Wheeling day 3 started with Hell's Revenge. Besides Hell's Gate and Escalator, Deb drove the whole thing.

The descent to Hell's Gate.

The ascent up Hell's Gate.

The Escalator. Last time I tried this was in our last XJ. I laid it on it's side and ended up winching out. I really didn't expect to make it up this time, but didn't have any trouble at all.

Tip Over Challenge.

That evening we drove up to the overlook on Moab Rim. This is looking up at Little Arch, which is accessed by Poison Spider Mesa.

Willy

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wheeling day 4 was spent on Cliffhanger.

We found the cliff.

Only two of us were willing to go this far, so we turned around and went to the overlook.

Looking down on the start of Poison Spider Mesa.

Willy

Wheeling day 5 started on Porcupine Rim. Everybody in our club started home this day, so we wheeled with some friends that met us in Moab.

We went back to Poison Spider Mesa that afternoon.

This is Little Arch. The same arch seen across the river from Moab Rim. If you stand in the right spot you can see the beginning of Moab Rim through the arch.

After this we hit the road. The MJ came along for the ride, but spent the next week on the trailer.

Willy

Dang man! Saw you Monday morning and never again! :( We had a blast, Hells Revenge, Poison Spider, Golden Spike, Gold Bar Rim, Pritchet, Behind The Rocks, and Moab Rim.

here's my video going up Escalator...

Looks like when I went up in our last XJ...except I didn't have a front locker.

I wish I would have caught up with you more. We had way too much down time where everybody just wanted to sit around camp and do nothing. Pritchet Canyon and Behind the Rocks were on my list to do but I couldn't find anybody to go with me. :roll:

Willy

any complaints on that steering? I have everything but that bracket, might just order it! jamminz.gif I wanted crossover but didnt feel like piecing together a WJ set-up.

No complaints at all. It has held up well. I had some initial concerns that some of the bolts might work loose with all the stresses encountered with a steering bracket, but nothing yet. I thought about the WJ set up too, but this seemed like a much simpler route.

Willy

You're at about 5.5" of lift right? Do you think that steering bracket would work for me with 2.5-3" of lift? I was looking into the WJ knuckle also, but I love the simplicity of that bracket.

Probably a little more than that. They are Rusty's 4.5" springs with 1 3/4" spacers.

I don't see why it wouldn't work. As long as you are aware - which I'm sure you are - of the interference with the sway bar bracket and the need to move the track bar over the axle. This is probably the best picture I've got of everything finished. Subtract a few inches from it and I still don't think you'd have any contact issues with the passenger side unirail, etc.

Willy

• 1 month later...

Yesterday was our club's annual Christmas tree run. We got off to a slow start as we searched all the local auto stores for a TPS. When we finally found one we quickly changed it and caught up with the rest of our group who had already started breaking trail. We had some great weather, great views, and the snow packed nicely. It was a blast to get out and play in the snow. :D

Breaking trail.

More pics here.

Willy

• 3 months later...
i swear ive seen your truck out in eatonville,wa a few times within the last 2 years

Quite possible. It is on my way to Elbe. :thumbsup:

There is also another blue MJ in the area. I see it at Elbe occasionally and usually see him at Snow Jam every year.

Willy

• 2 weeks later...

I noticed some deflection in the track bar bracket. Time to make a brace and give it some support.

I wanted to prevent the brace from acting as a pivot so I used two mounting bolts on both the front and back of the track bar bracket.

I also didn't want the bolts to be the only thing that prevented deflection. The flat section of the angle iron overlaps a flat section of the bracket.

Time to bend some tube. I'm relatively new to round tube so there was a lot of trial fitting and trips back and forth to the grinder and bender before I was happy with it.

Willy