some CB questions

ok i will be adding a cb to my rig and i was wondering what you guys run for antennas and where/how you mount them. i was thinking the corner of the rear bumper, driver side. i will also be running an older cb i found at my grandfathers( if it works) and where do you get your stuff? thanks jamminz.gif

I got my antenna, spring and cable from the local hobby/electronics shop. After snapping off 2 fiberglass ones, I finally learned my lesson and added a spring base to my new 102" whip. Shoulda done that from the start. :roll:

I got my antenna, spring and cable from the local hobby/electronics shop. After snapping off 2 fiberglass ones, I finally learned my lesson and added a spring base to my new 102" whip. Shoulda done that from the start. :roll:

I got all the CB\Antenna\Cable stuff for my TJ at http://www.walcottcb.com/ Was a good place to deal with and I'm happy with all the stuff I got from there... I just ordered a spring and new Firestik for my TJ since I busted the other mount off when we were on the Goat Trail where I flopped the TJ...

I currently have a 4 footer mounted in the stock radio antenna mount, but can't get the SWR down below 3. A 102" fiberglass whip does work great there (SWR of 1.4), but looks like crap because it sticks up like 11 or 12 feet or so in the air. If I can't find a shorter antenna that works in that location I think I'll tie some fishing line to the tip of the tall one and run it to the corner of the rear bumper. Kind of the opposite look Pete's got going.

yeah saying 20 ft is kinda pushing it I think, cause that 11 ft mvusse has looks more like the hight of the humvees..

Pete that looks pretty sweet like you have it there.

And to the camjeep3 whatever you decide please don't put a tennis ball on your choice that just looks cheezy to me.. not to offend neone but it really looks 363ghey.gif

If you dye the tennis ball black or buy a black racket (sp?) ball, you won't even notice it.

I have some used Black Raquetballs if anyone is interested...(they get kind of chalky grey after user, but mostly still black).

there is a few things to keep in mind when putting a radio in you truck it is best to find a cb shop your local truck stop can point you in the proper direction there. things like coax cable length anntena placement anntena type radio power all help in having a dependable radio that gets out more than 10 ft. on my jeep i have a 4 ft fibreglass anntena off of a pete i used to drive and run the standard 18 ft of coax and my radio is a uniden pc 78 thats been bumped up to 42 watts peak so it works great gets out about 10 miles ;)

I'm running a cobra 29 peaked out to somewhere in the 25 range i think, wiht a 102" whip mounted where you're talking about.

if i was you i'd mount it on the passenger side, it sucks in drivethru's (i go through the same one every morning, it gets old)

but i get out fairly well, i think 18ft of cable with a beehive mount and a homemade stiffener coming off the tailgate latch so it doesn't flop around as much as it would.

I got all the CB\Antenna\Cable stuff for my TJ at http://www.walcottcb.com/ Was a good place to deal with and I'm happy with all the stuff I got from there... I just ordered a spring and new Firestik for my TJ since I busted the other mount off when we were on the Goat Trail where I flopped the TJ...

Walcott's shop is hella cool too.

I just put in a Cobra 29 and a Firestik tunable tip (it screws in and out) 4' antenna on our pos Dodge at work and I think that is one of the best setups for the money.

On the 102" antennas I would get stainless steel, not fiberglass (they like to split after a while) and they can be bought at Radio Shack. Keep in mind that if you go on many trail rides, that antenna is not very popular, and in some cases not allowed. :mad:

I got that antenna at radio Shack. They were discontinuing it, and changed the price in their computer system to $0. So I got on the phone and called every store within driving distance until I found one that has two of them. I drover over, bought them (for $0) and drove home. And this was back when gas was still cheap. They have been sitting in a corner ever since.

Walcott's shop is hella cool too.

I just put in a Cobra 29 and a Firestik tunable tip (it screws in and out) 4' antenna on our pos Dodge at work and I think that is one of the best setups for the money.

On the 102" antennas I would get stainless steel, not fiberglass (they like to split after a while) and they can be bought at Radio Shack. Keep in mind that if you go on many trail rides, that antenna is not very popular, and in some cases not allowed. :mad:

Why are the 102" not popular and/or not allowed?

Excellent point BMP4X4. MANY club and club run events do not allow 102" steel whips, for safety reasons. Even tied down ones. Yea, they can rally get moving and our sport is becoming more and more a spectator sport. With people, kids and don't forget your spotter in close proximity to our moving vehicles. They can take an eye out right quick!!!

BUT, IMHO, they offer the best reception out on the road. When mounted in a spring or "beehive" mount work pretty well with lo garages and drive-thrus.

Be sure of your grounds and proper antenna mounting. Oh, get the SWR checked. The lower the better. Two schools of thought on that... Set it at the center channel and live with it where its not so good. Or set it to perfect at your primary channel. Neither is wrong, I prefer the former.

CW

They are not quite as flexible. Personally, I would steer clear of these as well... See, they are not nearly as durable and shatter from repeated impacts. If you go thru many lo structures, you will "rub" thru to the fiberglass and the center wire will be come exposed. Then they are trash as they will no longer be 102".

The other nice thing with all the 102"s, there is no need to set SWR. It is what it is!! It's usually ALL GOOD. Like jamminz.gif I said before, be conscious of your ground and mount with a adequate ground plane and this antenna will provide you with your best reception.

CW

Any ex como GI's here?? I wonder if the fiberglass antennas used on Humvee's would work for a CB... I know those things were like 20 ft long..

Nopethey won't work. The connections are all J cables that run through the mount. Though I am going to work on one of the magnetic GPS antennas.

Mine is getting mounted in the bed right behind the cab. the PNW is pretty tough on stuff and i have broke or lost 3 the as many years with them mounted on the tail of my TJ.