mfpdm

Making XJ buckets work in a MJ

What all changed with seats of a newer year? Theres a few good sets of seats from newer XJ's and plenty of good ZJ ones around here but my fabrication skills suck right now.. I can't find any cheap older sets in half decent condition. Do the newer seat cushions bolt to the seat rails the same way the older ones do or did they change the bolt spacing and everything?

Newer seats have a flat base and mount pattern on the seat. The earlier seats were curved on the seat frame and pan.

I've swapped both 2dr and 4dr XJ seats from 89 up to a 94 with nothing more than unboting the seat bracket from the seat itself and swapping them over.

I do have a set of the double adjustable XJ brackets I want to modify at some point to put in the MJ though.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

On 10/21/2017 at 2:19 PM, Strokermjcomanche said:

They are spot welded too , you should be able to see a little dimple where it was welded

I know on the mj brackets but the xj ones too?

2 hours ago, Strokermjcomanche said:

Yep 

Dang, I will check them again this week. Hopefully that's the case

On 9/27/2018 at 6:25 PM, Rend said:

Sure wish there was a video for doing this but beggars can't be choosers! Any info is always helpful :thumbsup:

well, when you do it, shoot a video to share!  :L:  someone needs to be first.

I’m stripping my MJ completely to do a full restoration/modification.

Have 2 partout XJ’s (-88 Laredo and -92 Limited) which I’m trying to pick XJ parts in order to improve the MJ.

I started with the leather/power seats from the -92 Limited, to see if I could use them in the MJ.

It turned out to be much easier than first expected.

I seat height difference is not more then 0,5-1,5 inches in lowest position (depends where I measure), so the XJ buckets with full power functions will definitely go in my MJ.

Some pic's what I did with the el. power frame, and some comparising with the stock MJ bucket.

Bear with me if my English grammar is sometimes bad, I’m from Norway.

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

4.JPG

5.JPG

6.JPG