• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

I hate rust.

After doing this during the last trip I decided it was time to get rid of the floor board sponge.

There has been a hole below the fuse box on the driver's side for quite a while. It was on my list to get around to one of these days. Now is the time. There are several other pin holes in various locations.

The passenger side also had a few pin holes.

Found a few sections in need of patching and opened some holes.

Before I scrapped my XJ I cut out the floor boards in anticipation of this day. Made a few patch panels from my XJ pieces.

Closing the holes. I'm not great at welding thin sheet metal, but I seem to be doing a good enough job to keep out the elements. :D

I need to finish welding the patches and pin holes. I also need to order some POR 15, then bed line the floors.

Willy

its a PITA to weld that thin floor.

There was a lot of experimentation with the voltage and wire feed knobs - and plenty of burn through. :D My fingers were cramping from all the short trigger pulls. It's not pretty, but should keep the draft out. Restoration quality is definitely not the goal.

Willy

• 4 weeks later...

Last week was spent scrambling to put everything back together and go wheeling. This trip was to a fairly new trail that nobody in our club had been to on the Olympic Peninsula - Sadie Creek. Finding information about this trail wasn't exactly easy, but I'd never been and I'm always up for exploring. The little information we could find gave us the impression that it was a fairly short trail and wouldn't entertain us for long. Fortunately it was quite the opposite. It was somewhere around 5 1/2 miles of tight wheeling with incredible scenery. This is definitely a place we will return.

The gatekeeper.

We even squeezed a 4 door JK through - but we did have to remove a door in one spot.

I can see Canada from my Jeep! :roll:

It was tighter than this in one spot, but we were all too busy to remember to get the cameras. :ack:

There were a couple of sections that appeared to follow an old railroad bed.

Opposite of Canada were the Olympic Mountains.

Another overlook with a view of Canada.

We ended up exploring some back roads and finding some forest service roads that lead us to Murdock Beach.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Our original plan was to hike to a couple of waterfalls in Olympic National Park on Sunday. The rain didn't cooperate, so we made a side trip to Fort Worden in Port Townsend on the way home. Very cool place.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

More Sadie Creek pics here.

More Murdock Beach pics here.

More Fort Worden pics here.

Willy

I'd love to get some more info on that trail. Like how to get there.

It is a few miles west of the tiny town of Joyce, WA off 112. In the background of some of the gate keeper photos you can see 112.

Willy

• 3 weeks later...

Saturday was a beautiful day spent at the junk yard. Found a few things for both of our MJs. Found some real mirrors, turn signals, and headlight/turn signal bezels for this one. Picked up some fixed vent windows and a multi-function switch for the '91. Found a few other goodies that weren't needed, but couldn't pass up - a Kevin's Offroad track bar bracket, JKS adjustable track bar, and Deb found a vintage gas can. Then, on the way home, we stopped by a garage sale and found a set of Simpson 4 point harnesses for $50.

Last night I installed the mirrors. The only XJs at the junk yard with intact mirrors were chrome. :ack: Out came the sand paper and paint in an attempt to cover the hideous chrome plastic. We'll see how long the paint holds up. :D

Now I've got to figure out how to remove the old passenger side mirror. It is a different style that what was on the driver's side. I'm attempting not to destroy it so that I can put it on the '91.

Willy

• 3 weeks later...

Last weekend was our annual Liberty trip. We had great weather almost the entire weekend. The scenery was incredible and we had a great time.

This spot gave a couple of the short wheelbase guys some trouble.

More pics here.

Willy

• 3 weeks later...

Had an incredible time at Trail Jamboree last week. Great views, great wheeling, and a busted ring gear. It was just the dog and I so not many pictures of the MJ.

The damage. Time for a D44.

Our group also had a broken leaf spring...

...yoke strap bolt...

...and twisted the frame and body enough to separate the steering shaft at the steering box.

We also had a spring break on a CJ-5 that holds the shift lever in place.

More pics here.

Willy

dang I have an XJ D44 I would trade for that 8.8 Ected locker, but its in Texas. :(

The 8.8 ECTED seems to be working pretty well. Much better than the D30 ever did. I have no desire to get rid of it until it starts giving me problems. :thumbsup:

Willy

as long as I can afford rent! :D I'm going for a permanent change. :thumbsup: We're hitting up the Rubicon in August with NAXJA, and then of course Moonrocks, and some other local trails here pretty soon.

We're in early discussions for a Rubicon trip next summer. Want to be our tour guide?

Willy

Some friends got some great shots at Trail Jamboree. Most of the MJ shots were taken the two days before Jamboree as we were pre-running the trails. I broke halfway through the first official day of Jamboree. :doh:

I thought this was a great sequence as we busted through the snow drifts.

This was the drift that turned us back. We knew we weren't getting a group of 15 rigs through here without constant winching and an overnight stay. Nobody else was interested in trying, so of course I had to. :yes: Going up...

...and over...

Had to winch back up the other side.

View from the top.

Going up the crack at Funny Rocks.

The first official day of Trail Jamboree. This is what ended my day. :shake:

Picture%20046.jpg

Here we are removing the inner shafts so we can get it back to camp.

Moab trying to help.

Willy