Project JDMJ... tube flares and new paint

I started this a while ago, but my last job sent me out of town for almost a year, so I haven't had time to work on it. I got a new job that actually keeps me in the area now so I have finally been able to finish up the build.

I picked up a bare bones stripped out MJ body for $50 to start with.

Inside is fairly solid, needs a little bit of metal replaced, but its mostly surface rust.

The plan is:

JDMJ - (John Deere MJ, thats the color its getting painted)

88 MJ Long Bed,

HP30 with 4.56's, alloys, warn hubs, ARB

29 Spline 8.25, alloys, powertrax noslip and disks

Warn XD9000i

RK 3 link with 6" coils

6" SUA (due to the torque from the motor)

4.6l stroker

aw4

231 with sye

Custom cage

most of the donor parts will be from my XJ that I will be scrapping.

Cleaned up the floor to see what I was working with. Not too bad, but I have a couple patches to weld in.

Lots of wiring mess behind the dash to keep track of.

Got the dash and center console installed in the MJ and the seats are resting in there. The seat brackets are different, so I need to modify the brackets a bit to get them to work.

Got the rest of the front end stuff on the XJ out and transferred everything over but the header panel, gonna wait till the motor is in for that. Which should be next weekend. Got the rest of the wiring swapped over, reconnected and attached it all to the sheet metal.

The remainder of the XJ

The beginning of the MJ

Made some more progress, got the motor/trans/tcase and brake lines swapped over. Had a little issue with the crossmember, apparently the XJ and MJ trans crossmember mount in a different position, so I'll need to make some new mounting points for it.

Should be able to get the wiring reconnected and the cooling system plumbed again in the next day or two and have the motor running.

Since the crossmember mounted different, I made some frame plates to mount everything too..

Got the interior installed and completed. Gonna have to pull it back out to herculine the floor and install the cage.

The "new" door and tail gate.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Made the control arm mounts to push the axle forward from where it used to be by about 2". Looks pretty good to me.

When you working by yourself and need to move the body when the steering is not attached to line up the trackbar its amazing what you come up with. :D

just a couple more pics

And a piece inside my floor jack cracked off, so I am currently without a way to raise up the jeep, so the stock cprings stay in it for another week. I measured the new ones to compare, the rear will sit about 6.5" higher than it currently does, so it shoul dhave a nice rake to it.

and even picked up a tail gate in good shape.

Got a little done today, got the rear axle and springs taken out of the XJ. Had to hack up the frame to get the seized bolts out. Got the new springs in the MJ along with the XJ axle. And I got the drivers door aligned properly and installed. Also made it so its easy to remove, just have to lift it up while its open.

Got the gas tank installed, all new lines ran, brake lines bent up and installed, brakes are bled, pedal feels 10 times better than it did in the XJ. Bought another set of tires too, didn't like the way the BFG's looked, they had a couple small cracks in them.

Just have a few small things left to do, but I never got around to doing them. Got the tank plumbed, the rear bumper built, and all the nuts and bolts tightened down and a coat of rattle can paint on it.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

and an overall picture..

Image Not Found

When the weather is warm again, I am going to buy a gallon of the same color green paint and a spray gun and lay down a nice coat or two of paint on it.

Everything seems to be working, I have about 30 miles on it so far, going to get the tires balanced after work tomorrow and then start driving it everyday to get some miles on it before the first trip offroad

Once it gets a few trips on it I plan on doing some more work to it. I want to bob the bed about 15" and possibly dovetail it too. Eventually this thing is going to be my 1 ton buggy. Not for another 4 or 5 years though, but eventually the plans are minimal body, lots of tube and some 40's. jamminz.gif

i like bobbed and dovetailed. :thumbsup: here are some pics of my old 'yota. i know it would be a bit more work on a 'manche because of the inner and outer sheet metal, but maybe you can get some ideas from it.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

• 8 months later...

I always liked the look of the newer XJ front ends on MJ's so I decided to swap mine over. Got most of the parts dirt cheap locally, had to buy a couple online though.

I also switch to synthetic winch line and a hawse fairlead.

Before:

After:

what do ya think?

its got a 4.7l stroker in it, I built it 3 or 4 years ago, still running strong, but with the upgrade in tire size, i feel like i want to regear again.

the cage is a d&c extreme cage for an xj that was slightly modified to fit. I'm not done with it yet, but the inside of the cab portion is complete.

I'm heading out of town for work in the morning, when I get back I'll post some more pics of the cage and of the motor build. :D

haven't done electric fans yet, I don't see a need too. the stock ones are working great and I don't go through too much mud/water with it that I would need to shut them off.

The reason its Blue XJ is from my last Jeep.. Most of the parts on the MJ are from it actually..