Hood Vent Install

I decided to take the hood off and do it off the vehical. After some debate, I decided it would be better to draw the lines on the bottom side so I knew exactly where I was cutting in relation to the supports.

I decided to go with Chrysler LeBaron Turbo vents. These are very common on the XJ's, and I liked the looks of them more than any other's that I had seen. I used the same paint (semi-flat black) that I used on my rock rails, and rear quarter guards.

I stripped the hood of the material on the inside, and removed my engine light.

100_1164.jpg

I than placed some tape in the area I was going to be working in. I did not want to scratch the hood (yes it's the inside but still...). This would also allow me to draw my lines where I needed to cut.

100_1165.jpg

I than placed the vents where I thought they looked and fit best.

100_1166.jpg

I than placed the vent on the hood, and traced it with a pen.

100_1167.jpg

Now, you'll NOT want to cut on these lines, as if I did I would of cut to big of a hole. I measered aprox 3/8" inside of this line and drew another line.

I also decided that since I was going to be cutting from the backside, I probally should place some tape on the other side to help prevent chipping.

100_1168.jpg

It's no turning back now. :thumbsup:

I started out with a dremel tool, but it was just not going fast enough. So I turned to the jigsaw.

100_1169.jpg

100_1170.jpg

One side done, one side to go...

100_1171.jpg

And the other side done.

100_1172.jpg

I had to make up some brackets. I ended up using 1/2 x 3/4 angle, and aprox 1.5" long. I than drilled a hole in the center of the 3/4 side for the bolt. I used stainless hardware, to prevent rusting in the future.

One side installed.

100_1173.jpg

Both installed, a view from the top.

100_1174.jpg

And than re-installed the hood.

100_1175.jpg

100_1176.jpg

100_1177.jpg

Overall I'm pritty happy with the results. This should work good with my new cooling system I'll be putting in. I did ditch the hood spacer's for the moment. They will probally go back in once I start trying to fit the supercharger in for clearance.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Well since this thread is alive once again, and it seems I never posted mine up, here are a few shots of mine. I followed LEAD's method but improved upon it so that you don't need the brackets but just leave some tabs on the hood and bend those. And as far as rain goes, water doesn't effect anything for me. Not sure what it might cause on a pre-'91 though.

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

Image Not Found

~Alex

• 1 month later...

where was that made ? looks kinda cool .

i would be careful for anyone doing this with a renix , as the TPS does not like water .

Nice job :thumbsup: , but doesn’t rain in Indiana? I don’t get it… :shake: If you didn’t worry about soaking your engine compartment I would go with one of these:

I saw that receiver on the hood and sure would like to see and hear more about that GPS unit...

Great writeups on this DIY project. I'd be concerned with water getting into the engine compartment though, and had a thought. What about using some thin sponge foam, like what they use in Uni foam air filters, with metal straps that can be secured by the bolts on the underside? It would still let the engine compartment "breathe", but not let as much water in?

Have had the vents installed since the beginning of 2006. No problems with water to date effecting any sensors. Yes we get water/snow in Indiana and I've not had any issues; plus my XJ sits outside as it's to big to fit into the garage at home.

I run them on several other of our Jeeps and none of them have had issues either.

Some guys have made "drip pans" for them as they worry about water. Here is a pic of Eric's drip pans;

vents25.jpg

I'm liking those vents more and more. Where's a good source for them, eBay, or? And what's a good price for a pair?

They'll pop up on here from time to time, this is where I got my pair. I paid $60 for em, which seems to be the normal running for em (at least when I got em) because of the popularity of em with the 4.0L crowd. I'd check out Ebay or your local junk yard, as well as maybe toss up a wanted thread here on the club.

~Alex

I did a search on eBay, and saw some snowmobile vents that might work. I'm waiting to hear back from the sellers as to the dimensions of those vents. But the pics I've seen in this thread look very cool, and they're functional. As for the tabs, those are just metal stock bent at a 90-degree angle, with a hole drilled thru them?

I ended up using 1/2 x 3/4 angle, and aprox 1.5" long. I than drilled a hole in the center of the 3/4 side for the bolt. You can find it at your local hardware store, and just cut it into pieces.

I've sold close to 150 sets of vents over the past few years. I've typically got a few pairs in stock. PM me if your interested in a set.

Got my snowmobile vents today that I bought off eBay ($8 incl shipping!), and played around with placement on the hood. The overall length and width for each vent is 6" x 4", and the cutout areas will have to be about 4.5" x 3".

Good idea to look under the hood, to make sure it clears everything and isn't directly over any critical parts (like the distributor and TB). These are considerably smaller than a set of LeBaron vents, so I'll be able to place them farther off center, away from the distributor and TB. My idea for mounting them will be to drill the four holes for the corners on each vent from under the hood, lay down some painter's tape, then do everything else from the top side. That hood is big and heavy, and I'll be doing this by myself, so I plan on doing most of the work from the top. Put down some painter's tape; mark the area to be drilled out for the louvers to sit down into; use a jig saw to cut the hood; test fit and adjust as needed; remove the tape on top and bottom; run some clear fingernail polish along the cut edges for rust prevention; run a small bead of black rtv along the underside edges of the vents, for a water-tight seal (i.e. water doesn't get trapped between the vent and hood); then secure the vents to the hood (not sure if I'm going to use sheet metal screws or bolts).

Am I missing anything?

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 6 years later...
  • 3 years later...
On 10/19/2020 at 12:28 AM, Mac7 said:

How are these holding up?

I don't think anyone in this thread will respond to you. I haven't seen their names on here and I've been here for almost 2 years.

On 10/19/2020 at 1:28 AM, Mac7 said:

How are these holding up?

they still work. I went with pop rivets in mine cause i wanted the detail. but really any hole in the hood will help keep temps down. I see about 15* drop. little bit helps on hot days but i know live in a desert. :crazy: