The recovery XJ was also a work of art. The knocking rod was like a symphony providing the background music to this production.......using his tow hook that is bolted where the front sway bar once was.

I like the reciever tube on his front bumper too! :nuts:

I'm guessing it is for his portable winch with dedicated battery. :yes: You should have seen the thing wobble when he leaned on it to attach the strap. :eek:

Willy

• Replies 897
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you have an incredibly brave dog :D and what rear end do you have under your mj? :???:

His @$$ has been a little sore the past couple days.

It is a Ford 8.8.

Willy

I thught that was a ford rear end. Love your stuff man. Actually the first time i got on comanche club i read your build on this mj and thats what got me started on comanche club :D very nice truck :thumbsup:

you have an incredibly brave dog :D and what rear end do you have under your mj? :???:

His @$$ has been a little sore the past couple days.

It is a Ford 8.8.

Willy

I thught that was a ford rear end. Love your stuff man. Actually the first time i got on comanche club i read your build on this mj and thats what got me started on comanche club :D very nice truck :thumbsup:

Thank you. I am a very inspiring...and modest person. :yes: :thumbsup:

Willy

• 1 month later...

Saturday was a beautiful day for wheeling. This trip was to Evan's Creek. This is the first time we had been there that you could actually see Mt. Rainier. It has been cloudy every other time. Besides a few transmission problems we had a great day.

On the way.

More pics here.

Willy

• 1 month later...

Last weekend was spent exploring mines and wheeling the beautiful mountains around Liberty, WA. We ran across a great local guy who gave us a tour of his thousands of feet of mine tunnels. He was incredibly gracious. It was amazing to see his mine and we were very grateful for his hospitality.

The entrance to his mine. This is within a couple hundred feet of the highway. Driving by or even standing next to the entrance you would have no idea what is behind the door.

One of his sluice boxes.

Decaying ore car tracks were found in most of the tunnels.

His neighbor was even nice enough to show us what he found the day before.

The area is covered in claims - both abandoned and current. We came across this old shaft not far from camp. It is surrounded by scars left behind from hydraulicking. This hillside was littered with depressions that are quite likely caved adits.

We also found this hoisting contraption right outside the shaft.

I spotted this mine shortly after we hit our first trail.

A short hike rewarded us with an interesting find.

There was a second, flooded shaft just down the hill.

This hill provided quite the challenge. I ended up winching most of the way up. A couple of rigs took the bypass, then we had a flop at the bottom of the hill. Once he was righted a light rain made the bypass almost impassable. This hill ended up claiming a motor mount and a hard top.

We were almost to the end of the last trail Sunday when we were greeted with that distinctive D35 sound.

No spares, so we had to get creative.

I was surprised how far that branch made it. When it decided to give up everything we found was rotten.

Then somebody noticed the Hi-Lift.

We got him to the end of the trail and were able to bring a trailer for recovery.

More pics here.

Willy

• 4 weeks later...

Some pics from a couple of weekends ago. Spent the weekend at Evan's Creek as the campground hosts. The weather was great the whole weekend and it made for some incredible views of Mt. Rainier.

Friday night at camp.

Not a good place to stop.

More pics here.

Willy

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got around to doing something with the front license plate. Since switching to the hawse fairlead there hasn't been a good place to mount it. So far we got away with having it in the window. Some angle iron, shock bushings, thumb screws, and miscellaneous hardware come up with this.

Now it is no longer sliding around on the dash. :D

Willy

• 4 weeks later...

I've been using two late model XJ fans with pretty good success, but I always keep my eye open at the pull a part for something that may add a little extra cooling. I finally found something that looked like it would fit a couple of weeks ago in a '90s era Mazda MPV. Looks like it must have only been included with specific engines/options as there were a couple other MPVs around that didn't have this fan.

I bent up some brackets and slightly trimmed the grill and grill support in a few places.

Willy

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

We spent the first half of October on a tour of Utah and Nevada. The first week was spent in Moab on the trails. The second week we hit several national parks and monuments - Capitol Reef, Grand Staircase-Escalante, Bryce Canyon, Cedar Breaks, Zion, and Great Basin - as well as other attractions.

The MJ ran great, but we did have some issues with the tow rig on the way there. We picked up some bad fuel somewhere through the years that clogged the lift pump in Baker City, OR. We were incredibly lucky to find a Dodge dealer that had a new pump in stock and was able to replace it for us on a Saturday morning. We were set back about half a day. But, we were originally going to be there a day before everybody else so we didn't miss anything. Besides that we had a trailer tire that developed a bubble and was replaced in Idaho.

Our first day of wheeling started on Fins 'N Things.

That evening we went to Poison Spider Mesa.

We didn't make if far before a storm came through and chased all but three of us off the trail.

After some initial wind and light rain, we were greeted with this. Yes, a "double complete rainbow".

Willy