Making XJ buckets work in a MJ

What all changed with seats of a newer year? Theres a few good sets of seats from newer XJ's and plenty of good ZJ ones around here but my fabrication skills suck right now.. I can't find any cheap older sets in half decent condition. Do the newer seat cushions bolt to the seat rails the same way the older ones do or did they change the bolt spacing and everything?

• 2 years later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Newer seats have a flat base and mount pattern on the seat. The earlier seats were curved on the seat frame and pan.

I've swapped both 2dr and 4dr XJ seats from 89 up to a 94 with nothing more than unboting the seat bracket from the seat itself and swapping them over.

I do have a set of the double adjustable XJ brackets I want to modify at some point to put in the MJ though.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/27/2018 at 6:25 PM, Rend said:

Sure wish there was a video for doing this but beggars can't be choosers! Any info is always helpful :thumbsup:

well, when you do it, shoot a video to share!  :L:  someone needs to be first.

I’m stripping my MJ completely to do a full restoration/modification.

Have 2 partout XJ’s (-88 Laredo and -92 Limited) which I’m trying to pick XJ parts in order to improve the MJ.

I started with the leather/power seats from the -92 Limited, to see if I could use them in the MJ.

It turned out to be much easier than first expected.

I seat height difference is not more then 0,5-1,5 inches in lowest position (depends where I measure), so the XJ buckets with full power functions will definitely go in my MJ.

Some pic's what I did with the el. power frame, and some comparising with the stock MJ bucket.

Bear with me if my English grammar is sometimes bad, I’m from Norway.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 year later...
On 1/22/2008 at 9:25 PM, JeepcoMJ said:

same way I do it. but...

if you can slide the rail out, why not just disassemble both slide rails, and simply slide the comanche one in...seems like a no-weld method would be the way to go..

think that would work? I've never attempted to get those apart.

I think these are the rivets that need to be drilled out to make this happen. They seem to keep the wheel  on the track from going past them.

I bought a pair of '88 2 door seat with the brackets that tilt for $80 at the  JY  without either measuring my bracket or the XJ  I was getting it from thinking its an '88 Loerdo like my MJ if it doesn't fit, how hard could it be?

Starting with the passenger seat. 

Has anyone else tried this?

IMG_3333.JPG

IMG_3334.JPG

IMG_3335.JPG

I drilled that out and then made a plate that bolted to the MJ bracket. Worked really well to keep the sliders. I might have pictures. Let me check 

here’s my suggestion. Make the sliders bolt to a plate since they are gonna be a little wider then the my ones. And just weld the plate to the my bracket. Mine bolted but is in necessary