJ - of course

2. Chains (real ones - not the cable type, come apart too easy), I guess they all do if you drive too fast. Taking these on and off can go quick if you turn it into a drill and rehearse it once in a while, also use extra tensioners, more the merrier as long as they are secure. Use the right size chains and cut the extra links off. Chains that are too big will tear the hell out of your wheel wells, take a look at my XJ sometime.

3. Studded Mud type Tires, my BFG MTs and MT Baja Claws don't have the little holes for studs, but I've got a Mud King that is studdable, I think that might be the way to go for all around drive-ability in crappy weather, still not better traction than chains.

4. Regular Mud type tires, good for snow, decent on ice. Skinnier the better, wide tires float, skinny ones dig.

5. Winter specific tires with lots of bitting edges.

6. Any type tire with lots of weight in the back - cool man type stuff in the bed like sand, lumber, tools, more tools, chainsaws, cases of beer, welding equipment, guns, or stacks of Popular Mechanic Magazines and those old Time Life Fighter Jet Books.

N/A - soapbox.gif I know this may be debatable, as everything I just wrote, (I'm a certified mechanic by shade tree only),,,, BFG TAs or any other All Terrain tire are really street tires. IMHO, they stink on ice, snow, or mud and are overrated for off-road use. On that same token though, mud tires have a lot of challenges on wet roads and I for one will never use General Grabbers again! Once upon a time, I rear ended a Suburban in the XJ on I-5 on a rainy December Tacoma day, another car spun out in front of the 'Burb, she stopped, I couldn't and slid right into her at about 30 mph....My wife still reminds me that I tried to evade to the left and smashed her side of the Ch'reekee instead of mine. :brows: I told her, "Baby I had to go left, do you know how much it costs to replace an airbag?" :smart: Also, our first child was a 6-day old infant in the back seat with the mother in law, The baby was ok, she never even woke up, the Mother in Law got a sore knee :yes: I blame the tires - The compound on those tires was as hard as a freakin rock and in that situation I should have been able to stop but just kept sliding.

Bottom line, ATs on Snow, Ice, or Mud aren't so good, neither are Mud Tires on rainy roads, and when you're on a slippery surface: SLOW DOWN!

All this talk about snow reminds me why I bought the MJ for $900..."Baby this will be perfect to plow with, this truck doesn't need anything else, I'll make at least 5K plowing driveways around here this winter" Eight months later,,,,after finding this website and blowing (I mean investing) 5K in the MJ,,,, I still haven't plowed a single driveway except mine.... but I've got a really cool truck now! :banana:

TrXus MT's are amazing in the snow.

i agree thats what i run

the little slits in the tread grab ice pritty good to :cheers:

I continue to be shocked at how great they are in DEEP snow.

Not so great in the Rain (OK, but not great), but unfriggenreal in deep snow.

Previous poster mentioned BFG MT's.

I am just as amazed how BAD BFG MT's were in the same exact deep snow.

At one time I had 32" BFG's on my XJ, and these 31" TrXus's on the gf's ZJ.

Both parked in the same driveway, 2' of snow overnight (3-4 years ago).

ZJ pulled right up, and over the fresh snow.

XJ couldn't move even one inch.

Backed ZJ up to XJ's bumper (easily), crushing all the snow between the XJ & the street.

XJ STILL wouldn't move one inch.

Even after (hand) pushing the XJ into the ZJ's parking spot, the XJ clawed, and scratched at the snow, and barely pulled out.

I ended up just driving the ZJ, and now the XJ gets the TrXus in the winter. :D

my 67 f250 is ausome in the snow. I'm just running open diffs and have nearly bald tires but that thing sticks right to the road in the snow and ice. maybe cuz it weighs 6000 lbs but i never run chains on it or anything.

All this talk about snow reminds me why I bought the MJ for $900..."Baby this will be perfect to plow with, this truck doesn't need anything else, I'll make at least 5K plowing driveways around here this winter" Eight months later,,,,after finding this website and blowing (I mean investing) 5K in the MJ,,,, I still haven't plowed a single driveway except mine.... but I've got a really cool truck now! :banana:

I have used a similar line on my wife with the same results. That's great :clapping:

Well I have 4x4 in my 89 and with the 231 command trac it isnt any better. It sends all the power to whatever wheel is slipping so the tires that actually have traction don't move :fs1: I had to put it back into 2wd to get moving. Once i was moving the 4wd was nice tho. I plan to swap in a 242 since my truck is mainly used on the road. I was gonna bid on one last night but forgot and it sold for $38 :wall:

Get some better tires. :D Snow tires can make all the difference in the world when it's slick out. :thumbsup:

Yep! Beeing in snowland I would know. :Canadaflag:

My 2 daily rides are back wheel drive and I don't mind. The wallet does but I don't put a price on safety and driveability.